[comp.sys.apple2] GS vs Mac comparisons

In article <9011021825.AA06505@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>I never thought I'd be defending a Mac to a GS, but VideoLogic makes a Graphic
>overlay card that digitizes AND controls a laserDisc player.

This goes for me too, in this article.

>You have a good point here.  I don't know of ANY (not saying they don't exist)
>decent music programs for the Mac.  Not even the audio digitizers equal the
>GS digitizers.

	Well, with this I will disagree completely.

	The main problem on the GS end is software AND hardware though.. Except
possibly on ROM 03 GSes, most if not all GSes seem to have horrible electrical
noise that doesn't allow digitizing very well. This is true with mine and it
seems to be true with many other people's GSes..

	Also, I will disagree about the audio-digitizing too. MacMicrophone
(or whatever it's called) seems like a VERY easy to use program that's VERY
good. It's the program that opens up a wide window that's not very tall and
it shows mainly the visual representation of what you loaded or digitized..

	And then from what I can remember, there are only like 4 icons or
so..  a microphone Icon, an ear (or speaker?) icon, and a few others.

	The GS software that I've used sucks.. The software that came
with my digitizer sucks.. (actually the disk had an I/O error on it, so I had
to get a copy from someone else w/the same card). The card is the usual one
that most other people have whose name I can't forget.. The one made by
the same company that made PBI software.. (PBI who made Alien Mind and
the company that made the sound board and digitizer were really run by
all the same people.. only for tax reasons I presume were they separated.)

	I also tried a different piece of software a few days ago that
seemed like it was closer to what I was looking for. It was a "mostly finished"
(as in only a few of the options didn't work) program by one of the Apple
system software people I believe.. a name I recognized at least... I think it
was a developer tool originally.

	I couldn't get it to digitize anything worth listening to. I had the
stuff coming off of a CD on full volume and then twiddled with everything
in the software and it didn't sound good at all.  But the software itself
also wasn't great, only better than the other one I tried, which isn't
saying much.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (11/03/90)

  Well, about digitizing sounds on the GS.  I've recently had loads of
success digitizing using my SuperSonic.  I've been doing voices off of
CD more than music, so it comes out better.  You can get pretty decent
quality with low digitizing rates.

  In case anyone's interested, I've done:

The intro to "Greasy Kids Stuff" by Steve Vai
"(sproing)Hi Pooh, I'm Tigger, T I double guh err, That spells Tigger!"
"(tap, tap, tap) I'm thumpin, that's why they call me thumper!"
"aaaaaaaaaaah Nirvana"  (Robert Plant)
And a pretty long spoken section from Jane's Addiction's, Stop!

  As well as Good Night and a Good Morning from two Beatles songs.

  Here's my only question: What's the correlation between the
digitizing rate (a number between 0 and 40) and the playback rate
(Hz)?

		-Greg T.