[comp.sys.apple2] Danger in using graphics library

greyelf@wpi.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (11/06/90)

****
Warning
****

I tested all the lo-res routines except scan, and they
seemed to work, but the hires plot routines
seem to use some section of memory that Hyper C
requires.  I seem to remember something about
the hplot and draw routines using space in page 3
to calculate vectors, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what areas of memory the hplot/hplotto/draw/
xdraw routines use?

I could just copy the areas before making
graphics calls, and then restore them.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     God...
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609           - B. Simpson
--
---

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov5.183142.31882@wpi.WPI.EDU> greyelf@wpi.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) writes:
>[snip]
>Does anyone know what areas of memory the hplot/hplotto/draw/
>xdraw routines use?
>
>I could just copy the areas before making
>graphics calls, and then restore them.

The standard Applesoft hi-res routines use the following zero-page locations:

     $1A-$1D
     $26-$27
     $30
     $D0-$D5
     $E0-$EA (except $E3, which appears to be unused)

There seems to be a rumor floating around that the hi-res routines use
space on page 3.  This is not true--at least not for the Applesoft routines.
The original Integer BASIC graphics routines (on the Programmer's Aid No. 1
chip at $D000) did use page 3 space--they used $320-$32A instead of $E0-$EA.
They also used $50-$55 instead of $D0-$D5.  You shouldn't have to worry
about that, though, unless you expect to be running on an original
Apple ][ with the Programmer's Aid chip installed.  (We're talking ancient
history here.)

>Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   Part of this D- belongs to
>greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     God...
>greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609           - B. Simpson

          - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker                 No cute ASCII art...no cute quote...no cute
parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  disclaimer...no deposit, no return...