[comp.sys.apple2] New Apple ][e Owner

seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) (11/07/90)

Hey there, everyone.

I am the new owner of an Apple ][e system that I inherited from my
in-laws when they moved on to a Classic Mac.  It's in very good shape
(only driven on Sundays by a computer neophyte) with most of the
manuals.  The configuration is:

     CPU with 80 column card/extra 64K (128K total)
     Amber monitor (I think its an AMDEK)
     2 disk drives (5.25")
     Okidata Microline 92(?) printer
     ProDOS (unknown version)

I am looking for recommendations on software and compilers that may
be available for use for the following:

 1. Telecommunications - what modems are best and what should I look
    for in software?
 2. Compilers/languages - what (if any) languages are available beside
    Apple BASIC?
 3. Word Processing - What packages are recommended and is it possible
    to use a laser printer with a hardware upgrade?
 4. Is there an Apple users group in the Chapel Hill, NC area that I
    could contact for support and shareware/PD software?

That should be enough for a start.  I should note that all of my
experience with micros has been in the IBM/compatible arena and I'm
at a loss where to begin here (it was much easier to troubleshoot my
father-in-law's problems with it - I didn't expect to be owning it and
finding a use for it).  I have a passing acquaintance with ProDOS and
the Pfs software that came with it (again thanks to my in-laws) but
now that it's mine I'd like to put it to use.

Thanks in advance!

Larry Seals @ NC State Education Assistance Authority, RTP, NC
    "Student Loans-R-Us"

seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) (11/16/90)

Well, I finally made it here to comp.sys.apple2. Mucho thanks to those
of you who emailed me to inform me of the demise of comp.sys.apple and
directed me here.

I'm the new owner of an Apple ][e which I inherited from my in-laws
when they moved to Mac-land. It's a low mileage model that looks
like it just popped out of the box.  I haven't had the chance as yet
to pop the top and investigate the internals, but I do have some
questions (most of my experience with micros is in the realm of MS-DOS
based machines).  The only hardware documentation (other than owner's
manual) is on the 80 column card (one on basic 80 column and one on
80 column with 64K).  The disk unit looks like nothing in the owner's
manual.

 1. The unit has an 80 column card with an additional 64K. Does this
    qualify it as a true 128K machine (most of the software I've
    looked at requires at least 128K)?

 2. It has two disk drives side by side in one housing.  I haven't
    discovered a model # on the housing, but it appears to be a true
    Apple unit. Can anyone give me some insight what I might have?

 3. Is adding memory strictly an expansion card process or is there
    a place (sockets) for more memory up to a point?  What chips and
    ballpark pricing? Recommendation for memory expansion cards?

 4. I also received some software with the unit. Can anyone enlighten
    me about:
    MicroSoft Multiplan
    Hacker from Activision
    Music Construction Set from Electronic Arts
    pfs:Write
    pfs:File
    pfs:Plan

Thanks for any info!
Larry Seals @ Trailing Edge Software - "When it doesn't have to be the
                                        very best!"
"I didn't sell my soul, I just took out a loan..." - Bruce Hornsby

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.164246.12745@uncecs.edu> seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) writes:
> 1. The unit has an 80 column card with an additional 64K. Does this
>    qualify it as a true 128K machine (most of the software I've
>    looked at requires at least 128K)?

Yes, you have 128K.  This will let you run stuff such as AppleWorks
and anything that uses double Hi-Res graphics.

> 2. It has two disk drives side by side in one housing.  I haven't
>    discovered a model # on the housing, but it appears to be a true
>    Apple unit. Can anyone give me some insight what I might have?

Sounds like a DuoDisk, which is what I have.  It's two 5.25" drives
with an Apple logo in the lower right corner of the front of the box,
right?

> 3. Is adding memory strictly an expansion card process or is there
>    a place (sockets) for more memory up to a point?  What chips and
>    ballpark pricing? Recommendation for memory expansion cards?

Adding memory will involve getting another card to fit in one of the 8
slots inside the computer.  For a IIe, I'd recommend the Applied
Engineering RamWorks III.  It'll hold up to a megabyte in 256Kx1 chips
(or 256K in 64Kx1 chips, but who uses those anymore?) and includes two
piggyback connectors.  One lets you tack on a card that adds another
two megs in 1Mx1 chips; the other is an RGB option to hook up to
either Apple analog or CGA/EGA-type digital monitors.  I got one just
a few weeks ago and like it a lot.  Quality Computers sells 'em with
256K for $139.  I'd recommend that you get extra chips to fill the
card elsewhere.  BTW, Apple equipment doesn't use that silly
parity-RAM system your average MeSsy-DOS box uses; it's 8 chips in a
set, not 9.

> 4. I also received some software with the unit. Can anyone enlighten
>    me about:
>    MicroSoft Multiplan
>    Hacker from Activision
>    Music Construction Set from Electronic Arts
>    pfs:Write
>    pfs:File
>    pfs:Plan

I had occasion to use some PFS stuff a while back; it sucks, IMHO.
Get AppleWorks--no Apple II is complete without AppleWorks.  Hacker is
an adventure game; the object is to hack into someone else's computer
system (not for real, of course :-) ).  I really don't know a whole
lot about either Music Construction Set or Multiplan since I've never
used either of them.

BTW, I said AppleWorks is a must-have Apple II program.  TimeOut
UltraMacros is also highly recommended.  If you have a modem (or plan
to get one), get ProTERM.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.164246.12745@uncecs.edu> seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) writes:

>    MicroSoft Multiplan

Sounds like you've also got a CP/M card under the hood. You've inherited
a nice machine. I'd recommend Quality Computers for memory expansion.

Bob Church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/17/90)

1.  Yes, this qualifies as a 128K Apple II.

2.  What you have is a DuoDisk.  It should connect to a connector on the
back of the disk controller card.  To insert a disk, put the disk in the
slot and push the door DOWN.  To eject, push the door IN.

3. To add more memory beyond the 128K you have now, you would have to
get some sorrt of expansion card.  You'll have to depend on someone
other than me for advice on expansion cards; I've never had to worry
about needing a pre-GS Apple // with more than 128K.

4. What?   No manuals?  Your in-laws should have manuals for all that
stuff if was actually bought.  See if you can find them.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS

n8948315@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (arthur morgan) (11/17/90)

In article <2308@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu writes:
>In article <1990Nov15.164246.12745@uncecs.edu> seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) writes:
>
>> 4. I also received some software with the unit. Can anyone enlighten
>>    me about:
>>    Music Construction Set from Electronic Arts

I am the owner of a copy of MCS, and I have found it to be (given the
strengths/weaknesses of the //e platform) quite a useful composition program.
I think that it compares favorably with the base level of Music Writer, (a
program put out by Pyware).