[comp.sys.apple2] AW on GS

whittington@fixsr1.dec.com (Phantom) (11/14/90)

I have a Apple GS using standard AppleWorks(sorry don't know the version) but
it is'nt AWGS for sure. I have a problem when I print a long document where
lines start to get overprinted, and then garbage characters come out, and then
the printer stops. All my hardware is Apple, ImageWriter with Apple cables. Has
anyone ever run into this kind of problem. I can't give you an example since my
system does'nt overprint.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/15/90)

In article <1981@shodha.enet.dec.com> whittington@fixsr1.dec.com (Phantom) writes:
>I have a Apple GS using standard AppleWorks(sorry don't know the version) but
>it is'nt AWGS for sure. I have a problem when I print a long document where
>lines start to get overprinted, and then garbage characters come out, and then

  Ah hah!  This is, I believe, an infamous "buffer overflow" problem.
It probably means something is wrong with hardware handshaking.  Take a look
at the control panel settings for the printer, and make sure all the
settings are at their defaults (a checkmark beside them).
  I'm assuming you have the Imagewriter hooked up to the serial port with
the Apple Cable. so we'll also assume nothing is wrong with the cable.
  If the above suggestion doesn't change it, open up the printer and
check the dipswitch settings.  Make sure that some sort of hardware hand
shaking is enabled (you do have the printer manual, don't you?)

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)