[comp.sys.apple2] ]What's happening to my beloved IIGS?

carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) (11/07/90)

Here's the problem I ran into last night:

I was playing Dungeonmaster from the bootable floppy (had been for about
2 hours) when the machine crashed and the error message came up
"Unclaimed Sound Interrupt 08FF".  The message flashed rapidly for several
seconds with the 'beep' going continuously.  Now, this event had happened a
couple of weeks ago and at that time I rebooted the machine (using the floppy)
and things seemed to be OK so I just passed it off as one of those things.

When it happened last night, I again rebooted the machine (from the floppy)
and continued to play.  However, after about 5 minutes, the scenario repeated
itself.  I again rebooted and the same thing happened after only a couple of
minutes.  When I again tried to reboot from the floppy, the machine would not
boot.  Thinking it might be the Dungeonmaster disk, I tried to boot from a
different floppy, but similarly, the machine would not come alive.  As a last
resort, I tried to boot from my HD, and the first time, the machine came up.
I checked memory (everything seemed to be OK).  Lo and behold, however,
after about 10 minutes, the machine crashed again, and this time I couldn't
even boot from the HD.  Suspecting heat may be the culprit, I let the
machine sit overnight and rebooted again this morning (from both the floppy
and the HD).  Everything seems to be working OK (although I didn't leave it
on very long).

Any clues as to what may be happening here?

My system configuration is:

IIGS (ROM 01)
1.75 MB RAM (GS RAM)
AE Transwarp (Slot 3)
SCSI I/F Card (Slot 7)
20 MB HD
3.5" Floppy Drive

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Carnahan

--------------> rich <-------------- (carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com)

Martin Marietta Information Systems Group
Box 1260
MS XL8058
Denver, Colorado 80201-1260

(303) 971-7981

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/09/90)

In article <1779@dinl.mmc.UUCP> carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) writes:
>"Unclaimed Sound Interrupt 08FF".
>Any clues as to what may be happening here?

Your system configuration is such that you had BETTER be using a good
cooling fan.  If overheating didn't cause your problem, then perhaps
your power supply is marginal.  Use a good digital voltmeter to check
the voltage margins while it's operating.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/09/90)

> Any clues as to what may be happening here?
>
> My system configuration is:
>
> IIGS (ROM 01)
> 1.75 MB RAM (GS RAM)
> AE Transwarp (Slot 3)
> SCSI I/F Card (Slot 7)
> 20 MB HD
> 3.5" Floppy Drive
>
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

    Uh oh... a couple of people from around here have had the same trouble
with the $08FF system error.  In both cases, it was attributed to the
TransWarp GS.  Try re-seating the card in the slot (make sure it is in all the
way, not loose).  There's also some silver oscillator on the card somewhere
which you could try pushing down on to ensure a firm connection.  Or, unplug
the TransWarp and re-install the old 65816 and try it for a few days.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/10/90)

In article <14393@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1779@dinl.mmc.UUCP> carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) writes:
>>"Unclaimed Sound Interrupt 08FF".
>>Any clues as to what may be happening here?
>
>Your system configuration is such that you had BETTER be using a good
>cooling fan.  If overheating didn't cause your problem, then perhaps
>your power supply is marginal.  Use a good digital voltmeter to check
>the voltage margins while it's operating.

Oh no, not another unclaimed sound interrupt! I went through 2 months
of agony with that one! I have a ROM03. I received all kinds of advice
and heat was one of them.

It was not heat related at all in the end. It was the Ensoniq. If you
have a ROM01 make sure it hasn't become loose. Also check any connections
to stereo cards,etc...speakers...

I spent a LOT of time on Genie over this one. The possibilties brought
up were always Ensoniq, TWGS, heat. When several people who had had this
problem came on line( and they were hardware people) they pointed to the
Ensoniq.

The power supply was also mentioned, but discarded as a possibility.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]