[comp.sys.apple2] NeXT News

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (10/31/90)

(disclaimer : the following is considered news for those interested and
is not by any stretch of the imagination a flame or other derogatory
comment on the IIgs)

Yesterday, I received my Nov '90 copy of BYTE. In it was an article on the
three new NeXT computers (it wasn't the cover story though - that was reserved
for the new Macs - When I looked at their review of the Mac LC, they seemed
aghast that anyone would want Apple IIe compatibility; but that is natural
for BYTE).  The three new NeXT computers were the NeXTStation, the NeXTCube,
and the NeXTStation Color (that's right - COLOR).

The NeXTStation and NeXTStation Color are both pizza-box style computers
(like the Mac LC). I don't think either is expandable. The NeXTCube is a new
68040 version of the old cube. The NeXTStation and NeXTCube are both black
and white systems, but the Cube may be enhanced by a NeXTDimension video card
(Intel i860 RISC processor, 8 Mb RAM for video (not video rams, I think),
expandable to 32 Mb - starting at $1500). No upgrade path from a b/w
NeXTStation to a color one is available. A new version of the NeXTStep OS
was also released (v2.0). I believe the article mentions that the cube will
not be bundled with as much software as in the past.

Also, the new computers come with a 3.5" floppy drive (2.88 Mb) instead of the
erasable optical disk used on the old cube. Pricing is as follows (not with
NeXT's 30% educational discount):

NeXTStation - w/ MegaPixel monitor (16"),      - $4999
              8 Mb RAM, 105 Mb hard disk
              2.88 Mb 3.5" floppy
NeXTCube    - w/ MegaPixel montior (16"),      - $7999
              12 Mb RAM, 105 Mb hard disk
              2.88 Mb 3.5" floppy
NeXTStation - w/ Color MegaPixel monitor (16") - $7999
Color         12 Mb RAM, 105 Mb hard disk
              2.88 Mb 3.5" floppy

The article also said that NeXT cut the price on its laser printer by about
half to $1499 (too bad it can only be used with a NeXT - it has a higher
resolution than a LaserWriter: 400 dpi)

As you can see the NeXT is a hell of a computer...for a hell of a lot of
money. Considering the price cut on the laser printer, I can't think of
too many desktop publishing systems that are better (though there are a few
that are cheaper). There are those on this net that say that they'd like
a NeXT because it's just like a GS...I imagine that is because the NeXT has
good sound (the DSP), which doesn't follow because alot of other computers
also have good sound (PC clones w/LAPC-1, Amiga's, Macs)...yet I hear no one
calling them GS's. It is important to note that a NeXT is not a home
computer or even a personal computer: it is a full blown workstation with
productivity in mind (forget about going down to your local software shop
and picking up some cheap software...) Still, it's a neat computer. But,
if you're looking to run UNIX (relatively) cheap - think about an Amiga 3000.

----------------------------
Mark Orr                   !     "We demand rigidly defined areas of
$CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !      doubt and uncertainty!!" - Vroomfondle
----------------------------

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/03/90)

>computer or even a personal computer: it is a full blown workstation with
>productivity in mind (forget about going down to your local software shop
>and picking up some cheap software...) Still, it's a neat computer. But,
>if you're looking to run UNIX (relatively) cheap - think about an Amiga 3000.

You have several errors about NeXT's pricing and specifications. Either
you copied wrong info or the Byte didn't do a good job.

BTW, the NeXT IS a personal computer, and was built for it.  It was said to
be the computing of the 90s when "personal" computers that stands alone
will be much useless, but the "interpersonal computing" should take place.
That's why Unix env was choosen in order to be able to make jobs easier
partly because it's powerful, partly because it's true multitasking OS.
The NeXT's system software made it possible for a totally novice to use
it without knowing a single thing about Unix.

Talk about Amiga, A friend of mine who began with //e, then bought a //c,
then moved to Amiga world. He owned 2 Amigas, and 1 Atari ST. Now he sold
all his computers except  his //c. He said to me that I was right about Apple//
That particular computer does have something that let one keep it FOREVER.
He said Amiga/Commodore computers are really "s???" (yes, that's quating from
his mail)

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/03/90)

In article <10525@milton.u.washington.edu> cyliao@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:

Well, I'd like to get my 2 cents in here. I use a GS and until recently
had been using Mac's as well. I recently received my NeXT cube. Anyone
who thinks the Amiga 3000 is in the same class is simply uninformed.
The same goes for a MacIIfx by the way. Apple should stick to improving
its OS. Same goes for Commodore. They are both far too far behind the
workstation people to ever catch up.

As for the NeXT being a personal computer, that is an interesting question.
The software will be priced along the lines of a Mac's software, and there
is now even a NeXTConnection! It may be the only workstation to be a
persobnal computer.

I don't want to put the A3000 or the MacIIfx down, but seriously you are
talking about very different items when comparing them to the NeXT. There
is no comparison.

Now if I could just get NFS and Ethernet support for the GS!

The audio on the NeXT is wonderful, just as the audio on the GS is
great.

If a person wanted Unix and games, they'd be better off with a NeXT and
a CDTV or A500 or a Nintendo machine.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu