[comp.sys.apple2] From a fairly new FTP user. . .

WKF2298@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Wonko the Sane) (10/31/90)

	Okay, I'm still fairly new with FTP but I've been scouting around
seeing what I can find.
	Tell me, is there some "goldmine" out there to be found for GS
stuff?  I'm hearing talk about all these neat programs like Cosmocade &
Photonix II.  Where are they?  I've tried to FTP to comp.binaries.apple
and my system tells me that there is no such host.
	Where are all these good things?  I'm not yet connected with
anything like Genie, etc.  But surely there must be some place with the same
things.  Or am I just dreaming. . .
	The best I've found so far is wuarchive.wustl.edu.  Any other good
suggestions?

	Thanks.

						William K. Fry
						Wonko the Sane
						wkf2298@ritvax

In article <1059516F37FFE0507C@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> WKF2298@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Wonko the Sane) writes:
>	Okay, I'm still fairly new with FTP but I've been scouting around
>seeing what I can find.
>	Tell me, is there some "goldmine" out there to be found for GS
>stuff?  I'm hearing talk about all these neat programs like Cosmocade &
>Photonix II.  Where are they?  I've tried to FTP to comp.binaries.apple
>and my system tells me that there is no such host.

	Comp.binaries.apple2 isn't an FTP site, it's another newsgroup
(like this one, comp.sys.apple2, or like my other favorites like rec.arts.tv,
rec.games.video, alt.folklore.urban, etc.. heh heh)..

	So at the rn main prompt type "g comp.binaries.apple2" (without
quotes obviously), and then it'll probably ask you if you want to subscribe
to it..

	Then read the files and get software.. You'll need BINSCII or
SCIIBIN (which is Binscii for UNIX) and ShrinkIT.

	Cosmocade is on tybalt.caltech.edu (which IS an ftp site).
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/01/90)

In article <1059516F37FFE0507C@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> WKF2298@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Wonko the Sane) writes:
>Tell me, is there some "goldmine" out there to be found for GS stuff?
>I'm hearing talk about all these neat programs like Cosmocade & Photonix II.
>Where are they?

I don't know about Photonix II, but Cosmocade and other shareware and
freeware are available from a variety of places.  I usually download them
from America On-Line, Genie, or (occasionally) CompuServe Information
Service.  Some of these are also archived at Internet sites such as
tybalt.caltech.edu.

>I've tried to FTP to comp.binaries.apple and my system tells me that
>there is no such host.

That's right; comp.binaries.apple2 is the name of a USEnet news group,
not a host.

In article <8358@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Comp.binaries.apple2 isn't an FTP site, it's another newsgroup
>(like this one, comp.sys.apple2, ...)

Just a reminder:  Not everyone reading these articles does so via USEnet.
Many, particularly on BITNET but also on some DoD Internet sites, instead
subscribe to the "INFO-APPLE" mailing list that is now centrally
administered at Apple.COM.  (It was formerly administered at BRL.MIL.)

UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (11/02/90)

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get tybalt.caltech.edu to work anymore...

Mike
---
Mike Aos       "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"  ['68 Sporty]
East Grand Forks, MN (yeah, it's COLD up here)      Are Amiga's really
(218) 773-9154                  | Woz  |                that bad?
UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?) |  Apple IIgs | "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu    | (and Sun 2/120) | -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
 I like to trade.    | 'till I can afford a NeXT |  (reserved for a Mac slam)
       "O captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
        The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,
        The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting."
                       _O Captain, My Captain_   -Walt Whitman