[comp.sys.apple2] Apple /// & profile

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (10/31/90)

I just became the proud owner of an Apple ///.

Now before the laughter gets out of hand I didn't pay much for it and
it needed a good home.

I ended up with a 5 MB Profile but no cable with the hard disk.  The
cpu appears to have a universal parallel card installed in one of the slots.

How did Apple drive the profile off of the Apple ///?  Did it use the
parallel card or something else?  Where can I find the cable and/or pinouts
for the cable?

Thanks,

George Rachor
--
George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

daniel@nstn.ns.ca (Daniel MacKay) (11/01/90)

In comp.sys.apple2 george@flight.UUCP writes:

>I just became the proud owner of an Apple ///.
Congratulations!

>How did Apple drive the profile off of the Apple ///?  Did it use the
>parallel card or something else?  Where can I find the cable and/or pinouts
>for the cable?

It uses a Profile Card.  They're connected by a ribbon cable or a round
cable (which depends on your Profile, old or new.  The round cable _I
think_ will work for both kinds of Profiles) that looks a lot like an
RS-232 cable with pin 7 missing.  But don't use an ordinary RS-232 cable
with pin 7 cut off- you'll get weird I/O errors more or less often that will
make your life miserable.

You should be able to get a Profile Card /// (don't forget the driver!)
from a dealer for a reasonable amount.

The card and cable couldn't just disappear- you may want to find out
where they were from the previous owners.  You'll also find out if
the profile has Catalyst or what programs installed.

-dan
--
	Daniel MacKay				daniel@nstn.ns.ca
	NOC Manager, NSTN Operations Centre	Voice: 902-494-NSTN

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (11/02/90)

> It uses a Profile Card.  They're connected by a ribbon cable or a round
> cable (which depends on your Profile, old or new.  The round cable _I
> think_ will work for both kinds of Profiles) that looks a lot like an
> RS-232 cable with pin 7 missing.  But don't use an ordinary RS-232 cable
> with pin 7 cut off- you'll get weird I/O errors more or less often that will
> make your life miserable.

Is there an apple part number for this cable?  Is there a pinout somewhere?

> You should be able to get a Profile Card /// (don't forget the driver!)
> from a dealer for a reasonable amount.
>
> The card and cable couldn't just disappear- you may want to find out
> where they were from the previous owners.  You'll also find out if
> the profile has Catalyst or what programs installed.

I have no history available on this unit.  I am not even sure that
this profile was used by this apple ///.

I hope to have some time this weekend to take a look at it.  I might actually
have the profile drive card already installed...(I initially thought it was
a serial card.  I won't know until I open it up.  As for software there was
literally a box (3 feet by 2 feet) chalked full of Manuals, and diskettes.

Sure... some of it is old data (which I will erase but there is a lot of
system software as well as original packages like Visicalc.

I will try to get back to those who mailed replies.  Anybody want to start
an apple /// mailing list?(What am I saying?)

  Does apple ][ emualation mode emulate a ][+ or ][e?  Am I limited to dos3.3
while in ][e emulation mode?  Is the sos environment worth getting into?

--
George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (11/02/90)

In article <323@flight.UUCP> george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:
>  Does apple ][ emualation mode emulate a ][+ or ][e?  Am I limited to dos3.3
>while in ][e emulation mode?  Is the sos environment worth getting into?

I don't know about what emulation the Apple III would give you; II
Plus sounds more likely since the III predates the IIe.  If the
emulation mode gives you the equivalent of a language card, you should
also be able to run ProDOS (in fact, ProDOS identifies the machine
it's running on when you start it; I'm fairly sure ProDOS will
identify the Apple III).  SOS might be interesting from a historical
standpoint, but it's basically the predecessor to ProDOS.  Also, you
might check that box of software for a package called "III E-Z
Pieces;" that program was the predecessor to that all-time favorite
integrated software package, AppleWorks.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

tmaster@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Master) (11/03/90)

In article <323@flight.UUCP> george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:

>> You should be able to get a Profile Card /// (don't forget the driver!)
>> from a dealer for a reasonable amount.

 A friend of mine worked at an apple dealer at one time when I had
a profile with an apple // interface card I wanted to use on my apple ///.
The price for the apple /// card was around $100 (this was a few years ago.)
You can decide if that is reasonable.  Assuming there are still cards to
be gotten.  I don't think apple is really into producing those any more.

>I will try to get back to those who mailed replies.  Anybody want to start
>an apple /// mailing list?(What am I saying?)
>
>  Does apple ][ emualation mode emulate a ][+ or ][e?  Am I limited to dos3.3
>while in ][e emulation mode?  Is the sos environment worth getting into?
>
>George Rachor Jr.
>george@flight.hf.intel.com

 The emulation disk emulates a 48k apple ][ or ][+ (there is an option in
the program that allows you to select integer/applesoft basic in 'rom',
which is actually write protected RAM.).  In emulation, it is as you
have a ][ or ][+ - uppercase only, 40 cols only, etc.  There are some
other versions around that give you lowercase and the 64k is also
write, which means you can overwrite your rom.

 John Jeppson, in fact, wrote some articles for Softalk many years ago
on making a hybrid emulation mode.  With this, you had access to some
additional features like the bank switching, 80 col screen controls and
the clock speed..  There was also a board produced (the ///+//e board I
think) that would give you a //e in emulation mode.  Unfortunately, the
cost of that board was around $300-400, making it more affordable to by
a //e or //c used.

 As for the SOS enivorment, I consider it worthwhile.  I have written
drivers so I can use the Rev C scsi card with it (partioning still needs
to be done on a //e, as I didn't want to figure that out (and it wasn't
really necessary.)  There is also a desktop and program selector.  The
program selector is similiar to prosel, and the desktop allows you to
have a few handy programs.  Both of these are commercial programs available
from On Three for around $50 each I believe (however, the Desktop has
additional modules that cost more..)  I have written a few modules myself,
including a type, catalog, and term program (the term program, which does
a reasonable vt200 emulationn, can also be run standalone.)

 How serious to get into SOS also depends on what you plan to be doing
with your apple ///...

 How many apple ///'s are out there?  It would be interesting to see
what everyone has done.  If other ///'s are interested, I will give out
the code to my term program, desktop modules, and the scsi driver. (I
also wrote one for a parallel interface card 'Printerface was the name
of the card.)  Send me mail if you want these - just be warned that I
haven't documented these programs alot.

	The Master
	tmaster@ucscb.ucsc.edu

daniel@nstn.ns.ca (Daniel MacKay) (11/04/90)

tmaster@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Master) writes:

> As for the SOS enivorment, I consider it worthwhile.

Me too.  What a clean OS!

>Both of these are commercial programs available
>from On Three for around $50 each I believe (however, the Desktop has
>additional modules that cost more..)

Are there any fragments of On Three still around?  I did some detective work
on behalf of a customer about six months ago, and I couldn't find a trace.

>I have written a few modules myself,
>including a type, catalog, and term program (the term program, which does
>a reasonable vt200 emulationn, can also be run standalone.)

Hey, good for you!  On Three's desk accessory framework was not to shabby, eh?

Mailing list?  Well, if there's any interest, I can run one.  Let me know.
-dan