[comp.sys.apple2] New Macs

In article <NAGENDRA.90Oct12174424@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>Hum, I wonder if Apple is planning to give people with Apple II's free
>exchanges to MAC II's.  Actually, Apple does stupid things like this, so
>maybe we will all get free Mac II's!

	Well I don't want to exchange my GS for a Mac II.. if someone were
to just GIVE me a Mac II I'd take it (and use it, not sell it immediately)..
Some of the graphic things on the Mac II are kinda neat actually.. (There
was some kind of program [maybe a desk accessory] I saw on a housemate's
Mac II which was borrowed from work (Apple)... It was some kind of 3-D demo
that was really colorful.. I think you went through a tunnel or something..
We basically described it as "a 90s lava lamp" because you could just sit
and watch this thing for like 10 minutes without any drugs and be going
"oooh...wow")

	I just saw an ad during "Twin Peaks" from Apple ABOUT THEIR NEW
COMPUTERS! They showed them! So the October 15th date really means
nothing... They -HAVE- announced them already. And they even officially
said (through some guy at the school bookstore I harrassed about Apple's
double-standard "nondisclosure" policy) they were announcing new Macs on
the 15th... (a few weeks ago he said this)

	Back to the quoted stuff... If I could exchange my GS for a Mac II,
I guess I would because then I could sell it and get a couple of GSes (one
for school and one for home so I don't have to keep transporting it!)

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (10/16/90)

Well, I just took at look at these new Macs, or atleast the si and the lc.

Neither one are all that special. In fact, in some ways, their damned stupid.

The Mac LC, the cheap-color thing that's supposed to get the //e
emulation board, is basically a $2500 Mac // without NuBus slots. It
also has no math-coprocessor, something that some vendor-code takes for
granted. That's a lose.

The price does not cover a monitor, which will run you another $600+. 2
megs RAM and a 40 meg drive are thrown in for free, but I'm not sure
about a keyboard. The one slot is a Processor Direct to the machine's
020.... there are no cards that will fit it right now.

The Mac //si is intended for the Low-end Unix workstation market. It
comes with an 80 meg drive and 5 megs RAM. The price is $4600
(monochrome). There is one slot, and the math-coprocessor is an option.
To get A/UX, you shell out another $800-1000, and another $300 for
Apple's X-windows. No word on a mouse with more than one button.

With only a 20 MHz 68030, the //si is a lose for a workstation. And once
you add in the cost of A/UX and a mega-pixel monitor (the little
monitors just won't do for X-windows), your cost is horrendous. I am
aware that this is supposed to fit in with the '386-Unix crowd, but why
bother when a Sparc is so cheap? or better yet, buy a NeXT?

The point of this article? Well, there are so many Macs now that I have
lost track of them, and Apple's marketing seems pretty brain-dead all
over. They seriously lost stock with the //fx ($10,000) and they aren't
being too smart about things now, either. A low cost color Mac // is
needed, but not stripped of basics like slots and math-chips. And the
//si is just too much trouble for too little.

All this time, sweat, and effort could have been spent doing better
things, like a new Apple //.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Rafael Yu) (10/18/90)

  I just when to a local computer store and saw the "so called" new Macs.  Well,
what a joke.  Old macs on new cases.  The Mac Classical is just a plus with an
internal hard drive.  The Mac LC is just an old and discontinue Mac // with only
one expansion slot.  About the //si, well I don't know what it reasemble but
there is definitivetly no new technology involve.
  The prices.  well there is no real low cost.  I have seen the Mac plus sold
for as little as $600 from the same store, now the classic is been sold at $800
so actually I see an increase in price since the Mac plus is been drop.  For
the price of an LC, $2,499 suggested retail price, which means about $2000
street price (this is without monitor folks) you can buy an Amiga, IIgs, or IBM
for that price and you get the same features plus expansion slots.

   Also, there is something I have notice with the new monitors.  The new RGB
monitor has a smaller resolution, 512 x 384, compare to 640 x 480 of the
High-resolution RGB monitor.  So, if you use a Mac II game that use the full
(640 x 480) mac resolution in one of this monitors, you get only half of what
you are suppose to get.  If you don't believe me, try running Shangai 2.0 on
the SI with the new RGB monitor, half of the pieces end up outside the screen
making the game very hard to play....

   So, now I don't understand what Apple, Inc. is trying to do.  The are now
about 9+ different Mac models with very little difference between systems.  And,
all we Apple II users are asking is for more support and at least 1 (just 1)
aditional // system.  Mostly an improved //gs with better graphics, faster CPU,
and better System Software.  Is that a lot to ask...?

dragon@pawl.rpi.edu (Dragon) (10/18/90)

In article <12630658251010@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Rafael Yu) writes:
[stuff about Macs removed]
>all we Apple II users are asking is for more support and at least 1 (just 1)
>aditional // system.  Mostly an improved //gs with better graphics, faster CPU,
>and better System Software.  Is that a lot to ask...?

I don't think it's a lot to ask... In fact, I'm hoping for the same.  The
  trouble is, does it to any good to ask?  (ask here, anyway)  Does anyone
  from Apple Inc. (or other relavent place) still read this newsgroup??

       -D

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/18/90)

In article <K'1%PC_@rpi.edu> dragon@pawl.rpi.edu (Dragon) writes:
>  trouble is, does it to any good to ask?  (ask here, anyway)  Does anyone
>  from Apple Inc. (or other relavent place) still read this newsgroup??

I remember that Dave Lyons popped in a few days ago.  Word has it that Matt
Deatherage got sick of the flamefest and has permanently unsubscribed to
comp.sys.apple2. :-( As for anyone else at Apple...who knows?

What would be _really_ interesting would be to get John Sculley in here for
a while so he could see what a mess he's let Apple's II ops get into. :-)
BTW, is "sculley@apple.com" really his email address?  You'd think he'd have
something a bit, er, tougher to figure out--so he could avoid the barrage of
hate mail he's no doubt gotten since his address was leaked. :-)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (10/18/90)

In article <K'1%PC_@rpi.edu> dragon@pawl.rpi.edu (Dragon) writes:
>  Does anyone
>  from Apple Inc. (or other relavent place) still read this newsgroup??

Yes. Do they hang around long during the whining? No. While I was out
there, I heard a lot of griping from the DTS guys saying they're sick
of hearing that they're not doing anything. They're doing *plenty*.
How much of it is visible to you and me? Not much. They have the sort
of job that is only noticed when it's done badly. They don't even get
so much as a thank-you when they do their job well.

You want to gripe to the people that make decisions - not to the
people who know what they're doing :-) Give Apple a call and ask for
their marketing dept. or someone high up in product development. Give
*them* a piece of your mind. Or better yet, point out clearly why you
think they're botching things up. Best of all, WRITE A LETTER!

--
Dave Whitney			| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
Computer Science MIT 1990	| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.120309.3983@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>... I heard a lot of griping from the DTS guys saying they're sick
>of hearing that they're not doing anything.

Perhaps "the DTS guys" should learn to read.  I don't recall any claims
that DTS hasn't been doing their jobs.  To the contrary, there have been
frequent thanks to DTS staff posted here.  The flamage has been against
Apple the corporation, meaning Apple corporate management.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.120309.3983@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:

[stuff re Apple people griping about the attitudes of their users...]

>You want to gripe to the people that make decisions - not to the
>people who know what they're doing :-) Give Apple a call and ask for
>their marketing dept. or someone high up in product development. Give
>*them* a piece of your mind. Or better yet, point out clearly why you
>think they're botching things up. Best of all, WRITE A LETTER!

Oh come on. Don't insult my/intelligence. Have you ever talked to Apple's
marketing people?

I realize you want to work for Apple, and have done some fine work for the
GS, but Apple has a long way to go to appease both GS and Mac users. At
their product roll out in the lobby of the building where I work, the Apple
people were there trying their best not to exhibit their past attitudes. I
don't think their training period was quite long enough.

As I was simply walking to my office, and was not interested in repackaged
computers, I dared to ask about their 040 plans. After receiving the "we
don't comment about unannounced products" line, I indicated that a very
large grant application depended on that. Still no go, until one of their
people realized the consequences( a NeXT representative had just walked in).
I was then quickly given a card and phone number.

Having been a Mac user for a long time, this really was the last straw. My
questions re the GS,040 having been rebuffed, an order for a NeXT cube went
out the next day. I really don't have time to play games with Apple's reps
who seem, for the large part, very uninformed when it comes to either the
high end or the low end. It's a bit difficult breaking ties with the Mac. It
is a nice computer. I hope Apple does well with their new plan. They will
have me as a GS customer, but the rest of my needs will be shifting away
from them.

I guess the bottome line here is that Apple has come out with products they
should have had 2 years ago. When they have clearly shown they care about
their users, I will be happy to return.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct19.020133.28119@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>I guess the bottome line here is that Apple has come out with products they
>should have had 2 years ago. When they have clearly shown they care about
>their users, I will be happy to return.

I kind of go along with this, with one modification.  They should have
come out with a Mac with IIe compatibility a few years ago instead of
the IIGS.  What we got instead back in '86 was a "Mac-like" computer
with IIe compatibility.  Now they finally came out with the Mac LC/IIe
and orphaned the IIGS.  I just don't understand the logic or business
sense of this move.  If they had come out with this combo back in
86/87 I probably would have bought it then as the next logical upgrade
for my IIe (which I was looking to upgrade at that time anyway).  I
thought it was great that I could get a computer with better graphics
and sound with a Finder-like interface that could still run my IIe
software.  The IIe compatibility (or lack thereof) was what kept me
from buying a Mac at that time (the same time that the first color
Macs were hitting the market as well).  Now that I have the IIGS, I
don't ever really plan on buying a Mac.  I don't want to give up the
IIGS software and sound capabilities I've come to like so much.
However, I might consider a Mac with IIGS compatibility as the next
logical upgrade path for me to take, if it ever becomes available.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct19.020133.28119@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <1990Oct18.120309.3983@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>
>[stuff re Apple people griping about the attitudes of their users...]
>
>>think they're botching things up. Best of all, WRITE A LETTER!
>
>Oh come on. Don't insult my/intelligence. Have you ever talked to Apple's
>marketing people?

I wasn't trying to. It seems that most people here think that the
incessant whining does any good. These people need to write letters on
paper and address them to top managment. I haven't dealt with anyone
at marketing or whatever myself.

--

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/21/90)

In article <Ab6TmiC00VQp0A9VxH@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

>Well, I just took at look at these new Macs, or atleast the si and the lc.
>Neither one are all that special. In fact, in some ways, their damned stupid.

I don't agree. The LC and the si will both find a niche. For colour Mac
systems they are reasonably priced.

>The Mac LC, the cheap-color thing that's supposed to get the //e
>emulation board, is basically a $2500 Mac // without NuBus slots. It
>also has no math-coprocessor, something that some vendor-code takes for
>granted. That's a lose.

I asume people will come out with PDS boards that add a 6881. They already
have 030 PDS boards ready to go from dayStar I belive. The IIe board is
strictly to allow a better bridge between the Mac line and the II() line.
I still can't see what is wrong with that. The strategy makes sense if
Apple lowers the GS price and brings out the ROM04. The LC will sell well.
Not much software requires a math coprocessor. The people who need this
type of performance are unlikely to buy an LC anyway.

>The price does not cover a monitor, which will run you another $600+. 2
>megs RAM and a 40 meg drive are thrown in for free, but I'm not sure
>about a keyboard. The one slot is a Processor Direct to the machine's
>020.... there are no cards that will fit it right now.

Cards have been announced. The computer is not oriented to having slots.
Nothing wrong with that. Slots cost money.

>The Mac //si is intended for the Low-end Unix workstation market. It
>comes with an 80 meg drive and 5 megs RAM. The price is $4600
>(monochrome). There is one slot, and the math-coprocessor is an option.
>To get A/UX, you shell out another $800-1000, and another $300 for
>Apple's X-windows. No word on a mouse with more than one button.

The si is very reasonably priced. It is hardly aimed at the A/UX market.
The ci is a better platform for that and not much more expensive. As
far as A/UX goes, it is not clear what the educational marketing plan
is for that as universities usually already have a site licence for
Unix.

>With only a 20 MHz 68030, the //si is a lose for a workstation. And once
>you add in the cost of A/UX and a mega-pixel monitor (the little
>monitors just won't do for X-windows), your cost is horrendous. I am
>aware that this is supposed to fit in with the '386-Unix crowd, but why
>bother when a Sparc is so cheap? or better yet, buy a NeXT?

Well I can't argue with your recommendation to buy a NeXT as that is what
I did. However, a 20 MHz 030 is hardly a slouch. Not too long ago the
better workstations were all using it. The real problem with the Mac and
UNIX is the throughput issue. The fx tries to address this but at a
rather inflated price. In any case, the si is not aimed at A/UX people.
If Apple can just recover some of its early enthusiasm, remind its
dealers that the customer is king and exploit the GS they will be back
on the right track. They make nice products. I suspect they simply grew
too fast and lost track of the importance of their customers. The 6882
is an inexpensive option.

>The point of this article? Well, there are so many Macs now that I have
>lost track of them, and Apple's marketing seems pretty brain-dead all
>over. They seriously lost stock with the //fx ($10,000) and they aren't
>being too smart about things now, either. A low cost color Mac // is
>needed, but not stripped of basics like slots and math-chips. And the
>//si is just too much trouble for too little.

Why does a low cost colour Mac need slots? Most MacII users hardly use
their slots. Don't forget that SCSI will take you a long way. I do
agree with the IIfx not being terribly appealing to its target audience.
I doubt that Apple's marketing is "pretty brain-dead". Apple has sold
a lot of computers. A heathy GS needs a healthy Mac. Remember that.
As for math chips, low-end users don't need them. The si is not a lot
of trouble. You simply have to decide whether you prefer NuBus or PDS.

>All this time, sweat, and effort could have been spent doing better
>things, like a new Apple //.

How do you know that a new GS is not in the works? In any case, getting
low cost Macs out there fast was absolutely critical, with Windows3.0
and the low cost of Intel based computers.

I'd rather be in a stable market than one that requires upgrades every
6 months. There is an advantage to not having new GS's appearing every
other day. I can only assume that Apple will now lower the price of the
current GS and produce their ROM04.

>|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
>|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
>|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
>|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions,etc...]

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (10/22/90)

This message is empty.

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (10/22/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 21-Oct-90 Re: New Macs (was:Re:
surpr.. Philip McDunnough@utstat (4945)

> >The Mac LC, the cheap-color thing that's supposed to get the //e
> >emulation board, is basically a $2500 Mac // without NuBus slots. It
> >also has no math-coprocessor, something that some vendor-code takes for
> >granted. That's a lose.

> I asume people will come out with PDS boards that add a 6881. They already
> have 030 PDS boards ready to go from dayStar I belive.

Well, throwing in the math-chip would not have been any trouble (I gotta
ask why they decided to take it out when they have been building them in
for so long, even as an option), and anyone who is going to do any
numerics, even spreadsheet users, are going to miss the 68881. A third
party card is an idea, but that kills your only slot.

> The IIe board is
> strictly to allow a better bridge between the Mac line and the II() line.
> I still can't see what is wrong with that. The strategy makes sense if
> Apple lowers the GS price and brings out the ROM04. The LC will sell well.
> Not much software requires a math coprocessor.

Well, I would love for ROM04 to appear, but I am no longer holding my
breath, or even speculating. I don't like the LC because it looks too
trimmed down, like when Ford introduced Mustangs years back with
4-cylinder engines. But I agree it will sell well, and it was a needed
product.

> >The Mac //si is intended for the Low-end Unix workstation market.

I based this information on Unix Today, who was reviewing the thing.
Apple targeted this toward the low-end '386-Unix market, or atleast
that's what they told the Unix market. Anyway, I don't see where this
fits in with the //ci, unless the //cx (being fazed out) needs an
immediate replacement. The bottom line is, though, Apple's price-per-MIP
figure is making no sizeable improvement. One still must pay through the
nose for an Apple product, when the market price for these things is
going down.

If Apple would price competitively with the '386 market, even at a
premium, the business world would not be as lop-sided against macs as it
is. In a university environment where special price discounts apply, the
Mac virtually takes over. But in the real world, its still MS-DOS. I can
only attribute this to Apple's sky-high prices.

> I'd rather be in a stable market than one that requires upgrades every
> 6 months. There is an advantage to not having new GS's appearing every
> other day. I can only assume that Apple will now lower the price of the
> current GS and produce their ROM04.

Agreed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (11/01/90)

In article <12932@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins)
says:

>In article <1990Oct19.020133.28119@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat (Philip
>McDunnough) writes:
>>I guess the bottome line here is that Apple has come out with products they
>>should have had 2 years ago. When they have clearly shown they care about
>>their users, I will be happy to return.
>>

>I kind of go along with this, with one modification.
                         .
   [lots of stuff I basically agree with deleted]
                         .
>However, I might consider a Mac with IIGS compatibility as the next
>logical upgrade path for me to take, if it ever becomes available.
>
>Ray
>
>Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
>2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
>Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
><insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

Statments like this have bothered me since this whole thing started.  Why would
you want IIgs compatibility on a Mac II?  Everything the GS can do, the
Mac II's can do better.  Every IIgs program I have has a Mac counterpart that
is more mature and bug-free.  It has higher resolution, better colors, and is
just out-and-out BETTER!  I can sorta see the IIe part (although I don't use
much IIe stuff (ProTerm, Kermit-65 v3.87, and BinSCII...when will there be GS-
specific versions of these?  I don't tell me about GScii, it doesn't work!)
for the old-timer IIe users and schools but it really doesn't appeal to me.
---
Mike Aos       "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"  ['68 Sporty]
East Grand Forks, MN (yeah, it's COLD up here)      Are Amiga's really
(218) 773-9154                  | Woz  |                that bad?
UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?) |  Apple IIgs | "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu    | (and Sun 2/120) | -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
 I like to trade.    | 'till I can afford a NeXT |  (reserved for a Mac slam)
       "O captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
        The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,
        The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting."
                       _O Captain, My Captain_   -Walt Whitman

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (11/02/90)

In article <90304.161217UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET> UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET
(Mike Aos) writes:
>><insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins
>
>Statments like this have bothered me since this whole thing started.  Why would
>you want IIgs compatibility on a Mac II?  Everything the GS can do, the
>Mac II's can do better.  Every IIgs program I have has a Mac counterpart that
>is more mature and bug-free.  It has higher resolution, better colors, and is
>just out-and-out BETTER!  I can sorta see the IIe part (although I don't use
>much IIe stuff (ProTerm, Kermit-65 v3.87, and BinSCII...when will there be GS-
>specific versions of these?  I don't tell me about GScii, it doesn't work!)
>for the old-timer IIe users and schools but it really doesn't appeal to me.
>---
>Mike Aos       "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"  ['68 Sporty]
>East Grand Forks, MN (yeah, it's COLD up here)      Are Amiga's really
>(218) 773-9154                  | Woz  |                that bad?
>UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?) |  Apple IIgs | "Share and Enjoy"
>UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu    | (and Sun 2/120) | -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
> I like to trade.    | 'till I can afford a NeXT |  (reserved for a Mac slam)
>       "O captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
>        The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,
>        The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting."
>                       _O Captain, My Captain_   -Walt Whitman

  Not everything.  How about the Video Overlay Card?  Where's the Mac
  equivalent?

  how about Synthlab or Soundsmith?  The Mac doesn't have the sound
  capabilities of the GS.

  there's a new version of GScii that works
  I don't see any advantage to a GS version of proterm.  I think term programs
  that use GUIs are evil.  Not to mention, Proterm is really fast.  a GS
  specific version would have to deal with a lot of overhead.

  I don't use Kermit.  It's a nice program but I hate Kermit (the protocol).

  besides, the Mac costs lot more and I'm not willing to spend that much money
  on a Mac II when better machines based on the same microprocessor are less
  expensive.  I got my GS at a really great price.  probably at about $1500
  (or maybe more) less than a comparable system would cost today.

	 Collin Douglas

	 cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/02/90)

In article <90304.161217UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET> UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) writes:
>Statments like this have bothered me since this whole thing started.  Why would
>you want IIgs compatibility on a Mac II?  Everything the GS can do, the
>Mac II's can do better.  Every IIgs program I have has a Mac counterpart that
>is more mature and bug-free.

That's not universally true.  For example, in my book Xenocide is itself a
valid reason for owning an Apple IIGS.  You won't find a Mac version of it.
(There are other counterexamples, but one should suffice.)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/02/90)

 <1990Oct19.020133.28119@utstat.uucp> <12932@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>,
	<90304.161217UD169430@NDSUVM1.BITNET>

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/03/90)

On Thu, 1 Nov 90 21:43:51 GMT Collin Broad Douglas said:

>  Not everything.  How about the Video Overlay Card?  Where's the Mac
>  equivalent?

I never thought I'd be defending a Mac to a GS, but VideoLogic makes a Graphic
overlay card that digitizes AND controls a laserDisc player.

>  how about Synthlab or Soundsmith?  The Mac doesn't have the sound
>  capabilities of the GS.

You have a good point here.  I don't know of ANY (not saying they don't exist)
decent music programs for the Mac.  Not even the audio digitizers equal the
GS digitizers.

>  besides, the Mac costs lot more and I'm not willing to spend that much money
>  on a Mac II when better machines based on the same microprocessor are less
>  expensive.  I got my GS at a really great price.  probably at about $1500
>  (or maybe more) less than a comparable system would cost today.

This is my main gripe with the Mac.  Too much $$ for too little performance.
To get a Mac to do everything the an$1850 GS will do (CPU, RGB, ZIP, 3.5", 1Mb)
you'd have to spend at least twice as much, probably even more (I don't have
my mac price sheets with me right now.)

>	 Collin Douglas
>
>	 cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

| This is your brain...              |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
| This is your brain on drugs...     |  pro-line:                    |
| This is your brain on frog licking.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |