[comp.sys.apple2] an Idle Apple...

dragon@pawl.rpi.edu (Dragon) (11/08/90)

Has anyone else had any troubles with their systems crashing when they are
  left alone for short periods of time?  Programs seem to crash into the
  monitor for no apparent reason.  Any application that uses GS/OS or
  ProDOS 16 gives me this problem, especially when dialog windows are open for
  more that 10ish seconds without any mouse movement.  Games also seem to die
  after being left in pause more for more than a minute or so.  Has anyone else
  run into this annoying bug, and is there a way to get rid of it?

My system:
  Rev 01 ROM
  GS.OS 5.0.2 (usually)
  1.25 meg RAM
  Apple SCSI card
   Jasmine 70 (or so) meg HD

 Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

         -D.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/09/90)

    Do you have any screen blankers installed as INIT's or desk accessories in
your System?  Try taking out all the non-Apple INIT's (in your System.Setup
folder) and desk accessories and reboot.  If the computer doesn't crash
anymore, put a few back at a time and reboot.  If it starts crashing again,
then there is something in the latest batch you put back that is causing your
problem.  Try to isolate exactly which file is giving you problems.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (11/10/90)

In article <*D$^=0+@rpi.edu> dragon@pawl.rpi.edu (Dragon) writes:
>Has anyone else had any troubles with their systems crashing when they are
>  left alone for short periods of time?  Programs seem to crash into the
>  monitor for no apparent reason.  Any application that uses GS/OS or
>  ProDOS 16 gives me this problem, especially when dialog windows are open for
>  more that 10ish seconds without any mouse movement.  Games also seem to die
>  after being left in pause more for more than a minute or so.  Has anyone else
>  run into this annoying bug, and is there a way to get rid of it?

   Boy, do I remember this one! I spent some weeks trying to figure out
why all my GS specific programs were crashing if the ADB line was idle
for more than about a minute.
   The problem turned out to be bad RAM in the second 256kB (i.e. the
first populated bank on the RAM card). The annoying thing was that the
problems didn't show up on the RAM test because the computer had to be
warm, and the keyboard had to be left alone for a minute. I ran the RAM
check program about eight times, with no bad chips reported, and then
suddenly it showed seven chips bad out of eight on a later run of the
program.  I replaced them all, of course. Those were the RAM chips
which came with my Applied Engineering GS-RAM card. I made it a point to
buy only japanese made chips from then on. I've got 1.75MB now, and no
more problems.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  |
 neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! |  S = k log W

jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (11/10/90)

> Has anyone else had any troubles with their systems crashing when they are
> left alone for short periods of time?  Programs seem to crash into the
> monitor for no apparent reason.  Any application that uses GS/OS or
> ProDOS 16 gives me this problem, especially when dialog windows are open for
> more that 10ish seconds without any mouse movement.  Games also seem to die
> after being left in pause more for more than a minute or so.  Has anyone
> else eun into this annoying bug, and is there a way to get rid of it?

Crashes like that usually indicate a hardware problem.  One morning at work I
booted GS/OS 5.0.2 into the Finder, just a few minutes after 8am.  At around
11:30, it crashed to the monitor.  I hadn't touched it after turning it on.

Once in a while it locks up if I just let it sit, and it often gives Fatal
System Errors 681, 682, 683, and infrequently, 911 when restarting.  The
self-test always returns System Good, but there's something obviously wrong
somewhere.

> My system:
>   Rev 01 ROM
>   GS.OS 5.0.2 (usually)
>   1.25 meg RAM
>   Apple SCSI card
>    Jasmine 70 (or so) meg HD

The buggy GS I was using:
  Rev 01 ROM
  GS.OS 5.0.2 & 5.0.3
  1.25 meg RAM
  Apple UniDisk

Conclusion: none.  I swapped my GS for another from Tech Support and they had
it serviced.  I didn't find out what was wrong with it.  :-)

-- jeff@pro-avalon

UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!jeff
ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!jeff@nosc.mil
INET: jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.195818.26230@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>suddenly it showed seven chips bad out of eight ...

That's too much of a coincidence to be acausal.  There are several causes
I could imagine, among them static discharge damage from previous handling
of the chips, or a defective memory addressing support chip external to
the RAM itself (one of 8 permutations of three bits would be matched by
a "stuck" chip controlling those chips).

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (11/12/90)

In article <14416@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.195818.26230@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>>suddenly it showed seven chips bad out of eight ...
>
>That's too much of a coincidence to be acausal.  There are several causes
>I could imagine, among them static discharge damage from previous handling
>of the chips, or a defective memory addressing support chip external to
>the RAM itself (one of 8 permutations of three bits would be matched by
>a "stuck" chip controlling those chips).

   Well, from the time I got my AE card and began running ][GS specific
applications on it, they were crashing. Usually it began by fouling up
the graphics. On _The Bard's Tale_ it would start to scramble the view
window shapes, starting with random dots appearing on the view of the
city, and progressing to sudden dislocations (bottom half of the shape
shifted thirty pixels to the right), then finally just random noise
filling the window. Usually around then the computer would click a few
times and die completely.
   Anyway, after I replaced the eight RAM chips, it worked fine. No more
problems at all in the three years since then. I doubt that it could be
caused by a chip other than one of the RAMs. I just figured that I'd got
a bad batch of chips which had been mishandled between TI and AE. After
that, though, I recommended to people that they buy their RAM expansions
unpopulated. You have a better chance of a quick replacement if the
local chip store sold you some bad chips than you do if you have to send
it to Texas for a month, and then pick it up after it clears customs.

--

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.125417.16301@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>caused by a chip other than one of the RAMs. I just figured that I'd got
>a bad batch of chips which had been mishandled between TI and AE. After
>that, though, I recommended to people that they buy their RAM expansions
>unpopulated. You have a better chance of a quick replacement if the

Good luck trying to find empty RAM cards.  The first RAM card I tried for my
computer was a "Super Expander IIe" sold by a company named Nexo Distribution
(or something like that).  $59 for an empty card.  (I picked up 512K in 256Kx1
100ns RAM chips locally.)  It would've been OK if the softswitch to switch
banks was in the right place.  It was supposed to be a RamWorks-compatible
card, but the softswitch to switch banks was at $C071.  (A real RamWorks uses
$C073 to select 64K banks.)  I sent the card back under the money-back
guarantee and placed an order with Quality Computers for a real RamWorks III.
Smallest configuration available was 256K.

Bottom line: if you're interested in brand-name RAM cards, you probably won't
be able to find 'em empty.  (It would be nice, though, as you pay much more
for the factory-installed chips than you'd pay to get your own chips.)  About
all you can do is get the smallest memory configuration possible.  (The
RamWorks III, BTW, is supposed to be available in configurations as small as
64K, but I think you can only get that configuration directly from AE; for
what they want for direct purchases, you could get 256K elsewhere.)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

P.S.: I hope they fix our rn soon; replying to messages this way is a feat for
trained professionals only.  Do not attempt this at home. :-)