[comp.sys.apple2] ImageWriter 4.0 drivers

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/11/90)

    Does anyone know why the "Color" option on the new driver with 5.0.3 is
disabled?  It doesn't matter whether I'm in Platinum Paint or AWGS or
GraphicWriter or whatever.  I can only print in black and white.  Don't tell
me Apple has found some way to tell if I have a colour ribbon in the
ImageWriter!  Time to do some hacking...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/12/90)

 You got it.  The driver senses whether a color
ribbon is installed or not and acts accordingly.

In article <151@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>    Does anyone know why the "Color" option on the new driver with 5.0.3 is
>disabled?  It doesn't matter whether I'm in Platinum Paint or AWGS or
>GraphicWriter or whatever.  I can only print in black and white.  Don't tell
>me Apple has found some way to tell if I have a colour ribbon in the
>ImageWriter!  Time to do some hacking...

Of course there is a way of checking for a color ribbon in an Imagewriter II--
and the ImageWriter I didn't support multi-colored ribbons.
(if you have a non-standard color ribbon, just tape down the microswitch in the
center of the ribbon area on the printer)

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (11/12/90)

Brian T. Tao writes:
> [color option in IW driver disabled]... Don't tell me Apple has found some
> way to tell if I have a colour ribbon in the ImageWriter!

The ability to detect which type of ribbon has been built in to the IWII
since it was introduced.  There's a little hole on the bottom of the color
ribbon that is not present on the black ribbon, which the printer can detect.
There is a control code you can send to the printer to let your program
know which ribbon is installed.

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (11/12/90)

>     Does anyone know why the "Color" option on the new driver with 5.0.3 is
> disabled?  It doesn't matter whether I'm in Platinum Paint or AWGS or
> GraphicWriter or whatever.  I can only print in black and white.  Don't tell
> me Apple has found some way to tell if I have a colour ribbon in the
> ImageWriter!  Time to do some hacking...

That's what they've done.  The Color selection is disabled unless a color
ribbon is installed in the ImageWriter.

-- jeff@pro-avalon

UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!jeff
ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!jeff@nosc.mil
INET: jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/12/90)

From 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao):

>  You got it.  The driver senses whether a color
> ribbon is installed or not and acts accordingly.

    No kidding!!!  I just made a wild guess... hey, that's pretty nifty!  I
thought it was a bug at first (maybe to keep us on the hook for 4.1) since I
didn't think you could tell what kind of ribbon was in the printer from
software.  With that cleared up, I'm going to stick in a blue-ink ribbon and
see if the menu changes to from "Black and White" to "Blue and White"... ;-)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/13/90)

Yes, actually, there is a way to tell if you have a color ribbon in your
IW2.  The printer knows; see the microswitch in the middle of the ribbon
holder?  That tells the printer you have a color ribbon.  And the
printer reports this to the computer as a part of its status code, which
I believe is returned by issuing ESC-? to the printer.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/13/90)

    Gee, do I ever feel dumb now...  I really never knew you could tell which
ribbon was in the ImageWriter II!  Why wasn't that feature ever implemented
before?  I accidentally printed out a colour Print Shop GS sign once with a
black ribbon (with naturally horrible results).  It would have been nice if it
notified me to insert the rainbow ribbon.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (11/14/90)

      The driver knows whether or not you have a color ribbon in your printer.
 It knows this by seeing if the little switch under where the ribbon goes
 is depressed or not.  I thought the same thing you did and then poped the ol
 color ribbon in and all is well in the universe.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 at URIACC

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (11/14/90)

Actually, from what I've heard, yeah, IW 4.0 CAN detect the color
ribbon.

Replies to gt0t@andrew.cmu.edu, cause he told me so.

foo.

Brendan G. Hoar