[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS Technical Reference Book

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (11/06/90)

Ok, here's a 100% whine-free question, which is ACTUALLY about Apple II's...

Does anyone know, for certain, if the GS/OS Technical Reference is out yet.
I've read that its in 'beta', and I've read that its out. I went to my local
humungous mammoth bookstore, and they said they weren't expecting the book
until 30 Nov...

Thanks,
Stephen Brown, Willowdale, Ontario, Canada

Oh yes, before I forget... " A P P L E   I I   F O R E V E R "  ( I mean it)

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/07/90)

The GS/OS reference is out, but APDA usually hogs the first shipments in order
to fill their own orders. It takes at least a month or two before the new books
start showing up in retail stores, which order much smaller quantities.

GS/OS Driver Reference is still in beta, last I heard.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.204949.24979@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>The GS/OS reference is out, but APDA usually hogs the first shipments in order
>to fill their own orders. It takes at least a month or two before the new books
>start showing up in retail stores, which order much smaller quantities.
>
>GS/OS Driver Reference is still in beta, last I heard.

Contrary to the above, the Apple IIGS GS/OS Reference has been published by
Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, not APDA.  When APDA sells this book, we
order it from Addison-Wesley, just as any bookstore can do.  If bookstores
don't currently have it, it should be orderable from Addison-Wesley.  Have
the bookstore special order it for you.  To repeat, APDA does not "hog" the
first shipments.

The final version of the Apple IIGS GS/OS Device Driver Reference has now
been published by APDA and is currently shipping.

You can reach APDA at:
(800) 282-2732 (in the U.S.)
(800) 637-0029 (in Canada)
(408) 562-3910 (International)

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

roy@ut-emx.uucp (Roy Ivy III) (11/08/90)

I just got a copy directly from Addision Wesley.
Only took a few days.  Call 'em up directly over their 800 number.
I'm not sure what the number is anymore but you can find it in the
800 information.

Roy

roy@aaraya.ee.utexas.edu

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (11/09/90)

I wanted to buy a certain Addison Wesley book (AppleShare Programmer's Guide
For Apple IIGS) but no one here in Toronto seems to have it (Toronto is one of
the biggest cities in Canada). ATW (the Apple Technical Warehouse) has been
absorbed by APDA, and Bowden's (which still carries some of ATW's stuff)
doesn't carry the type of product I'm looking for. I phoned APDA, and they're
sending me an application to join (or re-join). You see, I can't buy the book
unless I'm a member. I can't be a member until I sign the Letter Of Assurance
(to make sure I don't take it to Iraq, I guess). Now, it seems to me a bit
strange that I have to go through this nonsense (Letter of Assurance) to buy a
book that I would otherwise be able to get in a store without the Letter of
Assurance. I have purchasd all three Toolbox Ref's in downtown Toronto. If I
wanted even these from APDA the L.O.A would still be necessary. At any rate,
I've asked a librarian to see if it can be ordered directly from
Addison-Wesley (in Canada)... something that I can't do, and maybe get around
this.  By the way, for the record, I have no intention of taking myself, my
Apple IIGS, or any of my other hardware/software/books to Iraq, Cuba, Lybia,
etc. You'd think that exceptions could be made for some products.

Stephen Brown
Apple II Forever (I mean it)

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/09/90)

You need to re-join APDA (including the trimmings) because the AppleShare
Programmer's Guide is still beta and may only be purchased by APDA members.
All three toolbox refs are final, as is GS/OS 1 (and 2, last I heard), so you
were able to get them over the counter.

Even though the book you want doesn't contain any information vital to
national security, it could still contain info that Apple will eventually
decide not to release to the general public (as is their prerogative) and
therefore non-members (who haven't signed confidentiality agreements) are not
allowed access to the information. Apple is covering their rear legally here,
and while it is kind of annoying to us, the alternative is worse.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/10/90)

In article <130@generic.UUCP> sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>I've asked a librarian to see if it can be ordered directly from
>Addison-Wesley (in Canada)... something that I can't do, ...

Why not?  In the USA, an individual can order single copies of technical
books directly from the publisher, or through any reputable bookstore.
I do it frequently.