[comp.sys.apple2] Resource Editors

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/12/90)

    Are there any good resource editors for the GS?  Preferably shareware or
public domain (I don't have Rez or DeRez...)  The one I am using now is ResLin
version 0.04.  Is there a newer version out?  It crashes a lot when I try to
copy resources from one file to another.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (11/12/90)

In article <155@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>    Are there any good resource editors for the GS?  Preferably shareware or
>public domain (I don't have Rez or DeRez...)  The one I am using now is ResLin
>version 0.04.  Is there a newer version out?  It crashes a lot when I try to
>copy resources from one file to another.

To answer your first question: The best resource editor for the GS is GENESYS.
The new version 1.2.1 has many new features and will even generate the basic
code for your desktop program (IE. the TaskMaster loop etc.)

Now the bad news - it is not freeware or shareware. Its commercial and can be
obtained from APDA for $150 (US) or from Roger Coats mail-order for less than
$100 (US). But the good news is that its worth every penny, if you intend to
do any resource programming on the GS. I'd say its just about as useful as
the 3 toolbox references and a lot more educational (not to mention fun).

A must-have for any GS programmer. (or wanna-be)

P.S. Hey Brian check out your mail on Apple Core - I had trouble responding
to you over the Net.

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/13/90)

From alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea):

> To answer your first question: The best resource editor for the GS is
> GENESYS. The new version 1.2.1 has many new features and will even generate
> the basic code for your desktop program (IE. the TaskMaster loop etc.)

    I was going to post this reply a certain way, but that was before I
realized who sent it... ;-)  I've heard many good things about Genesys (mainly
from you and Pat), but I just need something that will let me view resources,
get some info on them, and copy them to other files.  I want to copy icons and
XCMD's and sounds from one HCGS stack to another, but ResLin crashes too often
during a long copy.

    By the way, I got your mail on Apple Core.  Thanks!

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (11/14/90)

In article <170@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>    I was going to post this reply a certain way, but that was before I
>realized who sent it... ;-)  I've heard many good things about Genesys (mainly
>from you and Pat), but I just need something that will let me view resources,
>get some info on them, and copy them to other files.  I want to copy icons and
>XCMD's and sounds from one HCGS stack to another, but ResLin crashes too often
>during a long copy.

I don't know of any utility to do that. Sounds like what would do the job is
REZ/DeREZ, but you've already said yo don't have it.

Sounds like a good project for someone though.