[comp.sys.apple2] non-DMA at 4 Megs

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (11/03/90)

    This has been brought up in the past but I don't remember a definate
answer to it.  I know that memory above 4 megs is not DMA accessable.
My question is it 4 megs TOTAL memory or 4 megs of EXPANDED memory?
I have a 4 meg rancard (RamPRO IIgs) and I'm curious to wether the top
256K of ram on it is DMA or not.  As you guessed, I have a rom 1 IIgs.
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/03/90)

In article <4866@sage.cc.purdue.edu> ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) writes:

>    This has been brought up in the past but I don't remember a definate
>answer to it.  I know that memory above 4 megs is not DMA accessable.
>My question is it 4 megs TOTAL memory or 4 megs of EXPANDED memory?
>I have a 4 meg rancard (RamPRO IIgs) and I'm curious to wether the top
>256K of ram on it is DMA or not.  As you guessed, I have a rom 1 IIgs.

   The limit of memory expansion is based on one and only one thing-
only four rows of RAM are directly supported by the IIgs and it's
DMA scheme.  Four rows = 1Meg with 256K chips, or 4Meg with 1Meg chips
(SIMMs or what not).

   Designers wishing to go past the four row limit can decode the address
lines themselves to get more than 4 rows, and by keeping track of the DMA
bank can support DMA with this non-standard configuration.

> Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland
>{|_|_|__|   ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu
>//oo--OO    ...!pur-ee!sage.cc!ericm
Cute!

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Nov3.121558.7963@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>   The limit of memory expansion is based on one and only one thing-
>only four rows of RAM are directly supported by the IIgs and it's
>DMA scheme.  Four rows = 1Meg with 256K chips, or 4Meg with 1Meg chips
>(SIMMs or what not).

My question is about DMA not amount of ram.  Everyone says the GS can
only handle 4 megs of DMA ram (8 megs total).  I have a rom 1 GS (256K)
and a 4 meg ramcard (supports DMA) thus giving me 4.25 megs of memory.
Of this 4.25 megs, can DMA access all of it or is the last 256K on the
ramcard non-DMA?
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/04/90)

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) writes:

>Of this 4.25 megs, can DMA access all of it or is the last 256K on the
>ramcard non-DMA?

All of it. The DMA limit applies to expansion RAM size.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/04/90)

 .CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>

On Sat, 3 Nov 90 12:15:58 GMT Desdinova said:

>   The limit of memory expansion is based on one and only one thing-
>only four rows of RAM are directly supported by the IIgs and it's
>DMA scheme.  Four rows = 1Meg with 256K chips, or 4Meg with 1Meg chips
>(SIMMs or what not).

So, I guess the answer to the question is that the 256k on board isn't DMA
compatible?  Or is it, and only the first 3.75megs on a RAM card are DMA
compatible?

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
>Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
>jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
>   Apple II Forever!        |                             (B O'Cult)
>Comp.Sys.Apple2- Home of the Unofficial Apple II Developer Support Team (DST)

|                                    |                               |
| This is your brain...              |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
| This is your brain on drugs...     |  pro-line:                    |
| This is your brain on frog licking.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/05/90)

In article <9011040741.AA24846@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
> .CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
>
>On Sat, 3 Nov 90 12:15:58 GMT Desdinova said:
>>
>>   The limit of memory expansion is based on one and only one thing-
>>only four rows of RAM are directly supported by the IIgs and it's
>>DMA scheme.  Four rows = 1Meg with 256K chips, or 4Meg with 1Meg chips
>>(SIMMs or what not).
>
>So, I guess the answer to the question is that the 256k on board isn't DMA
>compatible?  Or is it, and only the first 3.75megs on a RAM card are DMA
>compatible?

  Oops, I blew it.  All RAM on the motherboard is DMA compatible.
RAM on a RAMcard is DMA compatible if it's designed as I said above
(only 4 rows).  With a ROM03 and a 4Meg card, you can have 5 meg of DMA
compatible memory.

>| This is your brain on frog licking.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |

Eh?