[comp.sys.apple2] Mac Sound files --> iie

clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Roth) (11/17/90)

Greetings // fans!  I'm interested in using the Macintosh
sound files (Ones that can be set using the Control Panel as
well as ones used in Sound programs.....sorry, I forget the 'proper'
name) On my //.  (Output either to casette port or speaker)

Any ideas/programs out there that might help?

Thanks!
clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Roth)

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Scott Alfter) (11/17/90)

It wasn't too long ago that I posted just what you're looking for in
rec.arts.startrek.  (Why there?  Someone else posted a sound file
there--it was a line from a ST:TNG episode.)  I'll repost it to
comp.binaries.apple2 as soon as I can repack it.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

In article <1990Nov17.003256.28957@engin.umich.edu> clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Roth) writes:
>Greetings // fans!  I'm interested in using the Macintosh
>sound files (Ones that can be set using the Control Panel as
>well as ones used in Sound programs.....sorry, I forget the 'proper'
>name) On my //.  (Output either to casette port or speaker)

These are 'snd ' resource files.  You will probably want to use a program
on the mac end to convert them to offset binary (also known as SoundCap
or 'FSSD' files).  The format of this file is quite simple-- it contains
positions of the speaker:
$00: fully in
$80: in the middle
$FF: fully out.

You have to convert this to one-bit to use your cassette port or speaker.
This is likely to give very poor results.

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.060912.7488@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>You have to convert this to one-bit to use your cassette port or speaker.
>This is likely to give very poor results.

Says who? :-) I can get 3-bit output from my IIe without any extra
hardware.  Check the program I posted to comp.binaries.apple2.  You'll
be surprised.