[comp.sys.apple2] Need info on Novation board

In article <372@iquery.PIC.COM> matt@iquery.PIC.COM (Matt Reedy) writes:
>I am looking at an Apple IIe board made by Novation and am not sure what
>it is.  The name across the top says Novation Inc., 1385.  There are
>a couple of things printed on the board at the top: "Phone Line" and
>"Handset."  I'm guessing from this that its a modem, but would like
>some confirmation from the net.wisdom.  At the bottom of the board is
>printed ASSY 400090.  On the back is printed 410090 and (c) 1987.

	 I don't recognize the info, but I'd bet that you have
a legendary Apple Cat...

	Very "powerful" modem...  But it's only 300 baud (up to like
1200 or 2400 talking to ANOTHER Apple Cat through special software called
Cat Fur). You could get a Bell 212 upgrade (1200 baud), but that's another
card...

	This thing did/does neat things though... You can/could make your
Apple into an answering machine, and there was software that made
busy signals, ringing, Europea busy signals, etc...

	Pretty neat... I think Apple Cat owners are as protective and loyal
as Apple II owners in general.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

matt@iquery.PIC.COM (Matt Reedy) (11/10/90)

I am looking at an Apple IIe board made by Novation and am not sure what
it is.  The name across the top says Novation Inc., 1385.  There are
a couple of things printed on the board at the top: "Phone Line" and
"Handset."  I'm guessing from this that its a modem, but would like
some confirmation from the net.wisdom.  At the bottom of the board is
printed ASSY 400090.  On the back is printed 410090 and (c) 1987.

Does anyone recognize this info?  If it is a modem, what kind of
software might I need to make it work?  Any ideas on where I might
obtain such software and/or documentation?

A D t V h A a N k C s E

matt
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: uunet!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. Internet: matt@iquery.PIC.COM

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (11/11/90)

>        Very "powerful" modem...  But it's only 300 baud (up to like
>1200 or 2400 talking to ANOTHER Apple Cat through special software called
>Cat Fur). You could get a Bell 212 upgrade (1200 baud), but that's another
>card...

Not quite true. The Apple Cat could talk to another Apple Cat at 1200 baud at
half-duplex. A upgrade card allowed full duplex communication.

>        This thing did/does neat things though... You can/could make your
>Apple into an answering machine, and there was software that made
>busy signals, ringing, Europea busy signals, etc...

Absolutely...did you know that the Apple Cat was a full 4-voice synthesizer
(cleverly disguised). I used to have a two sided disk with song files for the
modem. The other side had a modified version of Music Construction Set for the
Cat. Other programs specifically written for the Cat were TSPS.2 (the program
which generated ringing sounds, foreign busy signals, etc.), Catsend and
Catfur (half-duplex file transfer programs), and a mass of extender-code
hacking programs (for free long-distance calling).

>        Pretty neat... I think Apple Cat owners are as protective and loyal
>as Apple II owners in general.

Too true...The Cat was the greatest...still got mine :)

! Mark Orr                   !
! $CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !