[comp.sys.apple2] Incompatibility between Sider & 5.03

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/11/90)

 For those who own Sider drives, you've got a slight
problem.  They are incompatible with 5.03.  The
problem occurs when you press volume in the standard
files dialog.  FCP hasn't said much about fixing the
problem (they've known about it for a while).  One
solution is to buy a RAMFast SCSI card.

In article <7103@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:

> For those who own Sider drives, you've got a slight
>problem.  They are incompatible with 5.03.  The
>problem occurs when you press volume in the standard
>files dialog.  FCP hasn't said much about fixing the
>problem (they've known about it for a while).  One
>solution is to buy a RAMFast SCSI card.

Huh? The Sider I have isn't SCSI-- it has a Xebec SASI controller inside--
SASI was the predecessor to SCSI, but I don't recall them being completely
compatible?  Am I misinformed?

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/12/90)

 RamFast works with SASI drives also, my mistake.
You just get a special cable from CVTech I think.
Call them at 1-513-435-5743 for more info.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.184951.29795@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>Huh? The Sider I have isn't SCSI-- it has a Xebec SASI controller inside--
>SASI was the predecessor to SCSI, but I don't recall them being completely
>compatible?  Am I misinformed?

  One of the nice things about the RAMFast is it's ability to support SASI
drives.  Basically, you can plug your Sider directly into it, for some major
performance improvements I'm sure.  This whole notestring is making me want
to get a RAMfast more and more.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (11/12/90)

> For those who own Sider drives, you've got a slight
>problem.  They are incompatible with 5.03.  The
>problem occurs when you press volume in the standard
>files dialog.  FCP hasn't said much about fixing the
>problem (they've known about it for a while).  One
>solution is to buy a RAMFast SCSI card.

A much chearper solution is to get a All ProDos ROM for the Xebec host card
from Advanced Tech Services.  I can get dig up their address for those who
are interested.

Daniel

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!danield
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!danield@nosc.mil

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/13/90)

In article <6937.apple.net2@pro-grouch> danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) writes:
>A much chearper solution is to get a All ProDos ROM for the Xebec host card
>from Advanced Tech Services.  I can get dig up their address for those who
>are interested.

  Unfortunately, Advanced Tech is out of business (owner died, or something
like that).  Anyway, a better product is still sold by On Three, Inc.

On Three, Inc.
206 334 8001
1802 Mitchell Road
Lake Stevens, WA 98258

Price of the Prodos Only ROMs is $59.99 (at least on this sheet, I think
I was quoted $50.00 even), and includes a GS/OS custom driver.  I've noticed
INCREDIBLE speed increases over the old setup.  Definitely worth the
money (although I wish it was a little cheaper, I'm not complaining).

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
   Apple II Forever!        |                             (B O'Cult)
Comp.Sys.Apple2- Home of the Unofficial Apple II Developer Support Team (DST)

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (11/14/90)

    I have a 10 meg sider and just installed 5.0.3 3 days ago.  It works
 GREAT!  The volume button works, everything works!  And boy do I like
 that new printer driver, should have had it long ago.  So the incompatability
 message you sent isn't entirley accurate.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 at URIACC

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov11.184951.29795@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <7103@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
>>
>> For those who own Sider drives, you've got a slight
>>problem.  They are incompatible with 5.03.  The
>>problem occurs when you press volume in the standard
>>files dialog.  FCP hasn't said much about fixing the
>>problem (they've known about it for a while).  One
>>solution is to buy a RAMFast SCSI card.
>
>Huh? The Sider I have isn't SCSI-- it has a Xebec SASI controller inside--
>SASI was the predecessor to SCSI, but I don't recall them being completely
>compatible?  Am I misinformed?
>--
>Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
>     .sig under construction, like the rest of this campus.
Yes and No!
The RAMFast basically is a SCSI card, but it can also handloke the older
SASI Harddrives like the Siders. So, The RAMFast is the best buy.

Martin Georg
Frankfurt, Germany
----> Apple II forever! <----

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (11/15/90)

> For those who own Sider drives, you've got a slight
> problem.  They are incompatible with 5.03.

A solution to this, other than buying a RamFast (hey, not everyone is rich),
is to send $15.00 to Bob Consorti, 1050 W. Columbia, #3E, Chicago, IL 60626.
Bob wrote most of the ROMs for FCP's other drives, and once he discovered the
problem with the D9 ROM, he wrote a replacement ROM.

FCP isn't involved with Bob's efforts to make this ROM fix available. They're
still emerging from bankruptcy, but they've given Bob permission to sell the
ROMs for now. FCP did not contract with Bob for the new ROM: he did this on
his own, hoping that FCP might want a quick fix (way to go, Bob!).

Bob's phone number, if you want to call first, is 312-338-2202.
----
ProLine:  edward@pro-harvest                 BIX: edward2
Internet: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com         CIS: 73220,1624
UUCP:     crash!pro-harvest!edward           America Online: Elseware
ARPA:     crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil  GEnie: E.FLODEN