[comp.sys.apple2] BinSCII 1.0.3

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/08/90)

... dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu writes:

[stuff about this being an EXECable file deleted]

>Once the file is on your Apple (you can check it by loading it into
>your favorite text editor), EXEC it. Your should now have a SYS file
>named BINSCII. If it is not a SYS file, then EXEC it again. Loop until
>filetype = SYS.

Could the looping be avoided by doing a BLOAD BINSCII,A$2000 followed by a
DELETE BINSCII then a CREATE BINSCII,TSYS and ending with BSAVE
BINSCII,A$2000,L$E31,TSYS instead of "Loop until filetype = SYS"?  That's
what I had to do when I dled it from a BBS I had uploaded it to.  DL to
the Mac, send to the IIe, BLOAD and BSAVE, and it worked perfectly.

[EXEC file deleted, save the following last two lines]

>BSAVE BINSCII,A$1000,L$0E31
>E00G

Or perhaps alterating these lines to do the above?  (It seems very strange
that it would work SOME of the time.)

>--
>Dave Whitney
>Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
>dcw@lcs.mit.edu		| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.
>Every now and then one makes a mistake. Mine was probably this post.

By the way, the commands EXEC, RUN, and BRUN have become obsolete.  The -
command will work with all those filetypes, including SYS files.

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    Do you know what you have done?

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov07.223449.6374@hoss.unl.edu>, greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T.
H.) says:

>By the way, the commands EXEC, RUN, and BRUN have become obsolete.  The -
>command will work with all those filetypes, including SYS files.

Not obsolete at all. Sometimes type checking is desirable.
The typical way to do things the applesoft way has always been
to do an operation on a file and check any error codes rather
than try and dig up file info. e.g. rather than look at the directory
(ok, so this isn't so hard to do in prodos) to check for the
existence of a file, you do an operation on it, like verify or
unlock. If it's there, no error.

This can be extended to a the exec, run, and brun commands.
A program which is going to execute another program would not
like to just charge blindly in and '-' it the possibility might
exist that an incorrect program might be named what the first
program is looking for.

Kind of difficult to explain. But extend it a bit further - why
have filetypes at all? why not just file permissions like Unix?