[comp.sys.apple2] Backup Bit

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (11/09/90)

Does anyone know of any easy way to unset the backup bit on a single
file without backing the file up?  The file containing my MSDOS volume
is about 20 Meg and for reasons I won't go into it gets modified every
time I use it but I have no reason to save anything but the unmodified
version.

TMPLee@Dockmaster.NCSC.MIL

(Please reply directly; the volume of traffic on this list is now
getting so high I'm bound to miss a response there.)

hartkopf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (11/09/90)

In article <901108172039.248924@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Does anyone know of any easy way to unset the backup bit on a single
>file without backing the file up?  The file containing my MSDOS volume
>is about 20 Meg and for reasons I won't go into it gets modified every
>time I use it but I have no reason to save anything but the unmodified
>version.

If you're using a IIGS, my File Manager NDA will do that for you.
Use the Info option.

Jeff Hartkopf
University of Colorado at Boulder
Internet: hartkopf@snoopy.colorado.edu

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (11/10/90)

As always, the net comes through.  Thanks guys.  One of you asked how I
got my PCT MSDOS file as large as I did; I don't remember having done
anything special -- I have to confess that I don't even remember anymore
the steps involved.  Also, one of you asked if I got a useful response
-- Grant Delaney sent me a copy of the file management NDA that hartkopf
wrote.  I haven't even downloaded it yet, but I'll forward on to you
with no promises, except that since it is from Grant it is probably
virus-free but don't take my word for it.

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil