[comp.sys.apple2] .bsc -> .bny extraction

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/19/90)

... zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	Does someone want to write a C program that will work on UNIX boxes
>so that once a file is sciibin'ed you can run the program and it will
>list the files and their sizes of the NuFX archive?

>	That way if I see something on comp.binaries.apple2 and save it, I don't
>have to dl it if I don't like it.

>	If we could unSHRink the TEXT files then  it would be even BETTER
>so we can read the docs to see if we want it.

That would be very nice.  I thought there was one out there that did
something similar to that, but I don't know its name.  If someone can
point us out to that program I think we'd both like to know.

Also, occasionally I find a file that's been BinSCIIed but has only a .bsc
extension, not .bsq.  Since I sciibin the files, then ftp to a mac, then
xmodem to a BBS (easiest setup for me, especially with the long hours I
have when I have access to the mac) I sometimes end up with programs with
a TXT filetype on the remote system when they are supposed to be BIN or
SYS or something else, and not packed.  A way to sciibin a file into a
Binary II envelope would be very nice to have.  Then I wouldn't need to
worry about filetypes getting lost in the shuffle.  A kind of "BinSCII ->
Binary II" converter.  Packing is not necessary, all I want is the Binary
II envelope around the file (.BXY extensions ya know).  Also, would there
be problems in putting a file that is in a Binary II envelope into a
Binary II envelope, other than increase in file size?

--
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    Do you know what you have done?