[comp.sys.apple2] User generated software

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (10/31/90)

If we want to see user generated software in the future, then we
need cheaply accessible languages for the user to have access to.
Obviously there are two right off the top of my head I can think of
- Applesoft and mini-assembler.  Personally, I have no intention
of writing any code in mini-assembler - I will dump my Apple and get
something else if that is the alternative I am expected to use.
On the other hand, though Applesoft is buggy, ugly, and very limited,
it can be used if necessary to get a limited amount of
programming done.

Anyone know of any ports of existing freeware programming languages
to the Apple II - especially GS/OS and the IIgs?  In particular, I
would really like to find low cost implementations of software is which
trivially extentible (even if only like C).

I believe that there is a Forth programming environment available as well,
now that I think of it.

What other languages are available out there?
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/01/90)

In article <9010311420.AA10881@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>Anyone know of any ports of existing freeware programming languages
>to the Apple II - especially GS/OS and the IIgs?  In particular, I
>would really like to find low cost implementations of software is which
>trivially extentible (even if only like C).

Assuming you desire implementations that run on the IIGS itself, not on
a Macintosh, there are no good, free implementations of any high-level
language other than Forth that I know of, and I keep my eyes open for
such things.

The IIGS and GS/OS pretty much require that executables be produced in
OMF format.  Tools for dealing with this environment are nearly all
based on the Apple IIGS Programmer's Workshop (APW) environment, which
means the ORCA shell with ORCA and Apple DTS developed utilities.  APW
is available via APDA, which is run by Apple in Cupertino, and ORCA is
available from ByteWorks and dealers who stock ByteWorks products.

The two usable C compilers for the IIGS are APW C, which was produced
under contract by Megamax and seems to be largely based on the 4.1BSD
flavor of C, which is pretty much outdated, and ORCA/C, which as of
release 1.1 seems capable of supporting real application development
so long as one is on the lookout for implementation bugs.  ORCA/Pascal
and TML Pascal II are the two widely used implementations of Pascal
for the IIGS; since I haven't used either of them I won't attempt to
describe them.  MDL BASIC seems to be the only viable compiled BASIC
for the IIGS.

For assembly-language programming, the APW and ORCA/M assemblers are
pretty much the same; Merlin 8/16+ is a non-APW development environment
that includes the ability to cross-develop for 8-bit Apple targets.
Manx Software Systems' Aztec C is the only 8-bit Apple II C compiler
and shell environment that I could recommend.

Note that all these are commercial products.  The few freeware ones
that I know of do not really save you anything if you take into account
the consequences of having to cope with their serious deficiencies.

greyelf@wpi.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (11/02/90)

In article <9010311420.AA10881@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>If we want to see user generated software in the future, then we
>need cheaply accessible languages for the user to have access to.

agreed.  I don't write software for others anymore because I don't
want to make the investment to buy a more complete
language system.

>Anyone know of any ports of existing freeware programming languages
>to the Apple II - especially GS/OS and the IIgs?

Hyper C and Mad apple forth are both available for anonymous ftp
from plains.nodak.edu.  Use ls -l for subdirectory listings.

>Larry W. Virden
>Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu
>Personal: 674 Falls Place,   Reynoldsburg,OH 43068-1614
>Proline: lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com  America Online: lvirden CIS: [75046,606]

--
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to

ronl@pnet91.cts.com (Ron Lewin) (11/02/90)

>MDL (sic) BASIC seems to be the only viable compiled BASIC for the IIgs.

Without getting into the fact the MD-BASIC programs run under Applesoft, you
are completely forgetting Micol Advanced BASIC, the powerful BASIC language
system (in two distinct versions, one for the GS, another for the IIe/c) which
rivals any other compiler on the Apple II line.  And what also makes Micol
Advanced BASIC even better for Apple II users is that it builds on Applesoft
knowledge in an easy to use environment.  C and Pascal under APW is not easy
to learn, and requires the people who have spent years with Applesoft to throw
all their knowledge away.

If you have any questions about Micol Advanced BASIC, please mail me.

Ron

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ronl
INET: ronl@pnet91.cts.com