[comp.sys.apple2] LC's "Apple IIe Card"

sb@pnet91.uucp (Stephen Brown) (10/28/90)

Why does Apple (and everyone else, here...) continue to insist that the card
for the LC is an Apple IIe card. It isn't, and it's an insult to the average
Apple IIe owner's intelligence to suggest so. It is an Apple IIc card. Do you
see any slots? Are all the usual peripherals built-in? If the answers to these
questions are "no" and "yes", then I'm afraid its a IIc, not a IIe.

Now, if I recall, the IIc didn't do too well compared to the IIe. Perhaps the
LC, with its closed architecture, relatively high price tag, and IIc-card
(**note I didn't make the mistake**) will die too. Can't say I wish it any
success.

Don't waste your flame-power on me.
Apple II FOREVER.
Stephen Brown, Willowdale, Ontario, CANADA.

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/29/90)

On Sun, 28 Oct 90 04:00:05 GMT Stephen Brown said:
>Why does Apple (and everyone else, here...) continue to insist that the card
>for the LC is an Apple IIe card. It isn't, and it's an insult to the average
>Apple IIe owner's intelligence to suggest so. It is an Apple IIc card. Do you
>see any slots? Are all the usual peripherals built-in? If the answers to these
>questions are "no" and "yes", then I'm afraid its a IIc, not a IIe.

I think Apple calls it a //e card because of the 'software slots'.  From what
I understand about it (I might be wrong, but this is what I read), on the mac
side, you have icons of slots and can drag icons of certain pieces of hardware
onto them to emulate slots.  I, personally, think it's a //c card too.  I
think another reason they call it a //e card is because it'll probably sell
better than calling it a //c card.  The 'ROMs' may be the same ROMs as the
real //e and not the //c.  I don't know about the ROMs thiny, but that's just
a guess.

>UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
>INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

|CENSORED   CENSORED    CENSORED   C |                               |
|ED  CENSORED  CENSORED CENSORED  CEN|  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|ENSORED   CENSORED  CENSORED  CENSOR|  pro-line:                    |
|ORED  CEBSORED  CENSORED  CENSORED C|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (10/31/90)

I'll tell ya why.  Because as much as we'd like to believe different, there
was a difference between the //e and //c that was beyond the phyisical.  There
were different ROMs for those machines.  Not owning one, I cannot quite naild
down exactly what the differences were but they were there.  Someone once told
me that you could format a disk using just a ROM routine or command.  If this
is true, this would illustrate the differences.  Yes, the //e had slots but it
was the most vanilla of the machines.  I should change vanilla to 'straight
forward' to make that point.

Other than that, I agree with your principle here.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (11/01/90)

There are many ways that the IIe and IIc differ, above and beyond the physical
construction of these machines. For example, I'm 90% sure that the IIc's
mini-assembler supports the 65C02 opcodes, while the IIe's don't. There are
subtle differences in the firmware. Of course, the 'enhancement kit" (65C02 +
new firmware and character set ROMs) were designed to make the IIe closer to
the IIc.

But ROMs don't entirely define a computer. And EVEN if the LC's IIC emulator
card HAD exact duplicates of IIe's ROM (which I highly doubt!) the fact that
it lacks physical slots, has stuff already in its invisible slots, etc.
precludes it from being much like a IIe at all. (I wonder if its serial ports
are like an SSC, or totally strange.)Closed architecture is just that!

My point perhaps, is that Apple is calling it something that people can relate
to, ie. educators can relate to the IIe, even though the REALITY is that its
not a IIe, its not a IIc, but of anything, it EMULATES a IIc more.

Its a marketing tactic, which may be convenient in terms of selling computers,
but has little correlation with reality (or truth, for that matter). Hey,
something like Sculley's promise to release a 2 new Apple II CPU's... :-(

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com