[comp.sys.apple2] Steve Jackson

frostfire7@pro-graphics.cts.com (Michael Satran, SubOp) (11/15/90)

That's not the real reason the CIA raided the GURPS cyberpunk supplement.  IT
was far too accurate in it's descriptions of surveillance techniques for the
CIA's taste.  A great deal of that stuff in the supplement really irritated
the CIA, because some of these methods were used by the CIA themselves.  The
GURPS version of Cyberpunk might as well have been called the CIA basic
training manual.  Once it became clear that they was nothing they could do
about it, the CIA let it be published.
-- Michael Satran

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: frostfire7@pro-graphics.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!frostfire7
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!frostfire7@nosc.mil

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) (11/15/90)

In article <5664@crash.cts.com>, frostfire7@pro-graphics.cts.com (Michael Satran, SubOp) writes:
> That's not the real reason the CIA raided the GURPS cyberpunk supplement.  IT
> was far too accurate in it's descriptions of surveillance techniques for the
> CIA's taste.  A great deal of that stuff in the supplement really irritated
> the CIA, because some of these methods were used by the CIA themselves.  The
> GURPS version of Cyberpunk might as well have been called the CIA basic
> training manual.  Once it became clear that they was nothing they could do
> about it, the CIA let it be published.
> -- Michael Satran

I'd like to point out, for those of you with little or no sense of
humor, that this is a funny posting.

Not *that* funny, considering the political climate, but funny.

Actually, GURPS Cyberpunk was an encoded file which reveals all of the names
of the people who contributed to the Savings and Loan debacle, and the
Trilateral Commission needed to update their mailing list.

[Not enough smilies...]

--
C Irby                             || "Go that way... *really* fast.
Internet:   cirby@vaxa.acs.unt.edu ||  If something gets in your way,

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/16/90)

In article <5664@crash.cts.com> frostfire7@pro-graphics.cts.com (Michael Satran, SubOp) writes:
>That's not the real reason the CIA raided the GURPS cyberpunk supplement.  IT
>was far too accurate in it's descriptions of surveillance techniques for the
>CIA's taste.

If this description of events is correct, then the government agents involved
need to be severely punished.  They supposedly had taken an oath to uphold the
Constitution of the U.S.A., which nowhere empowers federal agencies to
persecute law-abiding citizens.  What their "taste" is is officially
irrelevant, and deliberately so.

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/18/90)

In article <5664@crash.cts.com> frostfire7@pro-graphics.cts.com (Michael Satran, SubOp) writes:
>That's not the real reason the CIA raided the GURPS cyberpunk supplement.  IT
>was far too accurate in it's descriptions of surveillance techniques for the
>CIA's taste.  A great deal of that stuff in the supplement really irritated
>the CIA, because some of these methods were used by the CIA themselves.  The
>GURPS version of Cyberpunk might as well have been called the CIA basic
>training manual.  Once it became clear that they was nothing they could do
>about it, the CIA let it be published.
>-- Michael Satran
>
> Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>
>Internet: frostfire7@pro-graphics.cts.com
>    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!frostfire7
>    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!frostfire7@nosc.mil

	The CIA didn't do diddlys___!  It was the Secret Service. (aka
the SS, or Hitler's personal guard)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM