[comp.sys.apple2] APPLE

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/07/90)

In article <90309.213454ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>The agreement that Apple made with Apple was that Apple Computer was
>allowed to use the Apple name as long as they stayed out of the music
>business. Apparently Apple Records' greedy lawyers decided that
>computers with nice sound are in the music business.

Corporate lawyers always think it is their job to be greedy.

Note that Apple (Computer) has issued Compact Discs.  Even though intended
for computer use, not audio, this is clearly starting to infringe on Apple
(Record)'s territory, and brand confusion COULD possibly result.

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/08/90)

Doug Gwyn@smoke.brl.mil writes:

> Note that Apple (Computer) has issued Compact Discs.  Even though
> intended for computer use, not audio, this is clearly starting to infringe
> on Apple (Record)'s territory, and brand confusion COULD possibly
> result.

I don't think so.  What Apple Computer, Inc. has released are CD-ROMs,
which are considered a standard medium for storing computer data.
Because these are not musical CDs, and will not produce music when used
in any CD player, they are not a musical product.  They _are_ a computer
product.  Therefore, they definitely fall under the range of products
that Apple Computer, Inc. can sell under their agreement with Apple
Records.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (11/08/90)

In article <gbC77cC00awU8vZ11d@andrew.cmu.edu> jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:
>Doug Gwyn@smoke.brl.mil writes:
>
>> Note that Apple (Computer) has issued Compact Discs.  Even though
>> intended for computer use, not audio, this is clearly starting to infringe
>
>I don't think so.  What Apple Computer, Inc. has released are CD-ROMs,
>which are considered a standard medium for storing computer data.
>Because these are not musical CDs, and will not produce music when used

On the other hand, several of the previous Developer CDs (I'm not sure
about the latest one as I haven't checked) did contain several music
tracks, produced, I believe, internally at Apple. "Track 1" is the CD
ROM, and does not play (except for a burst of noise that lasts a few
seconds) while the remaining tracks (about 7 or 8) are all synthetic
music (some of it pretty good).

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (11/08/90)

Jeffrey Hutzelman writes:

> What Apple Computer, Inc. has released are CD-ROMs, which are considered
> a standard medium for storing computer data.  Because these are not musical
> CDs, and will not produce music when used in any CD player, they are
> not a musical product.

Sorry to nitpick, but some of the CD-ROMS that come with _develop_ do
actually contain musical tracks, which can be played in any CD player.
I don't see this as being an issue, because the magazine is obviously not
sold for its musical content, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (11/09/90)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:
>Doug Gwyn@smoke.brl.mil writes:
>
>> Note that Apple (Computer) has issued Compact Discs.  Even though
>> intended for computer use, not audio, this is clearly starting to infringe
>> on Apple (Record)'s territory, and brand confusion COULD possibly
>> result.
>
>I don't think so.  What Apple Computer, Inc. has released are CD-ROMs,
>which are considered a standard medium for storing computer data.
>Because these are not musical CDs, and will not produce music when used
>in any CD player, they are not a musical product.  They _are_ a computer
>product.  Therefore, they definitely fall under the range of products
>that Apple Computer, Inc. can sell under their agreement with Apple
>Records.
>--------------------
>Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
>Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

Obviously you have never had a chance to use a CD distributed by Apple! I have
several of them which I have culled from various sources. Most (bar one or
two) have several audio tracks on them. (CD technology allows the data to be
seperated between mediums). There are mostly amaturish songs written by Apple
DTS engineers, small little humurous ditties, and sometimes some very serious
piano pieces designed "to program to". There are also some audio tracks on
them which are recorded speeches. MacUser was giving away one last year with
Gassee giving a speech on the power of the CD technology.

Of course, the music on the Apple CD's is no where as "deep" or as powerful as
the stuff the other Apple released (Apple Records)... Revolver, Srgt. Peppers
etc..

---
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
pnet91 - 416-237-{1204|0308}. 2400bps only. 1200bps if you do hard breaks.

In article <118@generic.UUCP> sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:
;Obviously you have never had a chance to use a CD distributed by Apple! I have
;several of them which I have culled from various sources. Most (bar one or
;two) have several audio tracks on them. (CD technology allows the data to be
;seperated between mediums). There are mostly amaturish songs written by Apple
;DTS engineers, small little humurous ditties, and sometimes some very serious

	I have heard that some group at Apple made a song called "Apple
II Forever".. I think it was on one of the CDs but I might be wrong.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/09/90)

> I don't think so.  What Apple Computer, Inc. has released are CD-ROMs,
> which are considered a standard medium for storing computer data.
> Because these are not musical CDs, and will not produce music when used
> in any CD player, they are not a musical product.  They _are_ a computer
> product.  Therefore, they definitely fall under the range of products
> that Apple Computer, Inc. can sell under their agreement with Apple
> Records.

    Apple Inc. _does_ press their own musical CD's as well.  Their latest one
runs with the HyperCard 2.0 slide show on the Macs.  I'm sure you've heard of
other tunes Apple's sound engineers have dreamed up at the various Fests
around the continent.  They don't actually publish these albums, so I guess
Apple Records can't sue them.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |