[comp.sys.apple2] Twilight, GShrinkit, crash....

duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) (11/04/90)

While building an archive Twilight cleared my screen and put up Universe
which is what it should do, with no keyboard activity.  I saw it so I
moved my mouse so Shrinkit could continue, BEEEEP  (my computer drops
to the monitor).  And my hard disk was trashed.  I've noticed some
programs crash when coming back from twilight, but normally they
don't trash my hard disk....

Joel Duerksen

USnail: 410 N. McKinley, Apt. 305, Muncie, IN. 47303
  AT&T: 1-317-289-0430  ICBM: 85 24 31 W / 40 12 16 N   RF: KB9EKY
  UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!duerksen
  ARPA: duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (11/05/90)

In article <12004@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) writes:
>While building an archive Twilight cleared my screen and put up Universe
>which is what it should do, with no keyboard activity.  I saw it so I
>moved my mouse so Shrinkit could continue, BEEEEP

EEW! I noticed something else, Twilight kicks in when it "shouldn't."
I mean that it starts up when the computer really is working on
something. I did a very large Finder copy (from the latest developer
CD - about 26MB of stuff). During the copy, Twilight kicked in and I
had to babysit the machine to wake it back up every now and then (the
copy stops when Twilight kicks in). Perhaps Twilight should be changed
so that it kicks in when there is no OS activity as well as kbd/mouse
idleness.

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/06/90)

    Twilight popped up the Universe while I was shrinking also, but it only
crashed upon reentry once (it has happened about 5 times now).  The other
times, GSHK kept right on going without a hitch.  Do you know if there is
aversion later than 1.0 out?  I have a three-page letter to Jonah (along with
a hefty cheque!) that I'm waiting to send off, but if there is a version 1.1,
I'd like to see it first.  I have a whole list of suggestions for Twilight
(like not blanking when GS/OS is accessing a disk drive...)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/06/90)

Did you read the dox? Twilight has a 'never sleep' region, the bottom 8 lines
of the screen. I've never had it crash on return from an unwanted blank (except
once when I waited till the end of the SoundSmith .95 title song without moving
the mouse).

The first thing I think they should do is only count time while the system
is taking events. This eliminates unwaanted blanking during long copies and
so on. The second is to find some way of allowing programs to keep running
while the blanker does its thing. I am pretty sure this can be done, but I
am not sure it can be done 100% according to Apple's documentation.

BTW, Twilight is $10. That ain't too hefty.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (11/07/90)

Yup.  I have had Twilight crash AWGS SEVERAL times, as well as GS Shrinkit,
GifConvert, and various other desktop applications.  I don't even use
Twilight anymore, because of this bugginess.  Do the original authors
know about these problems?

I would really like to use this Cdev, but my productivity depends upon
having a computer that doesn't crash every 15 minutes.	Strange, isn't it?
:-)

Frustrated,
Dale
prophet@oxy.edu

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.141614.28696@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:

> EEW! I noticed something else, Twilight kicks in when it "shouldn't."
> I mean that it starts up when the computer really is working on
> something. I did a very large Finder copy (from the latest developer
> CD - about 26MB of stuff). During the copy, Twilight kicked in and I
> had to babysit the machine to wake it back up every now and then (the
> copy stops when Twilight kicks in). Perhaps Twilight should be changed
> so that it kicks in when there is no OS activity as well as kbd/mouse
> idleness.

If I recall, if you place the mouse pointer in the bottom 5 lines of the
screen, Twilite won't kick in.  Then again, you could go download
Screen Blank INIT (which is free) and not worry about file copying or printing
being stopped. <big grin>

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (11/08/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 5-Nov-90 Re: Twilight, GShrinkit,
cr.. David C. Whitney@lcs.mit (991)

> Perhaps Twilight should be changed
> so that it kicks in when there is no OS activity as well as kbd/mouse
> idleness.

It would also be nice if Twilight watched for Joystick activity for
certain types of games...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/08/90)

I READ THE DOCS to Twilight and it said that if you leave your mouse at the bottom
of the screen (lower 4 lines I think) it will not kick in.

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/09/90)

> It would also be nice if Twilight watched for Joystick activity for
> certain types of games...

    That would be a good idea as well.  I've had Twilight blank the screen a
few times while in the heat of Cosmocade action.  Specifically in Journey to
Calibus.  Has everyone sent in their shareware fee?  Support Brian and Dave!!!