[comp.sys.apple2] Toolbox Refrences

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/05/90)

I've been attempting to upgrade my Assembly Language skills from //e to IIgs,
one big problem I've encoutered is a lack of good refrences on how to use the
IIgs toolbox, most of the books I've tried to use are to general in nature.
Is there any good tech refrences available for this? One that shows me what
a tool needs for input, where to put it and where to get the results? Also,
I can't seem to find a memory map of the IIgs anywhere. The Assembler books
I've seen say things like 'since the memory manager controls the location of
your code you don't need a memory map' however, I would like to be able to
generate the stunning speed thats achieved by bypassing the tools ala FTA
productions such as Modulae. Is there any 'IIgs bible' refrences out there
that will tell me 'this is how you use this feature...' with examples? The
opening credits for Modulae mention somthing like this but I've never heard
of the 'IIgs Euplchre' book before.
                                                        - Joe Nowakowski

No one ever got rich from shareware fees...

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/05/90)

heh heh... what you seek is the IIgs programmers' encyclopedia set, otherwise
known as the Apple Technical Library, available from Addison-Wesley. You can
order them at reasonable prices from A2-Central, or possibly at a local
bookstore (you want one that is really good about carrying IIgs stuff -- there
are few who do these days...).

The memory map is described in The Apple IIgs Hardware Reference, with more
conceptual maps given in the programming books (they do that so you can be
more informed about how you segment your code and so on).

The french book, 'IIgs Epluche', sounds like it is more of a hands on book
with programming examples. Somebody out there knows more about it than I do.

BTW, whoever is translating it, if you are considering beta-testing it, sign me
up. I am interested in buying it when it is finished.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <0C79268D663F80A479@snybufva.bitnet> NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) writes:
>I've been attempting to upgrade my Assembly Language skills from //e to IIgs,
>one big problem I've encoutered is a lack of good refrences on how to use the
>IIgs toolbox, most of the books I've tried to use are to general in nature.

	I suggest that you get the Programmer's Introduction to the GS, which
tells about the differences between programming the GS and a //e for example.
(Such as the "main event loop," etc)

	Also, get the three ToolBox manuals...

	I have the Programmer's Intro and the first two ToolBox manuals (and
will probably get the third when I start doing serious programming on the GS)

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/