[comp.sys.apple2] UseNet/Internet/FTPing, etc.

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (10/31/90)

Unknown User,

Just because someone has FTP access doesn't mean that they are using
rn or nn.  At this site, I have ftp access via Sun3 or NeXT, but neither
have the disk capacity (yet :) for holding a sizable amount of articles
from a full feed.  Hence, we are limited to subscribing to newsgroups
to be received as mail on a PR1ME system (with a very lame mail handler).
If you haven't heard of a PR1ME, it's a fairly antiquated mainframe
with some really strange quirks.  I guess it was relatively cheap, though.

I'm not sure about how people on BITNET handle ftp'ing.  Anyone?

-Dale
prophet@oxy.edu

In article <14291@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Just a reminder:  Not everyone reading these articles does so via USEnet.
>Many, particularly on BITNET but also on some DoD Internet sites, instead
>subscribe to the "INFO-APPLE" mailing list that is now centrally
>administered at Apple.COM.  (It was formerly administered at BRL.MIL.)

	But if you have FTP access, doesn't that pretty much mean you're
reading this through UseNet [or "rn" or "nn" or another newsreader, to be
precise... rn != UseNet]??

	Isn't Bitnet is another network like Internet, correct? Do bitnet
people have ftp access? I thought (but maybe wrongly) that ftp access was
only available to people on the Internet which usually meant you read
news with rn or nn or whatever...

	Maybe I made to many assumptions..

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

drees@plains.NoDak.edu (Steve Drees) (11/01/90)

Some BITNET users have FTP access the IBM 3090 I have access to has FTP access.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/01/90)

In article <8400@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>But if you have FTP access, doesn't that pretty much mean you're
>reading this through UseNet?

No, there is no logical connection between the two.  Several years ago,
most DoD Internet sites read this traffic via an Internet mailing list
instead of via any form of USEnet, yet all Internet sites are required
to support FTP, which is one of the standard Internet protocols.
Conversely, most USEnet participants exchanged USEnet traffic via UUCP,
which was not generally supported by Internet sites.  These days, a
variety of combinations of capabilities exist; for example, at BRL we
have only a limited number of systems capable of UUCP connections, but
most of our departmental shared systems support at least a subset of
USEnet newsgroups (using a variety of user interfaces including "rn",
"rnews", "vnews", and "xnews"), while all of them (apart from toy
computers and systems containing classified information) are on the
Internet or MILnet or both.  (By the way, don't try to break into
BRL's systems -- attempting it is a federal crime, and they are
closely monitored.  There's nothing good here anyway that you can't
get via anonymous FTP from VGR.BRL.MIL or by simply asking for it.)

>Isn't Bitnet is another network like Internet?

BITnet was just a feeble attempt to bring campus IBM mainframes into
the world of internetworking; it has gateways that connect it to the
real Internet and other networks.

>Do bitnet people have ftp access?

That I don't know.  Some gateways merely reroute mail while others
handle a wide range of protocol translations.  Since FTP is just a file
transfer protocol, perhaps a more meaningful question is whether they
can access Internet sites via FTP (on the Internet side).  Probably
some BITnet user can tell us about this.

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (11/01/90)

Usenet, internet, bitnet, ftp, etc. are all quite independent
and may or may not coexist. For example, this machine is on the
internet (psuvm.psu.edu) and bitnet (psuvm). I can ftp. I get usenet
news but I don't use rn to read it (rn is just a program). I can
read this group as a netnews group, or I could subscribe to the
bitnet listserv at ndsuvm1, or I could subscribe to it via
apple.com if I so desired. We have an smtp mailer.

The vax where I used to work was not directly on Internet (although
there was a gateway). It was on a local net with some other computers
in the plant, and one could ftp to these other computers. However,
again, ftp is just a program. In order to use anonymous ftp
to sites on the internet, one would have to have a site on the internet.

Anyway it is possible, although not as common, to have different
combinations of these services available. For example, a bitnet site could
be a unix site running urep, and also be on the internet, but still
contain no mechanism for reading news.

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/02/90)

Yes, BITNET is another network.  No, BITNET users do not normally have
FTP access.  And no, being on Internet guarantees NOTHING about your
mail reader.  For one thing, not all the Internet's a UNIX system.
Some are VMS or VM (CMS) systems which don't run the same mail
software as UNIX systems.  Also, at some sites (such as
andrew.cmu.edu, where I am) use specialized or custom mail software.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (11/03/90)

      Welp...I am on BITNET and I have actual, real FTP access.  No sending
 mail to a server, all I do is type FTP 131.215.139.100 and off I go!  Our
 school also has its own FTP number and I can set my account up for anonymous
 FTP anytime I want.  BTW....we run CMS on an IBM.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 at URIACC

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!