[comp.sys.apple2] 5.0.3 & AWGS problem

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (11/13/90)

One of the first things I did with 5.0.3 was to check out the new print
driver.  Well I ran AWGS and pulled in a PageLayout document which I had
produced earlier in COMPRESSED (verticle) mode.

When I went to print it, I had to use Print SETUP first as the driver had
changed.  Doing so and selecting the equivalent of "compressed" (forgot
what its called), I ended up with a page with only half the orginal page
on it.  Quite a pain to deal with older documents when this occurs.

Even though AWGS is not advertised as being compatible with 5.0.3, is this
a bug or could I have averted the problem in some other way?

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: islnds::shatara            |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!islnds!shatara  |

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (11/13/90)

In article <2020@mountn.dec.com>, shatara@islnds (Chris Shatara) writes:
>When I went to print it, I had to use Print SETUP first as the driver had
>changed.

A curious question.  Is this what the Printer.Setup file is for that's
in the drivers directory.  Is it only there to store that last setup
that you used for your printer?  I'm curious because I noticed that on
the 5.0.3 tools disk, there was a separate *.setup file for each type
of printer.  When I gets installed, it gets installed as
printer.setup.  I was trying to install the Laserwriter after
installing the Imagewriter, and it replaced the printer.setup file
that was installed for the Imagewriter printer.  Does it matter?  Does
it make any difference when printing alternatively between the
Imagewriter and the LaserWriter (well, actually, printing to a
Postscript file on disk) which *.setup file gets installed by the
installer?

Thanks,
Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/14/90)

From shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara):

> One of the first things I did with 5.0.3 was to check out the new print
> driver.  Well I ran AWGS and pulled in a PageLayout document which I had
> produced earlier in COMPRESSED (verticle) mode.
>
> When I went to print it, I had to use Print SETUP first as the driver had
> changed.  Doing so and selecting the equivalent of "compressed" (forgot
> what its called), I ended up with a page with only half the orginal page
> on it.  Quite a pain to deal with older documents when this occurs.

    I haven't had any problems using the new driver with AWGS.  I also had to
re-specify the Page Setup options (with the Vertical Condense option checked),
but it printed out beautifully (and much faster than the ImageWriter.CL
driver!)  Does it print out the PL doc with the vertical compression and stop
halfway down the page, or does it fill the whole page with "Tall" graphics?

> Even though AWGS is not advertised as being compatible with 5.0.3, is this
> a bug or could I have averted the problem in some other way?

    AWGS (and most other desktop apps) shouldn't have to be re-written to be
compatible with new system software.  As long as they use the correct tool
calls and stay within reasonable programming guidelines, it should work
without any problems.  Check out the custom GetFile dialog.  The Volumes
button now works as you would expect it to under System 5.0.3.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/14/90)

From rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins):

> A curious question.  Is this what the Printer.Setup file is for that's
> in the drivers directory.  Is it only there to store that last setup
> that you used for your printer?  I'm curious because I noticed that on
> the 5.0.3 tools disk, there was a separate *.setup file for each type
> of printer.  When I gets installed, it gets installed as
> printer.setup.  I was trying to install the Laserwriter after
> installing the Imagewriter, and it replaced the printer.setup file
> that was installed for the Imagewriter printer.  Does it matter?  Does
> it make any difference when printing alternatively between the
> Imagewriter and the LaserWriter (well, actually, printing to a
> Postscript file on disk) which *.setup file gets installed by the
> installer?

    When you select a new printer/port combination from the Control Panel, it
stores the configuration in the printer.setup file in the Drivers folder.  The
IW.PSetup and LW.PSetup and Epson.PSetup, etc. which the Installer uses simply
contains the setup for the particular printer already in the file so you don't
have to make the extra step of choosing the right printer after you install
it.  There is no other difference.

    Does anyone know where the user name is stored?  Everytime a create a
PostScript file, the file header reads something like "User -
(D*&)O#LIRHF)D*Y (#$&(O hf 0" or whatever, with a whole bunch of control codes
thrown in.  When I print this out with a Mac, the user name is so long it
pushes the rest of the info (like the name of the document I'm printing) out
of the dialog box.  Is it stored somewhere in the printer.setup file?

araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) (11/15/90)

In article <2020@mountn.dec.com> shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>One of the first things I did with 5.0.3 was to check out the new print
>driver.  Well I ran AWGS and pulled in a PageLayout document which I had
>produced earlier in COMPRESSED (verticle) mode.
>
>When I went to print it, I had to use Print SETUP first as the driver had
>changed.  Doing so and selecting the equivalent of "compressed" (forgot
>what its called), I ended up with a page with only half the orginal page
>on it.  Quite a pain to deal with older documents when this occurs.
>
>Even though AWGS is not advertised as being compatible with 5.0.3, is this
>a bug or could I have averted the problem in some other way?

Actually, I think the probelm might be AWGS. They seem to like to push things
to their limits, which can be bad when it comes to working with future versions
of operating systems. Anyways, along your lines, I noticed that the new driver
also does not work correctly with the Spreadsheet under AWGS. It basically
attempts to print each row on a separate page, and considering by spreadsheet
had some 120+ rows, this wasn't very reasonable.

                     Internet: araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
               America Online: xela      (Real Life: Alex Raftis)

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (11/17/90)

In article <2741e03a.45ad@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) writes:

> In article <2020@mountn.dec.com> shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
> >One of the first things I did with 5.0.3 was to check out the new print
> >driver.  Well I ran AWGS and pulled in a PageLayout document which I had
> >produced earlier in COMPRESSED (verticle) mode.
> >
> >When I went to print it, I had to use Print SETUP first as the driver had
> >changed.  Doing so and selecting the equivalent of "compressed" (forgot
> >what its called), I ended up with a page with only half the orginal page
> >on it.  Quite a pain to deal with older documents when this occurs.
> >
> >Even though AWGS is not advertised as being compatible with 5.0.3, is this
> >a bug or could I have averted the problem in some other way?

Welcome to the world of changing printer drivers.  No, it's not a bug, it's
"correct" behavior.  Stored with every document (except Comm) is a print
record, so that the page setup "sticks" to the document and not to the session.
When you changed printer drivers, the old print record stored with each
document became invalid and reverted to the new driver's defaults.

AWGS is not "advertised" as being 5.0.3 compatible, because it hasn't been
extensively tested with that new version of the system, similar to when System
5.0 shipped while 1.0v2 was on the market.  We won't claim compatibility
unless we have the test results to back it up.  Hopefully, since this is a
minor rev of the system, there will be fewer incompatibilities than the 4.0 ->
5.0 change.

> Actually, I think the probelm might be AWGS. They seem to like to push things
> to their limits, which can be bad when it comes to working with future versions
> of operating systems. Anyways, along your lines, I noticed that the new driver
> also does not work correctly with the Spreadsheet under AWGS. It basically
> attempts to print each row on a separate page, and considering by spreadsheet
> had some 120+ rows, this wasn't very reasonable.

I couldn't reproduce your results.  Admittedly my test was simplistic: 4 rows
with the digits 1-4, but it all printed on one page.  Possibly you used some
bizarre paper type, like one of the label settings?

However, you're partially right about having problems.  With the ImageWriter
drivers before 4.0, printing in non-draft mode could be a memory hog.  The
way Apple recommends printing would cause the entire image of the printed
document to be in memory at once (not just the data, but a bitmap of the
entire thing).  This could severely limit the number of pages in a printable
document on the commonplace (1.25Mb) machine.  Our work-around was to print a
single page at a time.  This had its own annoyances, but basically didn't
hamper printing of larger documents.
ImageWriter driver 4.0 now supports spooling to disk, meaning that if there's
not enough memory to store the image, parts of it may be written out to the
system disk (dreadful for people without hard drives, but it's added value
without any major drawbacks).  AWGS will not take advantage of this capability
since it still prints a page at a time.

If you're happy with the ImageWriter.CL that ships with AWGS, you should be
able to continue to use it under 5.0.3 without problems.

--
Scott Lindsey     | And if you survive till 2005, I hope you're exceedingly
Claris Corp.      | thin.  For if you are stout, you will have to breathe out