[comp.sys.apple2] GS Technical Stuff

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) (11/08/90)

With all the enthusiasm I've been seeing here lately for the French IIGS
book, I've been wondering...

Ever since I got my GS about 3 years ago, I've been poking around in the
ROMS (and the "Macintosh Family Hardware Reference"--you'd be suprised
what you can learn about the GS from the Mac reference manuals...), and
have learned a few Things Apple Never Told You about accessing the GS
hardware from programs.

I think I've probably got enough material for three or four long (and
rather technical) posts about various bits of the GS.  Is there any interest
out there in this stuff?  Should I go to the trouble to write it up and
post it?

Potential subjects:

     Controlling the Battery RAM/Clock Chip
     The Keyboard/Mouse/ADB Interface
     Controlling the Apple 3.5 Drive
     Trapping Control-Apple-Reset, and other naughty Memory Manager tricks

          - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker                 No cute ASCII art...no cute quote...no cute
parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  disclaimer...no deposit, no return...

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/09/90)

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) writes:

>I think I've probably got enough material for three or four long (and
>rather technical) posts about various bits of the GS.  Is there any interest
>out there in this stuff?  Should I go to the trouble to write it up and
>post it?

>Potential subjects:

>     Controlling the Battery RAM/Clock Chip
>     The Keyboard/Mouse/ADB Interface
>     Controlling the Apple 3.5 Drive
>     Trapping Control-Apple-Reset, and other naughty Memory Manager tricks

Do it. I'll put them up for FTP on tybalt and then use them for my own
insidious purposes... >:)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/10/90)

> Potential subjects:
>
>     Controlling the Battery RAM/Clock Chip
>     The Keyboard/Mouse/ADB Interface
>     Controlling the Apple 3.5 Drive
>     Trapping Control-Apple-Reset, and other naughty Memory Manager tricks
>
>          - Neil Parker

     Sounds interesting... I'd like to know more about intercepting the
Control-Apple-Reset interrupt.  Maybe GS/OS applications can be made
re-entrant after a RESET?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (11/10/90)

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) writes...
> I think I've probably got enough material for three or four long (and
> rather technical) posts about various bits of the GS.  Is there any interest
> out there in this stuff?  Should I go to the trouble to write it up and
> post it?

Good heavens, YES. It would be wonderful to see more technical discussions
and fewer messages about non-technical topics in comp.sys.apple. Your postings
might encourage others to chime in with their own technical articles.

You might want to make shorter articles, with several covering one larger
topic.

Good luck!

--Dave Tribby

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/11/90)

>> Potential subjects:
>>
>>     Controlling the Battery RAM/Clock Chip
>>     The Keyboard/Mouse/ADB Interface
>>     Controlling the Apple 3.5 Drive
>>     Trapping Control-Apple-Reset, and other naughty Memory Manager tricks
>>
>>          - Neil Parker

I didn't think it was possible to trap control-OA-reset.  I know it's possible
to trap just control-reset (no open-apple).  Is that what you meant?

 ______________________________________
| BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm              |
| pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com |
|______________________________________|

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/11/90)

 Its possible to trap control-oa-reset.  John Brooks
did it first, I put the code into one of my early
projects too (ATLT).  Basically you can modify the
vector the system jumps to when you press
oa-control-reset and do funky things (mine displayed
some text saying how I had taken over the machine,
hahaha, etc, etc,etc.  Oh yah, some nice flashy
colors).  The machine state is very quirky though so
you can't do a heckuva lot.  I could not "trap" the
vector into jumping back to my code, it would hang.

The only problem with this is that its incompatible
with Rom 03, the vector changed.