[comp.sys.apple2] humanitarian request

BJ020000@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Dave Mueller) (11/11/90)

In article <26688.273c18a1@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, petrino@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:

>Dear NetFolks,
>
>We would appreciate your responding to the request of Craig Shergold who
>is a seven year old boy with an inoperable tumor on his brain.
>
>He has not been given a very long time to live and it is Craig's ambition
>to enter the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of get
>well cards ever received by an individual.
>
>Please send your card to:
>
>     Craig Shergold
>     % Children's Make-A-Wish Foundation
>     32 Parimeter Center East
>     Atlanta, Georgia 30346
>

>               -------------------------------------
>
>Letters similar to this have been sent out by traditional mail to large
>organizations all across the U.S. on Craigs behalf. Instead of passing
>it on by land-mail, I thought the net would be a great way of getting
>the word out to as many people as possible in as short a time as possible.
>
>Please pitch-in & send Craig a get well card, and by all means feel free
>to circulate this letter to local businesses/organizations, or other
>BBS's you may belong to. All your help and effort will certainly be
>appreciated! Thank you.
>
>                                      Sincerely,
>                                                Jack Petrino

>       Jack Petrino (DRAGON)        int: PETRINO@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU
>       Systems Testing              bit:     PETRINO@UKANVAX
>       University of Kansas         vox:      (913)864-0443
>       Computer Center              fax:      (913)864-0485
>
>PS - I apologize for the possible redundancy of posting this net-wide. I
>     hope everyone can understand the necessity/urgency of the situation.

Geez, didn't this just go through the net a year or so again??????

Dave

bh@eng.auburn.edu (Brian Hartsfield) (11/11/90)

Unless this is a different kid, he has gotten well.  I do know that the kid
that wanted to get into the world record book for most cards recived has gotten
well an ddoesn't want the cards.  Unless this is a second kid that wants the
same thing then you don't want to send cards.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/11/90)

In article <90314.184405BJ020000@NDSUVM1.BITNET> BJ020000@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Dave Mueller) writes:
>Geez, didn't this just go through the net a year or so again??????

Yes, and I hope that whoever allowed this turkey's site to connect to the
network yanks his plug.  Chain letters are against the law for GOOD REASON.

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (11/11/90)

PLEASE, let's not start this one running around again!  I don't know
where people keep digging this story up from, but IT DIED OUT A VERY
LONG TIME AGO.  Please don't post anything else here (or in any other
newsgroup) regarding "Craig Shergold" (assuming that he exists and is
not a net_prankster's idea of a joke) or sending tons of snail mail to
a certain address.  Thank you for your attention.

(Not to mention, what does this have to do with the Apple II? :-) )

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/12/90)

On Sat, 10 Nov 90 20:11:29 GMT <sdd.hp.com!caen!kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!petrino@DECWR
>He has not been given a very long time to live and it is Craig's ambition
>to enter the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of get
>well cards ever received by an individual.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but DO NOT MAIL THIS GUY GET WELL CARDS!!!
This was about TEN years ago and the poor family STILL gets get well cards.
They have surpassed the worlds record COUNTLESS times.  They appreciate that
so many people have participated, but it's just become a neusence for the
past few years.  The guy finally got well too and is no longer ill.

-IF- this happens to be another child, I appoligize, but I don't think it
would be possible for him to pass the world record in his short lifetime,
considering this other one has been going on for nearly a decade.

 ______________________________________
| BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm              |
| pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com |
|______________________________________|

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/12/90)

... gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>... BJ020000@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Dave Mueller) writes:

>>Geez, didn't this just go through the net a year or so again??????

>Yes, and I hope that whoever allowed this turkey's site to connect to the
>network yanks his plug.  Chain letters are against the law for GOOD REASON.

C'mon, the article has been cancelled already.  Also I don't see much in
that article that would be considered a chain letter.  One thinks that
some people tend to overreact.

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    Do you know what you have done?

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/12/90)

        Do you think that maybe (if this is a prank) its gotten its
origionator some $$$? I mean lets say I feel sorry for the poor kid and
send along in my card a couple of dollars for whatever, multiply by netwide
response (and by newspaper circulation,direct mailing, etc...) and this
could add up! Not everyone will send money but if you get enough people
sending in cards many will....If this *IS* a prank its absolutly EVIL, because
there ARE kids out there who need this kind of compassion and whenever a
huckster comes along like this it just makes people cynical when a REAL
need comes along....I know, this isn't about the // so I'll shut up now....
                                                - Joe Nowakowski
                                                - NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA
                                                - Mene Mene Tekel Pharsin......

In article <9011111904.AA16172@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>I don't mean to sound heartless, but DO NOT MAIL THIS GUY GET WELL CARDS!!!
>This was about TEN years ago and the poor family STILL gets get well cards.
>They have surpassed the worlds record COUNTLESS times.  They appreciate that
>so many people have participated, but it's just become a neusence for the
>past few years.  The guy finally got well too and is no longer ill.
>
>-IF- this happens to be another child, I appoligize, but I don't think it
>would be possible for him to pass the world record in his short lifetime,
>considering this other one has been going on for nearly a decade.

	Yes, this is another child, but it is an "urban legend come true".

	This story has been going around for many many many years.. I
would bet that this kid (Craig Shergold) heard this rumor and wanted to
"beat the other kid in # of cards" or something like that.

	The original story is FALSE. This (unfortunately) has been made
true by this kid so now the dumb story will be passed around a zillion
more times.

	I don't mean to sound heartless either but the dude has gotten so
many letters they don't know what to do with them. [This is what I've heard
thirdhand from people who have seen it on the news].

	READ ALT.FOLKLORE.URBAN and Jan Harold Brunvand's books
for more info! [Alt.folklore.computers will give you computer folklore
too!]
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (11/13/90)

I haven't read any more messages but this sounds EXACTLY the same as the case
of a young 7 year old dying from cancer, his name was Buddy.  The entire thing
was a hoax.  It's been written up in a number of newspapers a number of times.
 Too bad that there's jerks around.

Sorry.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/13/90)

In article <10177.apple.net@pro-angmar> m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) writes:
> Too bad that there's jerks around.

It's also too bad that people (not meaning you) don't think before posting
such articles as the "humanitarian request".  There are newsgroups where
such articles would be appropriate, but this is certainly not one of them.
If everybody were allowed to post without regard for topic subdivisions,
the USEnet would quickly lose its last vestige of utility.  And the idea
that it was "for a good cause" is no excuse; we all have our own pet
causes, for example religious ones, but it would utterly spoil these
newgroups for almost everyone were we to try to espouse our causes in
the entire set of accessible newsgroups.

Hopefully we can get back to Apple II discussions.

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/14/90)

]n Sun, 11 Nov 90 22:00:54 GMT The Unknown User said:

>	Yes, this is another child, but it is an "urban legend come true".
>
>	The original story is FALSE. This (unfortunately) has been made
>
>	I don't mean to sound heartless either but the dude has gotten so
>many letters they don't know what to do with them. [This is what I've heard
>thirdhand from people who have seen it on the news].

Yeah, I think this is the kid I knew about.  I saw a couple of stories on the
news a few years ago.  They had boxes and boxes of cards and more were still
coming in.  I must not have heard about the false one before.
Well, I guess everyone's gotten the message by now, so I'll get off this topic
and start talking about //'s...
Does anyone know what the "TAO way of thinking" is?  Someone mentioned this
to me in a message a while ago.  I asked them what it meant and got no reply.
Someone else asked too, but got no reply (no public one anyway).  Does this
have to do with Apple //'s or is it some wierd cult thing?