[comp.sys.apple2] Synthlab

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (06/03/90)

Todd Whitesel writes:

>Synth Lab is a new program they hacked up to DEMO the new sound tools.

Well, Todd, I wouldn't call it a hack.  It's an extremely complicated program;
certainly not a hack.  It's rather impressive, actually.

I'm wondering, is that a program that Apple is going to sell to developers, or
will it be provided free?  Wasn't it written by the guy from Ensoniq?

With this program, and some midi instruments, you can conquer the music
computer world (no kidding...).

I only recall seeing one tool.  Tool #35.  Are there more?

When is this program finally going to be released?  Everyone's tired of
hearing how great it is.  Here's hoping Synth Lab will release the Apple IIGS
out of it's coma...

Lynda

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (06/04/90)

In article <2979@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>When is this program finally going to be released?  Everyone's tired of
>hearing how great it is.  Here's hoping Synth Lab will release the Apple IIGS
>out of it's coma...

Hear hear!  I've heard much and seen little.  Who is writing Synth Lab?  When
will it be released?  As for that matter, when will we get Tool 35?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--
Paul Hutmacher
paulh@nuchat.sccsi.com

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (08/16/90)

Todd, in one of your many posts you say:
> I positively _hate_ some of the lame sounding and noisy instruments that are
> on the SynthLab beta disk...

I'm not surprised in the least that you hate some things about it.  My question
to you is simple:  When do you like anything?  I don't mean to hurt your
feelings or to flame you.

| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/17/90)

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) writes:

>Todd, in one of your many posts you say:
>> I positively _hate_ some of the lame sounding and noisy instruments that are
>> on the SynthLab beta disk...

>I'm not surprised in the least that you hate some things about it.  My question
>to you is simple:  When do you like anything?  I don't mean to hurt your
>feelings or to flame you.

No sweat, you've got a point -- I do rag on almost everything these days.

I'll be the first to tell anybody that SynthLab is AWESOME. But when I demo it,
I have to be wary of the damn audiophiles who'll snicker at a hissy horn
instrument... and those are the people SynthLab was intended to impress.

There are a lot of things about music development on the GS that need improving
and bitching about it is the fastest way to get people thinking about finding
solutions. Only sometimes the bitching comes out as generic hatred (see the
quote of mine above) when the person bitching has had a lousy day. What I
should have said, was, "Some of the instruments are noisy, lame sounding, or
both, and that will have to be rectified before we can produce any real demos
with MIDI Synth."

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

joshuat@pro-sol.cts.com (Joshua M. Thompson) (08/18/90)

In my opinion, what really needs a little improving on the GS is the sound
CIRCUTRY.  It won't let the DOC playback at higher playback rates without
signifigant signal corruption.

Of course, this is only MY opinion :)

markm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Miller) (09/06/90)

I have a copy of SynthLAB verson 1.0b2 and have had a little trouble
with it when the program reaches the title screen.

The program loads fine and displays the title screen.  Next, the
music begins to play, however, the keys on the piano do not work
at all!  It will work properly after jumping into the control panel
and returning to the program.

Any suggestions?

My system is as follows:
apple II gs cpu (rom 01) with 1.25 Meg

The disk has the majority of the system files except:
fonts, cdas, and icons

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Mark Miller				Ellie...Ellie...Foo...Fellie!
markm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu		(She's back...watch out!!!)

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/11/90)

SynthLab is now available at 131.215.139.100  I encourage everyone who
owns a GS to check it out... you won't believe your ears :-)  It surpasses
most of the limitations of SoundSmith (Is Mr Aalbers (sp) taking notes out
there? :-), however you must have a midi interface/keyboard to enter data :-(
If the samples I've heard so far are any indication then this program
is going to become THE music development tool for the GS (assuming there are
still people out there willing to do the development :-)

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (09/11/90)

I don't suppose there is any hope that this program will some day use the
AA MIDI input....?
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

In article <90Sep10.155621edt.57385@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>SynthLab is now available at 131.215.139.100  I encourage everyone who
>owns a GS to check it out... you won't believe your ears :-)  It surpasses
>most of the limitations of SoundSmith (Is Mr Aalbers (sp) taking notes out
>there? :-), however you must have a midi interface/keyboard to enter data :-(
>If the samples I've heard so far are any indication then this program
>is going to become THE music development tool for the GS (assuming there are
>still people out there willing to do the development :-)
>
>--
>/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

GOD, what is this, not read the copyright laws month?

synthLAB is the copyrighted property of Apple Computer and you nor anyone
else has permission to distribute it, electronically or otherwise.  Remove
it from the ftp archive immediately, please.

To those in netland:  please don't take synthLAB or MIDI Synth if offered to
you.  They're just not done yet.  I guarantee you'll want to wait for the
final versions as there's at least one more surprise coming.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (09/11/90)

In article <44679@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>GOD, what is this, not read the copyright laws month?
>
>synthLAB is the copyrighted property of Apple Computer and you nor anyone
>else has permission to distribute it, electronically or otherwise.  Remove
>it from the ftp archive immediately, please.
>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
>Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
>Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

May I point out that sitting in the very same directory are shrinkit
archives of SYSTEM.DISK and SYSTEM.TOOLS. Last I heard, Apple itself
can't keep that stuff on their OWN archive site. Hmm. Maybe they
should go too?

--
Dave Whitney			| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
Computer Science MIT 1990	| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (09/14/90)

On Mon, 10 Sep 90 23:04:38 GMT Mike Aos said:
>I don't suppose there is any hope that this program will some day use the
>AA MIDI input....?

I'm using synthLAB with my AA.  It works beautifully.

>-------
>Mike
>
>UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
>UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
>                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
>I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, college student | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen
 ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         | BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/05/90)

        Could someone tell me about SynthLab? I've seen the name kicked
around here and was wondering about it.
        Does anyone know of any sound or music programs beyond the
following? -
                Music Studio
                Sound Studio
                SoundSmith
                Instant Synthesizer
                Instant Music
                Music Writer (Pyware)

        I've been hunting around and can't seem to find any, time to make
some!
                                                        - Joe Nowakowski
                                                        - Nowako09@Snybufva
                                                          (bitnet)