[comp.sys.apple2] Price for //e card

Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu (10/17/90)

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on the price for the
new Macintosh LC //e emulation card.  Apple's press release states that
it will be available in March '91 for $199.  I have to assume that
they will make no profit on a card for this price.  Assume dealers
will get it for about half of that.  So, Apple wants people to buy
the LC for the house and put the card in so kids can come home and
run Stickybear or Appleworks like they do in school.  But, this
doesn't really address the basic deficiency in their strategy.
Schools aren't going to want to buy 1 Mac at around $1500 (school
discount) when they can buy 2 //es for that price.  Unless Apple
discontinues production of the //e, it's not going to work.

    Todd A. Bakal                                All snappy sayings aside,
    U of M Apple User's Group                    !Index will be updated
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          ASAP or my name's not...

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
              Tab@terminator.cc.umich.edu             35.1.1.43   (PC5:)
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal      BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (10/18/90)

In article <6360169@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:
>I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on the price for the
>new Macintosh LC //e emulation card.  Apple's press release states that
>it will be available in March '91 for $199.  I have to assume that
>they will make no profit on a card for this price.  Assume dealers
>will get it for about half of that.  So, Apple wants people to buy
>the LC for the house and put the card in so kids can come home and
>run Stickybear or Appleworks like they do in school.  But, this
>doesn't really address the basic deficiency in their strategy.
>Schools aren't going to want to buy 1 Mac at around $1500 (school
>discount) when they can buy 2 //es for that price.  Unless Apple
>discontinues production of the //e, it's not going to work.

I suspect if the //e is discontinued, that Laser is going to have
a field day...

Either that or Tandy selling their low-end DOS box with a Trackstar
emulator board; the K-12 educational software base is A2 plus DOS,
not A2 plus Mac.

My H.S.-teacher wife agrees with you about the un-likelihood of schools
coughing up for LC's with emulators.  They can 'empower' about three
times as many desktops per dollar using //e's.  I've forwarded some
of the articles from the net about Apple pressuring schools into this
route to her boss and her former boss, now the asst. superintendent
for the school district.  Hopefully they won't buy the line.  I also
plan to get involved with the PTO team at my daughter's school to make
sure they don't get suckered as part of Apple's current supermarket promotion.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
"Apple II Forever"?  Looks like Forever = 13 years, 6 months
	(4/15/77 - 10/15/90)

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (10/18/90)

In article <6360169@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:
>I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on the price for the
>new Macintosh LC //e emulation card.  Apple's press release states that
>it will be available in March '91 for $199.  I have to assume that
>they will make no profit on a card for this price.  Assume dealers
>will get it for about half of that.  So, Apple wants people to buy
>the LC for the house and put the card in so kids can come home and
>run Stickybear or Appleworks like they do in school.  But, this
>doesn't really address the basic deficiency in their strategy.

>    Todd A. Bakal                                All snappy sayings aside,
>    U of M Apple User's Group                    !Index will be updated
>    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          ASAP or my name's not...
>
>    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
>              Tab@terminator.cc.umich.edu             35.1.1.43   (PC5:)
>    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal      BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

Could someone, who has the complete text of the Apple Press release,
please post that here. In Germany, we only get the Press releases from
Apple Germany, and they are not going to sell the //e emulator board,
so there was no mentioning about it...

Thanks in advance

Martin Georg,
Frankfurt, Germany
----> Apple II forever! <----

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony Jerome Stuckey) (10/18/90)

I don`t  have to worry about my high school dropping their IIe's and going
to mac LC's.  Eighteen months ago, they sold all 16 IIe's and bought
MS-DOS clones.  (AT's).

Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

traherne@murdu.oz (Richard Jordan) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Oct18.084731.23282@wrkof.incom.de> spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) writes:
>In article <6360169@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:
>>I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on the price for the
>>new Macintosh LC //e emulation card.  Apple's press release states that
>>it will be available in March '91 for $199.
>
>Could someone, who has the complete text of the Apple Press release,
>please post that here. In Germany, we only get the Press releases from
>Apple Germany, and they are not going to sell the //e emulator board,
>so there was no mentioning about it...
>
>Martin Georg,
>Frankfurt, Germany

I don't think there has been a press release just about the card, but
here are the tech details for the computer it works in:

Subject: Macintosh LC specifications
Date: 15 Oct 90 22:23:15 GMT
To: uunet!comp-sys-mac-announce@uunet.UU.NET
Posted-Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 15:23:15 -0700
To: comp-sys-mac-announce@cs.utexas.edu

I pulled this down from Applelink this morning.
In the US, call 1-800-538-9696 for the dealer nearest you.

There will be limited availability of the Macintosh LC until late
January or early February 1991.

US suggested retail price:
$2499 2Mb RAM, 1 FDHD floppy, 40Mb hard disk
$ 199 Apple IIe card (available March 1991)
$ 199 for LC 512K VRAM card (allowing use of more colors/grays on
monitors) (available January 1991)

Requires a monitor.  Apple monitors supported are:
$ 299 12" Monochrome
$ 299 High Resolution Monochrome
$ 599 12" Color
$ 899 High Resolution RGB Monitor

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com
"I am not an authorized spokesperson for Apple Computer, Inc."

*****

Macintosh LC: Technical Specifications

Following are the technical specifications for the Macintosh LC.

CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)
- Microprocessor : 16 MHz MC68020 CPU

MEMORY
- 2, 4, or 10 MB RAM (Random Access Memory)
  100 nanosecond DRAM
- 512 Kbytes of ROM (Read-Only Memory)
- 256 bytes of settable parameter memory

KEYBOARD (not included)
- Apple Keyboard or Apple Extended Keyboard can be connected through
  the Apple Desktop Bus port

MOUSE
- Apple Desktop Bus Mouse (ADB) mechanical tracking, optical shaft
  or contact encoding  100 +- 10 pulses per inch
  (3.94 +- 0.39 pulse per mm) of travel.

DISK DRIVE
- One 1.4 MB high-density (Apple SuperDrive) internal drive. Two
internal, floppy drives are supported. The unit ships with the Apple
SuperDrive, but the logic board also supports an 800K drive.

HARD DISK DRIVE
- 3.5" 40MB hard drive configuration is available.

INTERFACES
- One Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) connectors for keyboard, mouse, and low-speed
  input devices.
- Internal 020 Direct Slot through a 96-pin Euro-DIN connector.
- Two RS-232/RS-422 serial ports, 230.4K baud maximum
  (up to 0.920 Mbit per second if clocked externally).
- Built-In Video DB-15 pin connector, supporting the following monitors:
  + Apple High-Resolution Monochrome Monitor at 2, 4, 16 and 256* grays
  + Apple Macintosh 12" Monochrome Monitor at 2, 4, 16 and 256* grays
  + AppleColor High-Resolution RGB Monitor at 2, 4, 16 and 256* colors/grays
  + Apple Macintosh 12" RGB Monitor at 2, 4, 16 and 256 colors/grays
    * requires 512K VRAM upgrade
- SCSI interface
- Monophonic sound port for external audio amplifier
- Sound input port for monoaural sound input

SOUND INPUT
- Monaural 8-bit sound
- Sound samples can be made at 22 or 11 kilohertz
- Macintosh Audio Compression Expansion (MACE) sound utility, supporting
  3:1 or 6:1 compression, which allows approximately half an hour of
  sound to stored on a single 40-megabyte hard disk.

SOUND GENERATION
- Monophonic 8-bit digital-analog conversin using 22-kilohertz sample
  rate - capable of supplying the same signal to both channels of
  stereo headphones or other stereo equipment through the sound jack.

FAN
- 10 CFM axial

MICROPHONE
Omnidirectional electret microphone

ELECTRICAL REQUIRMENTS
- Line voltage: 90 to 240 volts AC, RMS automatically configured
- Line frequency: 47 to 63 hertz singe phase
- Maximum power consumption: 50 watts maximum, not including monitor power

ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Operating temperature:  50 TO 104 degrees F (10 TO 40 C)
- Storage temperature:  -40 TO 116.6 degrees F
- Relative humidity:  5% to 95% (non-condensing)
- Altitude:  0 to 10,000 ft (0 to 3048 m)

SAFETY AND EMI QUALIFICATIONS
- FCC part 15 Class B Computing Devices
- UL 1950 Information Technology Equipment
- CSA (Canadian Standards Assn.) 950 Information Technology Equipment

SIZE AND WEIGHT
- Main Unit
    Height: 3.0 inches (7.7 cm)
    Width: 12.2 inches (31.0 cm)
    Depth: 15.0 inches (38.2 cm)
    Weight: 8.8 lbs. (4.0 kg)
- Apple Keyboard (not included)
    Height: 1.8 inches (44.5 mm)
    Width: 16.5 inches (418.3 mm)
    Depth: 5.6 inches (142.0 mm)
    Weight: 2 lbs. 2 oz. (1 kg)
- Apple Extended Keyboard (not included)
    Height: 2.3 inches (56.4 mm)
    Width: 19.1 inches (486 mm)
    Depth: 7.4 inches (188 mm)
    Weight: 3 lbs. 10 oz. (1.6 kg)
- Apple Mouse (ADB)
    Height: 1.1 inches (2.8 cm)
    Width: 2.1 inches (5.3 cm)
    Depth: 3.8 inches (9.7 cm)
    Weight: 6 oz. (.17 kg)

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/10/90)

 .DEC.COM>

>I odn't think there has been a press release just about the card...

Actually,  there is a spec sheet on the card.      I had it at one time, but
had to give it back to the guy that owned it (The local Apple dealer here in
town).  It was also posted here the day it was released.  If you need it, I
can try to get it back and post it to you.

| BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm              |
| pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com |