[comp.sys.apple2] Help with Programmable Drivers

araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) (11/16/90)

Question for all you IIgs C wizards:

I'm writing a program that I would like to be able to load drivers for. I
know it's possible to load them on a IIgs, but I don't know have much of
an idea of where to start. Ie, what's the basic code to do such I thing
such as using what calls to the system loader must be made, and how to I
get my code in memory to recognize the driver's entry points? Pseudocode
or actual code would be appreciated. Also, when are the limitations of
doing this? Can I only call to the loaded segment or can that segment
call functions in my main program code. Also, would this segment be able
to access global program variables, and can the global program access
local variables in the driver?

PS. if you care, I'm writing a terminal program (yet another one) and I'd
like to support drivers and terminal emulations that a user could write.

                     Internet: araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
               America Online: xela      (Real Life: Alex Raftis)

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) (11/16/90)

In article <27430daf.2a61@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> sjacques@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Shawn D. Jacques) writes:
>PS. if you care, I'm writing a terminal program (yet another one) and I'd
>like to support drivers and terminal emulations that a user could write.

I don't know if you're making something GS-specific, but yesterday I
posted a driver to comp.binaries.apple2 for the Apple Super Serial
Card that runs under ProDOS 8.  It's part of a system I'm working on
(how many others are also working on telecomm programs? :-) ) that
will be user-extensible.  I intend to write a double-Hi-Res-based ANSI
terminal emulator (IBM graphics included) and a full ZMODEM, both of
which will be modules that will work with the above-mentioned SSC
driver through a kernel that I'll also have to write.  I can write
stuff that will run on 8-bit machines, but support for GS features
such as the GS modem port and super-Hi-Res display would have to be
left to someone else to write.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/