[comp.sys.apple2] Creating Instruments from Sounds. . .

WKF2298@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Wonko the Sane) (11/06/90)

	This has really been bugging me. . . is there any way that I can
take digitized sounds and turn them into instruments, such as an ASIF file?
I've been playing with Soundsmith a little and have wanted very badly to be
able to include some digitized files which I have, but they won't read and
simply changing their filetypes don't help.  (And no, my sound files aren't
compressed by ACE, they are straight.)  Surely there must be SOME way to
do it. . . I just haven't figured it out yet.

	Thanks.

						Wonko the Sane
						William K. Fry
						IN%"wkf2298@ritvax"

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/06/90)

        Nope, as of now there is now way to turn a digitized sound into a
useful ASIF file. Even SoundStudio which lets you SEE and WORK ON the sound
doesnot save a manipulated file as ASIF, which makes it virtually useless -
what good is it to just listen to a sound once or change it if I can't DO
anything with it?
        I've been wrestling with this too and it seems somthing will have to
be developed to rectify this unfortunate situation. I'll give it a shot but
I KNOW there are better GS programmers on the net then I who could try....
        So heres some specs -
        The program should:
                - Give a visual of the wave (ala SoundStudio)
                - Allow the User to manipulate the wave indirectly (using CUT,
PASTE et. al.)
                - Allow the User to manipulate the wave Directly (use the mouse
to draw a wave
    or redraw parts of a wave)
                - Save the wave as ASIF.

        Actually it would probably be simplest to just upgrade Sound Studio to
do these things - call it Sound Studio 2.0 or somthing. If I did this and
distributed it on the net would that cause me trouble with the origional author?
                                                        - Joe Nowakowski
                                                        - Nowako09@Snybufva
                                                          (bitnet)

p.s.

What is SynthLab? Can anyone post a description to the net? Thanx!

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/06/90)

There IS a way to do it. AudioZap 0.7.1 is an application that does it.

I will post it to comp.binaries.apple2 in a few days.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/06/90)

On Mon, 5 Nov 90 16:37:00 EST Wonko the Sane said:
>	This has really been bugging me. . . is there any way that I can
>take digitized sounds and turn them into instruments, such as an ASIF file?

Yeah!  Also, does anyone know the file format for Music Studio sound files?
(Or are those the same thing?

>						Wonko the Sane
>						William K. Fry
>						IN%"wkf2298@ritvax"

|                       |                                        |
| HEY!  They're licking |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm                 |
| FROGS in Colorado!!!! |  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|_______________________|________________________________________|

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (11/06/90)

In article <0BA7D5E7B8BF80D4B0@snybufva.bitnet> NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) writes:

>        Nope, as of now there is now way to turn a digitized sound into a
>useful ASIF file. Even SoundStudio which lets you SEE and WORK ON the sound

Although I have not actually seen the program myself, I've heard that AudioZap
will convert digitized sounds into an ASIF file.

David Huang                              |       "I didn't order any
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |        pizzas, especially
America Online: DrWho29                  |           green ones"

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/06/90)

        The file format for Music Studio sound files is a modification of
ASIF, which means you can use straight ASIF instruments with Music Studio BUT
if you modify the way they sound by using the Change Instrument (?) selection
in the Goodies menu then it will be saved in this new format and no you won't
be able to use this new instrument with another music package such as Instant
Synthesizer. I don't know what they call this modified ASIF format on the
Music Studio but it changes an instruments file type from BIN to $CA. On
Instant Synthesizer the modified ASIF format is called EAIF Electronic Arts
Instrument Format. And you can't use those kind on Music Studio.
        Hint, if you want to use Soundsmith instruments on Music Studio you
can! Copy all the instrument files out of they're respective folders onto
another disk ('cause Music Studio can't get them out of the SoundSmith
subdirectories) and then just load 'em up! Sounds great! One thing, the waves
for some reason sound funny and you will want to modify them using the Change
Instrument (?) selection in the Goodies menu. Adding sustain and stretching or
squeezing the instrument usually helps. When I first used them I found that
there was a very unpleasent secondary sound attached to most of the instruments,
   like a squeal. I think this is a data line attached to the instrument that
soundsmith uses, dunno. Anyway you can generally only use one of these Soundsmit
   h instruments at a time and MAKE SURE you select IFF CLEAR before loading.

                                                        - Enjoy
                                                        - Joe Nowakowski
                                                        - Nowako09@Snybufva

greyelf@wpi.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (11/06/90)

In article <0BBB1C72D31F20113A@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> WKF2298@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Wonko the Sane) writes:
>	This has really been bugging me. . . is there any way that I can
>take digitized sounds and turn them into instruments, such as an ASIF file?
>I've been playing with Soundsmith a little and have wanted very badly to be
>able to include some digitized files which I have, but they won't read and
>simply changing their filetypes don't help.

If asif is like midi it would expect a frequency and a volume (kind of),
you could convert digitized music to its component frequencies
by running a Fourier transform on the digitized data.

The process is not simple, and I'm not sure its appropriate to creation
of an ASIF file, I'm making guesses that that is how ASIF works.
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     God...
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609           - B. Simpson
--
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     God...

greyelf@wpi.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (11/06/90)

In article <0BA7D5E7B8BF80D4B0@snybufva.bitnet> NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) writes:

>        Nope, as of now there is now way to turn a digitized sound into a
>useful ASIF file.

What is the format of an ASIF file?

Some of us Laser 128ex programmers are pretty handy too...
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     God...
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609           - B. Simpson
--
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     God...

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/07/90)

    I have a small desktop utility called ASIF.Convert which will take an
uncompressed sound file (max 32K) and fiddle around with it until it magically
comes out as a SoundSmith-usuable ASIF file.  It was included with SoundSmtih
0.94 archive I downloaded from a local BBS.  Poke around in your SoundSmith
disks, but if you can't find it, I'll post it comp.binaries.  It's a very
small program.  If you don't have access to comp.bin.apple2, mail me and I'll
send I'll BINscii it to you.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/08/90)

 Audio Zap and Second sight Software's SoundSmith
Instrument Editor both allow taking a digitized
sound and putting it into ASIF format so Soundsmith
can use it.  FOr the person who mantains the popular
AII FTP site; both files are in the new files area
of the music forum on AO, the A2 forum on GEnie (I
think on AudioZap is on GEnie) and APPFUN on CIS.

.

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/08/90)

        The format of an ASIF file is the actual wave of the instrument
and the 'instrument record' a unique way of telling the Ensoniq the
ADSR envelope and f/x like vibrato. There, isn't that perfectly clear?
Seriously this all from memory and I'll post exact specs asap....

                                                        - Joe Nowakowski

First they take Spenser For Hire off the air and now there tryin' to kill
the //! Whats the world coming to!