[comp.sys.apple2] clocks

wardo@pro-pac.cts.com (Ward Weathers) (11/09/90)

Can anybody recommend a clock for an Apple //e?  I've been thinking of
purchasing one but don't know the differences between the various makes, or
what reasonable prices are.

Thanks in advance....
Ward Weathers

bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) (11/13/90)

In article <5534@crash.cts.com> wardo@pro-pac.cts.com (Ward Weathers) writes:
>Can anybody recommend a clock for an Apple //e?  I've been thinking of
>purchasing one but don't know the differences between the various makes, or
>what reasonable prices are.

I have a No slot Clock.  It is a chip which pops into any ROM socket on the
motherboard.  You then plug the ROM back into the NO Slot Clock.  It requires
a ProDOS patch which the provided software does for you and it works like a
charm.  I paid $60 in Canada for it and am very happy I got it.  In fact, I
don't even mind doing a little free advertising for it here!!

As far as I can tell, the NSC has all the features you could ever need in a
clock and it's cheap!!

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca
--

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca       (Please Note the Lower case!!)

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) (11/13/90)

In article <109@braille.uwo.ca> bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) writes:
>As far as I can tell, the NSC has all the features you could ever need in a
>clock and it's cheap!!

Everything, anyway, except guaranteed ProDOS compatibility.  I've seen
too much grief arise whenever Apple comes out with a new version of
ProDOS and all the No-Slot Clock owners scramble for a new patch.
You're better off getting a Thunderclock, or something that looks like
a Thunderclock (such as a Timemaster H.O.).  I don't think the
Thunderclock is still in production, though; I got mine used.  $20,
and it will always work with ProDOS because it's the standard Apple
picked.  Applied Engineering still sells the Timemaster; it's supposed
to have a few more features than the Thunderclock and lists for...I
don't have AE's price sheet, but I have a Quality Computers catalog
that lists it for $78.95.  Sure, it may cost about twice as much as
the No-Slot Clock (which typically sells in the $35-$40 range), but I
think the compatibility with future versions of ProDOS is worth the
extra price.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (11/13/90)

In article <2276@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>In article <109@braille.uwo.ca> bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) writes:
>>As far as I can tell, the NSC has all the features you could ever need in a
>>clock and it's cheap!!
>
>Everything, anyway, except guaranteed ProDOS compatibility.

A friend of mine has the NSC and it gives him a lot of grief with his
Rocketchip. I don't know about Zipchip compatibility though.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (11/14/90)

On the other hand, I have a TimeMaster HO from Applied Engineering which will
work with ProDOS with no patches.  I love it.  They do good work at AE and
it's reliable.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (11/14/90)

Good point.  I'm running my TimeMaster HO with a Zip-4 and have had no
problems whatsoever.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

CMDSEN@PRIMEG.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU (11/15/90)

I use a Timemaster II HO clock in one of my IIe's, and a SMT NoSlotClock in my other IIe.
I do not modify any ProDos versions, but use Sean Nolan's 'setup.system'
to install the Ramworks Prodrive and the NSC driver at bootup.  I used
this setup since ProDOS v 1.1.1 thru 1.8 with no problems.  I also use
a Apricorn NoSlotClock on a II+ with the same 'setup' system.  No problems.

Either type of clock works fine in my opinion.  I guess I prefer the NSC
since it doesn't use a 'slot' in my IIe (it uses a socket on my UDC card
in the II+ in slot 5).

  --Steven Nelson, Univ. of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
    cmdsen@primeg.weeg.uiowa.edu  (internet)
    cmdsenpg@uiamvs.bitnet   (bitnet)

ST6934@SIUCVMB.BITNET (11/15/90)

I use a no-slot clock on a Laser 128EX at up to 3.6 Megahertz.
Andy Werner
st6934@SIUCVMB

bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) (11/15/90)

In article <2276@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>Except compatibility...
{stuff deleted}

>the No-Slot Clock (which typically sells in the $35-$40 range), but I
>think the compatibility with future versions of ProDOS is worth the
>extra price.

Scott is indeed right.  If you are one of those people that just have to
have the latest version of ProDOS (even if you don't have a IIfs and can't
make use of the "improvements" (which are questionable)), then you should
not get a No Slot Clock.

On the other hand, if you are happy with the version of ProDOS that you
are using what the hec?

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca
--

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) (11/15/90)

In article <112@braille.uwo.ca> bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) writes:
>Scott is indeed right.  If you are one of those people that just have to
>have the latest version of ProDOS (even if you don't have a IIfs and can't
>make use of the "improvements" (which are questionable)), then you should
>not get a No Slot Clock.

What's a "IIfs?"  Did Apple come out with a new II and only you heard
about it? :-)

Seriously, though, I don't have a IIGS, and the improvements in ProDOS
8 v1.9 won't show up on a GS unless you use ProDOS 8 exclusively and
never bother with GS/OS.  The single most important (IMHO) feature of
the new version is the program selector, made with the IIe and IIc
user in mind.  GS users will probably never see this because they use
the Finder for everything.

>On the other hand, if you are happy with the version of ProDOS that you
>are using what the hec?

Remember ProDOS 8 v1.3?  I never had it happen to me, but there was a
small bug that liked to trash disks if you ran that version on a II
Plus or original IIe.  (The "bug" was the use of a 65C02 opcode;
version 1.4 fixed this.)  There are other obscure bugs that pop up
from time to time as well.  Wouldn't you feel safer with the knowledge
that a newer version of system software probably has fewer bugs that
could rear their ugly faces?  I would.  (Even though I've never seen an
Apple II crash as a result of a bug in ProDOS 8, which is more than
you can say for other computers and their system software--why does
the name "Macintosh" come to mind here? :-) )

In article <2301@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>GS users will probably never see this [program selector] because they use
>the Finder for everything.

	EXCUUUUUUUSE me??  I realize I'm only one person, but I would
bet that lots of other people would agree with me that we don't use the
Finder "for everything". For file copying, sure.. (The Finder is the
ABSOLUTE BEST and ABSOLUTE FASTEST file copier I've found... Being able to
select files like in Wings would be nice {Don't suggest viewing BY NAME, I
know about that}, but it's pretty darn good the way it is).

	Admittedly, if I had a hard drive, I would probably use GS/OS and
the Finder a LOOOOOT more (especially if I had a RamFAST... 6 seconds to
desktop??? WHEW!)...

	Now I use ProDOS 8 probably at least 90% of the time... That may
be because my most frequently used program is ProTERM (at least 90% of
my computer use lately! heh)... But I still use ProDOS 8 things a LOT.
I wonder if the new selector is just like SQUIRT or is as good as ProSEL.
(yeah right).

	As you can tell, I haven't seen it yet..

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

alfter@uns-helios-nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) (11/16/90)

In article <8971@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>I wonder if the new selector is just like SQUIRT or is as good as ProSEL.
>(yeah right).

It's more like Bird's Better Bye than anything else.  I used BBB all
the time before the new version of ProDOS came out.  Now that I have a
decent amount of RAM, though (1 meg vs. the 128K I had before), I
stand about a 50/50 chance of quitting either to the new code or to
Davex.  (RAMdisks are soooo nice! :-) )