[comp.sys.apple2] APPLE HIGH SPEED SCSI Vs Ramfast

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca ("H. Grant Delaney") (10/23/90)

Here is a question for anyone.  I'm ordering a 80 Meg SCSI drive and want to
be able to daisy chain a CD Rom drive to it.  Will either the APPLE High
Speed SCSI or Ram Fast card allow me to do this.  I have a Pioneer drive
that should work (I got it for my Sterio as well) and would like to be
able to addit in for the ever so rare CD Roms.

Thanks
Grant Delaney
Delanryg@wnre.aecl.ca

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/23/90)

On Mon, 22 Oct 90 18:59:00 -0600 H. Grant Delaney said:
>Here is a question for anyone.  I'm ordering a 80 Meg SCSI drive and want to
>be able to daisy chain a CD Rom drive to it.  Will either the APPLE High
>Speed SCSI or Ram Fast card allow me to do this.  I have a Pioneer drive

Yes... as long as you set the terminators up right (don't ask me how though :).

>Thanks
>Grant Delaney
>Delanryg@wnre.aecl.ca

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

In article <9010230531.AA12688@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>On Mon, 22 Oct 90 18:59:00 -0600 H. Grant Delaney said:
>>Here is a question for anyone.  I'm ordering a 80 Meg SCSI drive and want to
>>be able to daisy chain a CD Rom drive to it.  Will either the APPLE High
>>Speed SCSI or Ram Fast card allow me to do this.  I have a Pioneer drive
>Yes... as long as you set the terminators up right (don't ask me how though :).

	BUZZZ! Sorry, thanks for playing, and no parting gifts for you...
(just kidding)

	At least in the last info I heard, the RAMFAST only worked with
plain old hard drives.. DIDN'T work with removable SCSI media, whether it
be floptical drives, Syquest based drives, or CD Roms..

	All of these problems were being worked on for a future version but
it doesn't exist now from what I heard.

	So I don't regret buying the Apple card since I plan on getting
a Syqyest based drive.. (when a newer version of the RAMfast that DOES
support removable media comes out, THEN I'll regret buying it!  Actually
not really, because buying the DMA Card shows how many II people are
around that still buy stuff for it!)
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (10/23/90)

In article <8101@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	At least in the last info I heard, the RAMFAST only worked with
>plain old hard drives.. DIDN'T work with removable SCSI media, whether it
>be floptical drives, Syquest based drives, or CD Roms..

Could someone confirm this?  I was planning on getting a Syquest for my GS,
and wanted to use the RAMfast card rather that the HS SCSI.  If the above
is true, though, I'll be stuck with the Apple board.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
"Apple II Forever"?  Looks like Forever = 13 years, 6 months
	(4/15/77 - 10/15/90)

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/24/90)

 The RAMFast Roms revision 2.0 will begin shipping
early november or dec., I forget.  THey will support
CD-ROM, Tape Drives, mouse-support in the config
program, and if space allows a cda.  $15 upgrade fee
for those who own RAMFasts.

BTW, I dunno even if the Apple DMA SCSI drive will
support the pioneer-cd rom.  Unless its gonna
conform to the scsi specs, it may not work.  For
example, I believe the NEC cd-rom drive doesn't
work.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/24/90)

In article <145*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca> delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca ("H. Grant Delaney") writes:
>Here is a question for anyone.  I'm ordering a 80 Meg SCSI drive and want to
>be able to daisy chain a CD Rom drive to it.  Will either the APPLE High
>Speed SCSI or Ram Fast card allow me to do this.

Yes, the Apple High-Speed SCSI Card supports this.  Follow the special
instructions for setting the SCSI device priority for the CD-ROM.
Last I heard, CirTech's RAMfast SCSI card supported hard disks only,
not CD-ROMs or scanners.

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (10/25/90)

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:

>In article <8101@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>	At least in the last info I heard, the RAMFAST only worked with
>>plain old hard drives.. DIDN'T work with removable SCSI media, whether it
>>be floptical drives, Syquest based drives, or CD Roms..

This is not correct.  The RamFast works fine with Syquest drives, I use
one every day.  What it does NOT do is allow you to change cartridges
without rebooting.  There is supposedly a ROM upgrade in the works to
allow this.

If you want to use the drive like a giant floppy then you can't with the
RamFast, yet anyway.  If you just want to be able to use it like a
regular drive that you can use to boot a particular cartridge or for backing up another hard drive, it works fine.

Apple's SCSI drivers allow the use of the drive as a true removable, so
cards that work with Apple's drivers will do that with the Syquest. The
RamFast has its own driver and it is not currently written to use the
mounting/dismounting abilities of the Syquest.

In article <1990Oct24.203500.13274@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>>In article <8101@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>>	At least in the last info I heard, the RAMFAST only worked with
>>>plain old hard drives.. DIDN'T work with removable SCSI media, whether it
>>>be floptical drives, Syquest based drives, or CD Roms..
>This is not correct.  The RamFast works fine with Syquest drives, I use
>one every day.  What it does NOT do is allow you to change cartridges
>without rebooting.  There is supposedly a ROM upgrade in the works to
>allow this.
>
>If you want to use the drive like a giant floppy then you can't with the
	That's the purpose of a Syquest, giant floppies... I'm most likely
getting one to use one cartridge for backup and one for the main cartridge
so I don't ever have to use floppies except for stuff I use so rarely it's
not worth putting on the cartridge...
>RamFast, yet anyway.  If you just want to be able to use it like a
>regular drive that you can use to boot a particular cartridge or for backing
>up another hard drive, it works fine.

	Ok.. Picky picky...

	Having a Syquest without being able to change drives is like me
giving you a floppy drive and saying you can never switch floppies.
Whoopie?!  The only use of a Syquest over a standard hard drive is its
removability.. (as Syquest based drives are usually at LEAST a little
bit slower than fast regular hard drives).

--

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (10/25/90)

In article <863@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>In article <8101@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>	At least in the last info I heard, the RAMFAST only worked with
>>plain old hard drives.. DIDN'T work with removable SCSI media, whether it
>>be floptical drives, Syquest based drives, or CD Roms..
>
>Could someone confirm this?  I was planning on getting a Syquest for my GS,
>and wanted to use the RAMfast card rather that the HS SCSI.  If the above
>is true, though, I'll be stuck with the Apple board.
>
>						Bob Halloran
>Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
>Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
>"Apple II Forever"?  Looks like Forever = 13 years, 6 months
>	(4/15/77 - 10/15/90)
Hi Folks!

I think the RamFAST will work well with Syquests as long as you do not
use removable-media features of the drive (i.e. removing the drive during
write or read operations). But there will be true support for that kind
of drives in nearest future when VC Tech will release their ROM Version 2.0
(I think it will be in four weeks...). I highly recommend the RamFAST. The
difference in Speed is amazing, and it is even better when using ProDOS 8.
The Apple High Speed is only about 20-30% faster that the old SCSI rev. C
and not worth the money...

Martin Georg
Frankfurt, Germany
----> Apple II forever! <----

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (10/25/90)

Both the Apple SCSI and the RAMfast should allow it. That's IS the one of the
features of SCSI devices after all -- daisy chaining.
scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (10/25/90)

The need for terminators is questionable. I have a 105 meg Unimac hooked up to
my GS, and no SCSI terminator is needed. (Course, when it first arrived in the
mail, and there was no terminator included, I was a bit annoyed. I called the
place I bought it from, and they said the new SCSI card didn't need
terminators). The point is, the HD works....

//////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\  Internet: scottr@applesauce.cts.com   /\   ts'hahl:     /
/  Handle:   Monte                       \/  no retreat    \
\  AKA: Monte * fytr                     /\  no surrender  /
/  America Online: COMING SOON!!         |---------------- \
/     Whataver you do, DON'T let them think FOR you!!!     \
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////
scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (10/26/90)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1990Oct24.203500.13274@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>>rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>>>In article <8101@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>
	>That's the purpose of a Syquest, giant floppies... I'm most likely
>getting one to use one cartridge for backup and one for the main cartridge
>so I don't ever have to use floppies except for stuff I use so rarely it's
>not worth putting on the cartridge...

That may be YOUR purpose but it is not everyones.

>>RamFast, yet anyway.  If you just want to be able to use it like a
>>regular drive that you can use to boot a particular cartridge or for backing
>>up another hard drive, it works fine.

>	Ok.. Picky picky...

>	Having a Syquest without being able to change drives is like me
>giving you a floppy drive and saying you can never switch floppies.
>Whoopie?!  The only use of a Syquest over a standard hard drive is its
>removability.. (as Syquest based drives are usually at LEAST a little
>bit slower than fast regular hard drives).

The need to change out 40 meg chunks of disk storage is far less than
the need to change out 140K or 800K chunks of disk storage.

With a regular drive you get X megs, period.  With a removable you get
unlimited megs in 40 meg chunks.  You can also use the drive on multiple
machines, ie you can have a ProDOS, MS-Dos and Mac cartridge and carry
the drive from one machine to the other when needed.

If you want to use it like a floppy be advised that letting one
cartridge spin down, removing it, inserting the new cartridge, letting
it spin up to speed takes about a minute and a half.  If you don't have
gobs of ram it is slower than backing up to floppies. If you do have
gobs of ram you can make a big RAM disk, copy a chunk of stuff to it,
remove the old cartridge and insert the new one and warm boot (takes
about 15 seconds with RamFast), then copy the contents of the RAM disk
to the new cartridge.

>--
>/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \

Rick Fincher
rnf@catt.ncsu.edu

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) writes:

>The need for terminators is questionable. I have a 105 meg Unimac hooked up to
>my GS, and no SCSI terminator is needed. (Course, when it first arrived in the
>mail, and there was no terminator included, I was a bit annoyed. I called the
>place I bought it from, and they said the new SCSI card didn't need
>terminators). The point is, the HD works....

Most drives these days are internally terminated.  That's fine when you
have only one drive, but when you daisy chain drives you have to remove
the intl terminators on all but the last drive.

All current SCSI devices must be terminated if they are at the end of
the chain.

>//////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>\  Internet: scottr@applesauce.cts.com   /\   ts'hahl:     /
>/  Handle:   Monte                       \/  no retreat    \
>\  AKA: Monte * fytr                     /\  no surrender  /
>/  America Online: COMING SOON!!         |---------------- \
>\----------------------------------------------------------/
>/     Whataver you do, DON'T let them think FOR you!!!     \
>\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////
>scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

Rick Fincher
rnf@catt.ncsu.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/26/90)

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) writes:

>The need for terminators is questionable. I have a 105 meg Unimac hooked up to
>my GS, and no SCSI terminator is needed. (Course, when it first arrived in the
>mail, and there was no terminator included, I was a bit annoyed. I called the
>place I bought it from, and they said the new SCSI card didn't need
>terminators). The point is, the HD works....

SCSI termination is a black art. Terminators are essentially resistors that
provide a 'cushion' for the signals moving down the wire. They can take the
form of either external terminator packs or of 3 little resistor packs (these
look like little chips with one row of pins) inside the drive or on the SCSI
card.

The DMA SCSI has a terminator built into it. The RAMFast has a dip switch
selectable terminator built into it. Your HD most probably has three little
resistor packs inside it (my Quantum 105 did), i.e. it probably has termination
built into it too. You can remove the HD's terminators but you have to open the
drive case and get to the drive mechansim itself to do it.

The point here is, the need for EXTERNAL terminators is questionable. The need
for terminators in general is very important because you can have creeping data
errors (with no warning!) if your termination is questionable. 99% of the time
it will be painfully obvious that the termination is bad (i.e. GS/OS will crash
midway through booting, and not because of DMA problems).

The official word on SCSI busses and termination is -- two terminators, one at
each _end_. If there are only two devices (i.e. 1 computer and 1 drive) then
you can usually get away with only one terminator, although two are preferable.
You can also usually get away with three terminators on a three device chain,
however I wouldn't recommend it (I've had some questionable errors occur under
those conditions).

Hope this makes a reasonable amount of sense.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/26/90)

On Thu, 25 Oct 90 01:56:03 GMT The Unknown User said:
>	Having a Syquest without being able to change drives is like me
>giving you a floppy drive and saying you can never switch floppies.
>Whoopie?!  The only use of a Syquest over a standard hard drive is its
>removability.. (as Syquest based drives are usually at LEAST a little
>bit slower than fast regular hard drives).

Well, it's a little better than that.  You CAN take out the cartridge and
reboot with another... It beets the alternativ of buying another hard drive
disconnecting the old and reconnecting the new one.  Actually, having the
ability to switch cartridges isn't as good as it sounds.
I've gat Syquest based Ehman 45meg removable and I have the ability to remove
a cartridge without rebooting, but it's a real pain because the system software
always asks for the system disk for every nit-picky thing I try to do, so I
have to hit the 'eject' button, wait for that cartridge to stop spinning, take
it out, put in the 'system' cartridge, wait 15 seconds for it to start up again
then tell it that it's there.  Then, the operating system asks for the other
cartridge again.  It's usually several times for each application I want to
launch.  So, whenever I want to use another cartridge, I just eject the old,
and reboot from the new.  It's not as practical swapping cartridges as it is
swapping floppies.

On the other hand, you COULD boot from a floppy, then there wouldn't be the
hassle of having to stick in the 'system' cartridge, but then, you're extremely
limited to the amount of NDA's CDEV's and CDA's you have installed and if you
ever want to do anything with floppies, you have to swap disks again, unless
you have more than one 3.5" drive but you're still faced with the NDA problem
and the speed (or 'lack of...') with the floppies.  Maybe the AE 3.5" 1.44meg
drive would make this feesible.

Anyway, I just thought you might want to hear what it's like from someone that
has already tried it, for your own benefit.

On Thu, 25 Oct 90 18:39:45 GMT Rick Fincher said:

>If you want to use it like a floppy be advised that letting one
>cartridge spin down, removing it, inserting the new cartridge, letting
>it spin up to speed takes about a minute and a half.  If you don't have
>gobs of ram it is slower than backing up to floppies. If you do have
                   ----------------------------------
DEFINITELY!!!!  I had to back up one of my cartridges.  I didn't have enough
floppies, so I thought I'd be clever and backup to another cartridge, well,
THREE DAYS later, I finally finished.  I had to leave the computer on when I
got tired, went to bed or went to work or school and finish whenever I came
back and hope to GOD that the power hadn't gone out while I was gone.
I don't recommend doing this unless you have TWO drives to copy cartridges.  I
had to swap disks at least a thousand times (no joke!)! It only copies a few
hundred Kilobytes at a time when you only have 1.2megs (and I used to think
a meg was alot of memory!)..  Anyway, when each swap takes a minute to a minute
and a half, don't count on using the computer for the next three days.

>Rick Fincher
>rnf@catt.ncsu.edu

|                                    |                               |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (10/26/90)

In article <0093EB2AE6574820.00000111@dcs.simpact.com> scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) writes:
>The need for terminators is questionable.

It is not at all questionable, since improper termination yields horrible
noise margins.  Apple's High-Speed (DMA) SCSI Card is internally terminated,
unlike the previous non-DMA Apple SCSI Card.  However, both ends of the
SCSI bus need termination.  Therefore, one more terminator is called for at
the "far" end of the bus.

Most SCSI devices are shipped with terminating resistor packs installed.
These are removable and in fact should be removed, unless you wish to use
internal termination at the far end of the SCSI bus in place of the more
convenient but more costly use of an external terminator.

In article <1990Oct25.183945.14458@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>The need to change out 40 meg chunks of disk storage is far less than
>the need to change out 140K or 800K chunks of disk storage.
>
>If you want to use it like a floppy be advised that letting one
>cartridge spin down, removing it, inserting the new cartridge, letting
>it spin up to speed takes about a minute and a half.  If you don't have
>gobs of ram it is slower than backing up to floppies. If you do have
>gobs of ram you can make a big RAM disk, copy a chunk of stuff to it,
>remove the old cartridge and insert the new one and warm boot (takes
>about 15 seconds with RamFast), then copy the contents of the RAM disk
>to the new cartridge.

	Well, on the 45 meg cartridge drive that I borrowed for a
weekend a few months ago (PLI brand, but is based on/uses the Syquest
mechanism like I think all 45 meg cartridge drives), it took more like
30 seconds to switch drives... at most... I could be wrong, but it
seemed a looot faster than the huge amounts of time other people had said
it would take.. (and yes, I did wait for it to completely stop, or else
I'd've ripped off the heads!)

	Also, with nearly the minimum bootable Finder I could put on it,
it still took ~30 seconds to boot I think.. or maybe it was with a few
DAs... Whatever, it wasn't with a huge system with tons of fonts or anything..
This was on Apple's DMA card too, and yes I had the special SCSI tools
in...  Just seemed kind of slow!

	But then again, I couldn't find any programs that would let me
change the interleave..
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com (Adam Robey) (10/27/90)

I saw a reply to this message that might or might not be right so I figured I
might as well let you know "just in case".

The Apple High Speed SCSI card should work perfectly with the CD-ROM drive and
the hard drive. However, the last I heard about RamFAST was that the current
revision did not support any devices EXCEPT for drives. They said they planned
a new version for later but you might want to ask them:
C.V. Technologies
9431 Saddlebrook Lane
Suite #2C
Miamisburg, OH 45342
(513) 435-5743

In any case, the RamFAST is a better card but the Apple card lists at $129 and
RamFAST lists at $160 MORE than that.

-AMR
| PROLINE: pro-novapple!adamr             | UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!adamr    |
| ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!adamr@nosc.mil | INET: adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com  |

taob@pnet91.uucp (Brian Tao) (10/28/90)

    The original RAMFast SCSI card only supported fixed hard drives and
removable media -- as long as you didn't remove them!  One benefit of buying
Apple peripherals is that you can be sure that future enhancements will be
compatible with it.  CV Tech has demonstrated that it can keep up with the
enhancements, as shown by its version 2.0 of the ROMs (shipping near the end
of November).

BT

UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob
INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (11/05/90)

RAMFast at the end of Nov will be upgraded to work with a wider variety of SCSI
products.  All you have to do is replace the current ROM on the RAMFast to
version 2.0.  It supports removable drives much better (RAMFast will work with
SysQuest 44M drives, except you're not allowed to change disks) and new support
for tape drives and CD-ROMs, etc.

People who have RAMFast already, will recieve a card in the mail notifying them
of the upgrade.  The upgrade ROMs will be $15.

In article <m0iVyJS-0001f2C@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>RAMFast at the end of Nov will be upgraded to work with a wider variety of SCSI
>products.  All you have to do is replace the current ROM on the RAMFast to
>version 2.0.  It supports removable drives much better (RAMFast will work with
>SysQuest 44M drives, except you're not allowed to change disks) and new support
>for tape drives and CD-ROMs, etc.

	I still don't consider that "support" of SyQuest drives! Without
being able to change disks, a SyQuest drive (while the computer is on) is
simply a ~45 megabyte hard drive. That's it. An expensive and relatively
slow ~45 megabyte hard drive at that.

	Does Cirtech have any kind of an upgrade from the Apple DMA SCSI
card to the RAMFast? If/when they TRULY support removable media I may
consider upgrading if they have any upgrade scheme.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

ronl@pnet91.cts.com (Ron Lewin) (11/06/90)

Note that Tae Song's original post about the RamFAST 2.0 ROM upgrade and
SyQuest drives were misleading.  The situation he describes (not being able to
change disks) is the current situation with the current ROMs.  The new ROMs
will allow you to change disks anytime, just like a 3.5" drive.  The hard
drive icon for the drive dims when you remove it, and a new one appears when
you pop in a new disk.

Ron

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ronl
INET: ronl@pnet91.cts.com

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (11/11/90)

|        I still don't consider that "support" of SyQuest drives! Without
|being able to change disks, a SyQuest drive (while the computer is on) is
|simply a ~45 megabyte hard drive. That's it. An expensive and relatively
|slow ~45 megabyte hard drive at that.
|
|        Does Cirtech have any kind of an upgrade from the Apple DMA SCSI
|card to the RAMFast? If/when they TRULY support removable media I may
|consider upgrading if they have any upgrade scheme.

Nono, the NEW ROMs WILL let you change cartridges, RIGHT NOW with the current
ROMs you can only use one!!!  I'm SORRY, I didn't didn't make my meaning CLEAR!
I'm lousy at explain thing, so sue me.

Second question no longer applies, I hope... I think you just want an excuse to
get Apple DMA card... sheesh...

Take my WORD... PLEASE... The RAMFast is kick-ass (excuse my french)... it
beats Apples card by a long shot, NOT to mention you can access 8-12 partition
in ProDOS 8 and you still get about the same speed as if you were in GS/OS
while your in ProDOS 8.  RAMFast, BTW is MADE by CV Tech, not Cirtech.  It does
writes to disk in the back ground... you don't have to wait for it to write to
disk... it waits for you to tell it to do something like roll over... :)

TRUST ME... YOU WILL NEVER REGRET GETTING RAMFAST!!!  You will regret not
getting it sooner!!!

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (11/11/90)

Thanks, Ron for explain about the RAMFast ROMs and SyQuest drives... I was a
bit excited cause I had enough money to get a Zip GSX and it was late, and I
needed some sleep... and I'm lousy at explain things... and.. and.. %)

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/11/90)

From whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song):

>Take my WORD... PLEASE... The RAMFast is kick-ass (excuse my french)... it
> beats Apples card by a long shot, NOT to mention you can access 8-12
> partition in ProDOS 8 and you still get about the same speed as if you were
> in GS/OS while your in ProDOS 8.  RAMFast, BTW is MADE by CV Tech, not
> Cirtech.  It does writes to disk in the back ground... you don't have to
wait
> for it to write to disk... it waits for you to tell it to do something like
> roll over... :)
>
> TRUST ME... YOU WILL NEVER REGRET GETTING RAMFAST!!!  You will regret not
> getting it sooner!!!

     You didn't address that post to me, although you did convince me further
to get a RAMFast over an Apple DMA... according to a local supplier, his next
shipment of RAMFasts (which will come in on Monday) will have the new ROM's
installed on them.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |