[comp.sys.apple2] AWGS Compat. W 5.0.3?

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (11/14/90)

Can anyone from Claris comment on the compatability of the current
version of AWGS (v1.1?) with the new Apple System 5.0.3.

I have been having terrible AWGS Database file corruption problems
under system 5.0.2 with various mixes of DA's and INITS and have never
been able to successfully track any of them down.  The only way I can
guarantee my data file integrity is to make backups of my data before
each launch of AWGS.  Sometimes I have to make updates to my mailing
list two or three times before I get a correct, uncorrupted data file.

This is really wearing me thin.  All the other modules of AWGS seem
fine.

Hopefully some of the tool fixes in 5.0.3 will increase the
reliability of AWGS, but I don't want to install it if Claris knows it
causes problems.

So, comments from the "horses mouth" would be appreciated.....

Thanks in advance.
Seymour Joseph

hartkopf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (11/14/90)

In article <Nov.13.20.19.53.1990.20113@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>Can anyone from Claris comment on the compatability of the current
>version of AWGS (v1.1?) with the new Apple System 5.0.3.
>
>I have been having terrible AWGS Database file corruption problems
>under system 5.0.2 with various mixes of DA's and INITS and have never
>been able to successfully track any of them down.  The only way I can
>guarantee my data file integrity is to make backups of my data before
>each launch of AWGS.  Sometimes I have to make updates to my mailing
>list two or three times before I get a correct, uncorrupted data file.

Well I'm certainly not from Claris, but I have not had the above
mentioned problems with the database module although I use it quite often.
In fact I have had very few problems at all with AWGS 1.1 under either
system 5.02 or 5.03.  It seems to be very robust.

It's probably the DAs and Inits.  Have you tried inactivating them all
and running AWGS without them for a few days?

-- Jeff

Jeff Hartkopf
University of Colorado at Boulder
Internet: hartkopf@snoopy.colorado.edu

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (11/16/90)

In article <29695@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartkopf@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) writes:
>In article <Nov.13.20.19.53.1990.20113@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>>
>>Can anyone from Claris comment on the compatability of the current
>>version of AWGS (v1.1?) with the new Apple System 5.0.3.
>>
>>I have been having terrible AWGS Database file corruption problems
>>under system 5.0.2 with various mixes of DA's and INITS and have never
>>been able to successfully track any of them down.  The only way I can
>>guarantee my data file integrity is to make backups of my data before
>>each launch of AWGS.  Sometimes I have to make updates to my mailing
>>list two or three times before I get a correct, uncorrupted data file.
>
>Well I'm certainly not from Claris, but I have not had the above
>mentioned problems with the database module although I use it quite often.
>In fact I have had very few problems at all with AWGS 1.1 under either
>system 5.02 or 5.03.  It seems to be very robust.
>
>It's probably the DAs and Inits.  Have you tried inactivating them all
>and running AWGS without them for a few days?
>
>-- Jeff
>

>Jeff Hartkopf
>University of Colorado at Boulder
>Internet: hartkopf@snoopy.colorado.edu

Hi folks,
Now that System 5.03 is finally out, I would like to ask the net about a
problem I hat with a beta version of the IW LQ driver:

When trying to print in "Best" mode, using triple-sized fonts as required,
the program was not able to do a correct "full justification" in the word
processor OR in the page layout module. That problem only occured in AWGS,
while other desktop programs like Medley or Mercury worked fine.
For better description: Spacing of the characters was not correct, and the whole
text looked like printed in left justification :-(.
Using standard mode caused no problems.

Has anyone else experienced that problem?

Thanks,
Martin Georg
Frankfurt, Germany
----> Apple II forever! <----

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (11/18/90)

In article <29695@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartkopf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) writes:
> In article <Nov.13.20.19.53.1990.20113@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
> >
> >Can anyone from Claris comment on the compatability of the current
> >version of AWGS (v1.1?) with the new Apple System 5.0.3.
> >
> >I have been having terrible AWGS Database file corruption problems
> >under system 5.0.2 with various mixes of DA's and INITS and have never
> >been able to successfully track any of them down.  The only way I can
> >guarantee my data file integrity is to make backups of my data before
> >each launch of AWGS.  Sometimes I have to make updates to my mailing
> >list two or three times before I get a correct, uncorrupted data file.

> Well I'm certainly not from Claris, but I have not had the above
> mentioned problems with the database module although I use it quite often.
> In fact I have had very few problems at all with AWGS 1.1 under either
> system 5.02 or 5.03.  It seems to be very robust.

I *am* from Claris, but not in an official capacity in this newsgroup.  There
is a known memory blaster having to do with large databases, finds, and saves.
For the time being, the best Seymour Joseph can do is continue with backups,
and possibly try to avoid doing finds before saving a database.  [If anyone
has a 100% reproducible database blaster, we'd definitely be interested in the
file and *exact* system configuration.]

As for 5.0.3, Claris has not certified AWGS 1.1 with System 5.0.3 yet.  We're
presently shipping with 5.0.2.  Certification means thorough testing and full
regression of all bugs ever reported.  (Don't hold your breath waiting for an
announcement.)  Personally, I'm using 5.0.3 and haven't experienced any major
problems (minor ones like Apple's fix to SFPutFile's selection of the file
name breaks our work-around for the bug in 5.0.2... so the file name no longer
comes up selected.  Annoying, yes.  Harmful, not really).  All and all, I think
5.0.3 is more solid than 5.0.2 (and 5.0.2 was pretty good by IIgs standards).
On the other hand, Claris *isn't* saying "*Don't* use 5.0.3" either :-).

--
Scott Lindsey     | And if you survive till 2005, I hope you're exceedingly
Claris Corp.      | thin.  For if you are stout, you will have to breathe out

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (11/20/90)

I have only used the word processor module with 5.03 so far, but I did
notice an annoying little bug/incompatibility.	Open any word processor
file, click in the text somewhere, open a dialog (i.e. Print..., Save As...)
, and then cancel the dialog to return to your text.  Now move the cursor
around with the arrow keys.  An image of the cursor is left imprinted in
the white background of your text.  Scroll that line of text out of the
window, and it takes care of itself.  It's not destructive; just annoying.

I noticed that this problem occurs on the desktop when renaming Files
(shown by Name, Size, etc), but I have never saw it happen in AWGS until
I installed 5.03 on my hd.

In case you were wondering, I have a GS Rom01, 1.25meg RAM, TWGS, DMA SCSI
HD 105meg, mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.  I disabled ALL my inits and
desk accessories to make sure it wasn't just a flaky add-on, but to no0
avail.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Other than this little problem, I
have had no problems whatsoever with 5.03.  And you gotta love that
new printer driver!! :-)

-Dale
prophet@oxy.edu