[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Official Says "No New Apple II's"

ronl@pnet91.cts.com (Ron Lewin) (10/25/90)

From GEnie:
Apple II RoundTable

Category 5,  Topic 14

Message 1         Wed Oct 24, 1990

AIIDTS                       at 20:08 EDT

Here's some clarification about the "phasing out the Apple II line" quote:

In the Tuesday 10/16 edition of the San Francisco Chronicle in an article on

the new Apple product roll-out, a reporter misrepresented a statement by Bob

Puette and claimed that Puette had confirmed that Apple was "phasing out the

Apple II line".  Needless to say, the Puette comment was taken way out of

context and does not represent Puette s stated intent nor Apple company

policy.

Following is a clarification from Bob Puette to set the record straight:

"We remain committed to our millions of Apple II customers and we want to make

 sure that they understand the high level of support that Apple has behind the

 Apple II product line. We want Apple II owners to remain happy with their

investment in Apple II technology and we continue to look for more ways to

protect that investment and extend the life of Apple II products -- both as

standalone computers and as part of networks.

We will continue to sell, support, and service the Apple II product line and

provide product enhancements to that line as long as customer demand warrants

it.  We plan to continue to enhance the existing product line through updates

to system software and peripheral add-ons.  We fully expect Apple II computers

 to continue to serve education and other customers satisfactorily for many

years to come.

On the other hand, we have no plans at this time to introduce new, standalone

Apple II models.  However, we will incorporate Apple II technology into

current  and future platforms, as we have with the Apple IIe card for the

Macintosh LC.  We believe that this compatibility strategy will preserve

customers'  investments in Apple II, while allowing them to move to new

technology  platforms if they wish."

 --- Robert Puette, president of Apple USA.

----------

There you go...  If I see one more post on this newsgroup about the new ROM04
GS with "super double-groovy hires 3-d graphics and 20mhz", I'll puke.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ronl
INET: ronl@pnet91.cts.com

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/26/90)

>On the other hand, we have no plans at this time to introduce new, standalone
>Apple II models.  However, we will incorporate Apple II technology into
>
> --- Robert Puette, president of Apple USA.

$#@ @#%@ ^$$%^% %$%$%$ ^%^%^% %$$# %$! &^! ^%%&! ^%$#@ &^%$#@! *&^%$#@!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I THINK IT'S TIME START A LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^%$#@ ^%$#@! ^%$#@! ^%$#@! &^%$# &^%$# (*&^%$#@ &*^%$# @! *&^%$ ^%$#!!

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/27/90)

In article <39@generic.UUCP> ronl@pnet91.cts.com (Ron Lewin) writes:
>From GEnie:
>Apple II RoundTable
>
>Category 5,  Topic 14
>
>Message 1         Wed Oct 24, 1990
>
>AIIDTS                       at 20:08 EDT
>

>Here's some clarification about the "phasing out the Apple II line" quote:

[clarification of a newspaper article regarding the fate of the AppleII
 by Bob Puette]

Hmm...this is possibly very discouraging. Now just to clarify, does Apple
consider the GS as part of the AppleII line? If so, then this quote from
Mr.Puette would seem to imply that Apple intends on producing a GS on
a board for a Mac( otherwise they would not be protecting GS users'
software investments,etc...).

As I understand it Mr. Puette was previously involved with the HP micro
division.

Years ago I was the proud user of a Unix personal computer- the transportable
HP Integral. This was one of the finest micros every made. I also used
a portable HP110 and an HP150(touchscreen).

It became clear to me, and I assume many others, that HP( at least the micro
division) had been taken over by non engineers. In fact they virtually
had to deengineer their computers in order to become just another IBM clone
maker, but a quality one( I am talking about their micro division). At the
same time the Integral was simply dropped. It was an odd situation as
IPC users couldn't upgrade to the workstation 300 line( the 9000 line).
And they couldn't downgrade to a Vectra( IBM clone). Very quickly the
computer simply went away( of course it had nowhere near the user base of
the GS). Through all of this I had a wonderful dealer, but to this day I
refuse to buy an HP product.

Assuming that Mr.Puette is the person who turned HP into a clone maker at
the micro level, it is hardly surprising to see this statement which is
being attributed to him.

Oh well, yet another company to stop worrying about...

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions, and they are very deeply held when it comes to HP and now?]

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/27/90)

 .physics.utoronto.ca!utstat!philip@UCSD.EDU>

On Sat, 27 Oct 90 05:38:55 GMT Philip McDunnough said:

>.............................................................. does Apple
>consider the GS as part of the AppleII line? If so, then this quote from

Of course!  That's why it's called the  Apple II...GS.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/29/90)

In article <9010261529.AA10266@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>I THINK IT'S TIME START A LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no, not another one! Why waste the paper? I would suggest that users
who feel strongly on this issue investigate computer companies other than
Apple. Perhaps turning comp.sys.apple2 into an informed information source
for AppleII() users' other options might be something to think about. The
writing is on the wall. Stay with Apple and you lock yourselves into their
way of thinking. Clearly, their way of thinking does not appeal to you and
many others! May I suggest that you think twice before putting your trust
in a single sourced vendor next time?

Apple makes very nice products. There is a price to pay for joining that
club. You lock yourself into a very proprietary company. As far as I know,
the Intel world and to a certain extent the Unix world are the closest
things you are going to find when it comes to open systems. The sad truth
is that the MS-DOS,etc...is the open system available today that is in
wide use. People's software investments are safe there. It isn't clear what
Apple will do to GS owners. Maybe it will all turn out ok. But it won't be
because of a letter campaign. It will be because Apple sees itself losing
the confidence of its users. That does not yet appear to be th case.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (10/30/90)

Yea, let's start a letter writing campaine!  Anyone know the address of Lazer
computers?

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (10/31/90)

Isn't it a shame that John Sculley doesn't have a public Internet mailbox
address? No need to kill trees...just Email your complaints.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/31/90)

In article <9431.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>Isn't it a shame that John Sculley doesn't have a public Internet mailbox
>address? No need to kill trees...just Email your complaints.

Maybe I should clarify things a bit. I don't have any complaints against
John Sculley, Apple Computer Inc., etc...I just feel somewhat disappointed
that there are so few companies out there who care. In particular, it is
difficult leaving the Mac world. I've enjoyed it a lot. The Mac is a very
nice computer. So is the GS. But at some point you have to do what you
feel is best for your computing/work needs. I have concluded that a GS at
home and a NeXT at work is best for me. Others no doubt have different
needs. The Mac was nice( as was the GS). I have simply lost faith in the
capability of Apple to respond to the needs of many of their users. What
can I say but that I hope they prove me wrong. I do not wish to be viewed
as complaining or begging or whatever to Apple. They have made certain
decisions. I happen not to like them. There are other companies out there.
That was one reason why I thought comp.sys.apple2 could be used as a
good vehicule of discussion in helping people move on to another platform.
The AppleII() users form a wonderful group. I would hope that they would
all move on to a platform where they could find peace and where they could
best make use of their obvious abilities.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu->[my opinions]

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (11/02/90)

Phil,
 You're is one of the few truely mature attitudes I've seen here on the net
regarding the Mac/Apple // debate. Personally, I like the looks of the NeXT
box myself but can't afford one yet. I also really like my //GS despite the
fact that it can't do some things some Macs can do. I plan to use my //GS
until the day it won't function. Then I will evaluate all the CPU's out there
again and determine which one best suits my home computing needs. A priority
would be Unix ability so the NeXT and the Amiga 3000 are the main contenders
now.