[comp.sys.apple2] Formatting RAMFactor

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/02/90)

scottp@uxrd15.uucp (Scott Popp) writes:

>I am currently looking for a utility which would allow me to format my
>RAMFactor RAM disk.  The utility must be able to terminate without
>starting another program.  I want to run it from an exec file, so that
>I can format the RAM disk, copy files to it, and than execute the main
>program from the RAMdisk, all from the startup.  Does anyone know of a
>stand-alone program which just formats a RAMdisk?

If you are doing this from ProDOS, then the RAMFactor will format itself
automatically when ProDOS boots and you will be able to put files on it
right away. It won't boot, however, but that can be fixed from an exec
file (I did it from a startup menu written in basic).

If you're using DOS 3.3, IN#n formats the ramdisk and a program on the
AE disk called INSTALL DOS will make it bootable (it can be run by an
exec file).

Mail me if you need details.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (11/04/90)

I'm a little bit out of my league here, but I'll take a stab at it.

The RamFactor is a slot based memory card and as such, it's already formatted
for ProDos as soon as you turn on the power.  No need to run a ramdisk or
formatting utility.  Whatever slot it's in is automatically the name of the
volume. So if it's in slot 4, it's /RAM4.

Glen Bredon includes the necessary software in PROSEL 8 or 16 to put all the
goodies you'd like on your RamFactor's volume, back them up to a disk and then
make that disk autobooting to restore the volume to the RamFactor and launch
whatever program you'd like.

Short of that, and since the RamFactor is already a disk when the power is on,
you could get one of the public domain routines to add the "COPY" command to
Prodos and then use your EXEC file to COPY the necessary files to /RAMx and
then execute your program.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A