[comp.sys.apple2] Lots of stuff

In article <9011141959.AA04825@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>On Tue, 13 Nov 90 17:16:05 GMT Daniel Zimmerman said:
>>No, this is DEFINITELY NOT true. Apple will release HyperCard IIGS once they
>>get it completely debugged, etc...There have been "hints" from Apple people on
>>America Online that HCGS will be released at AppleFest in California, early
>>December, and this makes sense (right in time for holidays, etc...)
>One of my mac friends told me that he read, in Mac User, that a beta version of
>HyperCard GS was sent to dovelopers on CD ROM not too long ago.
>(If this is old news, sorry.)

	Well there's this Apple_shows_off_their_Macs_to_faculty_and_staff
in one of the buildings I was just in.. I took a look at everything and
was walking around and talking to people for a few minutes... I even gave
some advice to some guy asking questions that the Apple dude he was
directing the questions to said was better than the advice he had given..
(It was about moving files between some application that didn't export and
some well known program like Fourth Dimension... I suggested printing it
out and then using OCR... That seemed like the best idea since the program
was some specialized program for some business)

	Well back to the subject.. I was talking to this same Apple guy for
a few minutes later, and asked about Hypercard GS (even though it was a "Mac"
conference/showoff, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask Apple employees).
Well, this guy said that it had just been shipped to APDA.

	I also kinda hyped at the guy how Apple pre-announces stuff for the
Mac all the time and then spout their hypocritial "we do not preannounce
products" line when it concerns Apple II stuff.. The specifics involved
were System 7 for the Mac (which ADMITTEDLY sounds neat) and System 6 or\
anything else for the GS.  Another tidbit... Another guy asking was questions
about System 7 for the Mac.. The Apple rep couldn't think of any more
differences, so I said something like "Like the Apple IIGS has had forever,
they're finally making fonts and DAs regular files so you don't need stupid
FONT/DAmover".. Left hook, right hook.. dig dig..

	I also tried to find out how to get the Apple II supported in our
(and other college) bookstores. I talked to two people about it. They were
saying the expected thing about "it will cost a lot to do with having
to have them in stock, etc., and there will be relatively low sales"..
I still think that's BS because if they sold GSes for as big a discount
as Macs they'd sell a lot if they put a LITTLE work into advertizing. (I MEAN
is school bookstores here, not just general advertizing, which we also need
LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS more of).   The lady I was talking to said they
HAVE given exceptions to the "No Apple IIs in college bookstores" RULE that
they have, and they haven't sold well...

	I forgot to tell the Apple guy about the PMMU that's being implimented
for the GS nor about the multitasing available for the GS. He was telling
some guy about the PMMU on the Mac (68881 I believe, right??) and he was
saying it was a "partial" PMMU or something like that...  And I wanted to
tell him later that a card/mod for the GS using the 68851 (a FULL PMMU)
was being designed.. I mailed the guy who's designing it the chip specs
about a week ago. The Apple guy had gone to lunch though and I forgot about
it..
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/