[comp.sys.apple2] Born again Apple II user wants advice -- response summary

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (11/14/90)

>* What's the best program for breaking copy-protection schemes?
(So I can move old AppleII+ programs to a hard drive.)

Copy II+, version 9.x is the program to have for cracking copy
protection.  One person also mentioned Essential Data Duplicator.

If the protection is bypassed there is a small chance of being able to
run programs from the hard disk.  (Of course, a bit-copy to another
disk is no more usable than the original disk).  However, there is
general agreement that the prospects are dismal.

>* What are the major Apple II magazines, and what is their emphasis?
>(I'm most interested in product evaluations.)

Computist magazine is THE resource for copy-protection-removal
information; subscriptions are $24 - $28 a year (8 issues).

	COMPUTIST
	33821 E Orville Rd
	Eatonville, WA  98328

A+/Incider was mentioned by several people, but not with much
enthusiasm; it gets all the ads.  A+/Incider will also be covering Mac
LC.  Another magazine is Nibble.

>* There are some great mail-order software houses for the Mac; is there
>anything comparable for the Apple II?

Two people mentioned Programs Plus.

>* What great software (particularly games) has come out in the last,
>say, two years?  (I have some catching up to do.)

Recommend software includes Appleworks 3.0 (2 people) and ProTerm 2.2,
Prince of Persia, Arkanoid, Ultima V, Rommel.

Thanks to:
	ah499@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John Daniels)
	lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang)
	fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden)
	cs441219@umbc5.umbc.edu (Sang J. Moon)
	NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA (Joe Nowakowski)
	cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger)
	ART100@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Andy Tefft)

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/15/90)

In <15568@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

>>* What's the best program for breaking copy-protection schemes?
>(So I can move old AppleII+ programs to a hard drive.)

>Copy II+, version 9.x is the program to have for cracking copy
>protection.

Has the problem with version 9.x actively disliking GS/OS forked files to
the extent of destroying the volume they are found on been fixed?  This is
the thing that keeps me from upgrading from v8.2 (after upgrading from
v7.2 -- still use that one, as I have lots of disk images lying around).

--
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    Do you know what you have done?