[comp.sys.apple2] what is Alan Kay up to these days?

allen@ns.network.com (Allen Middleton) (10/27/90)

A friend of mine wants to know how his hero is doing, any information?

robert-s@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (Robert Sheehan ) (10/30/90)

In <1990Oct26.225811.23772@ns.network.com> allen@ns.network.com (Allen Middleton) writes:

>A friend of mine wants to know how his hero is doing, any information?

In July I saw Alan Kay at a conference in Sydney, where he quickly stopped
being a hero of mine.

He showed the video of the two year old girl happily playing with a Macintosh
and said that when he found out she was interested in computers he arranged for
her to get an Apple II(e I presume).  Quote: "She rejected the Apple II".  Much
laughter.  This was at the World Conference on Computers in Education with over
2000 educators present.

OK (no pun intended), I suppose I was being a bit touchy but I expected a
little more loyalty from an Apple Fellow.  He also made a nasty joke later
about MS-DOS.

Robert.

In article <robert-s.657246299@aucs7.cs.aukuni.ac.nz> robert-s@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (Robert Sheehan ) writes:
>In July I saw Alan Kay at a conference in Sydney, where he quickly stopped
>being a hero of mine.
	Good (that he quickly stopped being a hero of yours).

	By the way, isn't he the dude who came up with the DynaBook concept?

>He showed the video of the two year old girl happily playing with a Macintosh
>and said that when he found out she was interested in computers he arranged for
>her to get an Apple II(e I presume).  Quote: "She rejected the Apple II".  Much
>laughter.  This was at the World Conference on Computers in Education with over
>2000 educators present.

	I wish you had "been a jerk" and yelled "BOOOOOOOH" as loudly as
you could after everyone stopped laughing. And/or talked to him afterwards
if he kept talking to people who stayed after and told him about your
qualms with his "joke". {I wouldn't have the guts to "boo" at a conference..
I didn't have the guts to spaz at this damn lady at the_worst_computer_store_
_in_existance, Computer Plus, in Sunnyvale.. Unfortunately it was started
by Woz's brother too!  Well, sometime in the last year or so I went in to
get a fresh System Disk because something happened to mine.. Well, the
stupid lady couldn't ^openapplereset because she didn't realize you have to
hold the ^openapple down for a little longer after you let go of reset..
So she said something like "stupid computer" in a regular tone of voice.
AND I AM/WAS A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER OF HERS! I wish I had said I'm never
buying anything here, because of what you just said}

>OK (no pun intended), I suppose I was being a bit touchy but I expected a
>little more loyalty from an Apple Fellow.  He also made a nasty joke later
>about MS-DOS.
	Well, that's acceptable... {1/2 j/k}
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

jbtubman@skyler.calarc.ARC.AB.CA (Jim Tubman) (11/01/90)

Alan Kay showed the same video at a conference in Calgary a couple of years
ago.  I thought it was quite fascinating.  The little girl's rejection of
the Apple II and her effective use of the Mac were facts -- booing facts
proves nothing.

You should have gone up Alan and talked to him after his presentation.
At the Calgary conference, he was very approachable, and stayed for quite
a long time after his lecture to chat with people.

He's still one of my heroes.

James B. Tubman				 Alberta Research Council
Expert Systems Researcher                Advanced Computing & Engineering Dept.
jbtubman@noah.arc.ab.ca			 3rd Floor
jbtubman%noah.arc.ab.ca@relay.ubc.ca	 6815 - 8 Street NE
Phone: (403) 297-2600			 Calgary, Alberta
Fax:   (403) 275-3003			 Canada T2E 7H7
"A just machine to make big decisions,
 Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision."		-- Donald Fagan
James B. Tubman				 Alberta Research Council
Expert Systems Researcher                Advanced Computing & Engineering Dept.
jbtubman@noah.arc.ab.ca			 3rd Floor
jbtubman%noah.arc.ab.ca@relay.ubc.ca	 6815 - 8 Street NE
Phone: (403) 297-2234			 Calgary, Alberta