[comp.sys.apple2] System 5.0.3 query?

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (11/18/90)

A fellow Apple owner asked me if I had heard of any other folks having
their hard disk trashed after using 5.0.3 .  He upgraded his hard disk
and then ran one of the programs to reorganize the disk to remove fragmentation.
The disk ran fine the rest of the day.  The next day he got up, was doing
some work, and when he went to use a telecomm pgm, could not find it.  When
he ran a disk scan on the disk, there were large holes of missing files.
he had backups and backed up to a previous 5.0.3 version but it happened
again.  He then backed off to 502 and has not seen it since.

Personally, I figure it is probably a software incompatibility in
the utilities that he is running.  Are there lists of DAs, INITs, and
programs which do not work with 5.0.3?  Besides SCSI.PART and possibily
AW GS 1.1 that is...
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

philip@generic.UUCP (Philip McDunnough <- changes mind as fast as I gears) (11/20/90)

In article <9011181349.AA17063@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:

[potential problems w.r.t. hard drives and System 5.0.3]

>Personally, I figure it is probably a software incompatibility in
>the utilities that he is running.  Are there lists of DAs, INITs, and
>programs which do not work with 5.0.3?  Besides SCSI.PART and possibily
>AW GS 1.1 that is...

Actually several programs which I have tried under 5.0.2 do not work. The
culprit appears to be(the programs of course) ProDOS8 ver1.9 . For example
Talking Reader Rabbit, Pipe Dream,...do not work.

Apart from the printer drivers, and the ability to run HCGS, what would be
wrong with staying with 5.0.2 ? Was there a problem with it?

It seems that every time the System changes, something else won't work.
This is also true on the Mac. Tools are nice but there are limits! In
particular is there a patch to the programs I mentioned to allow them to
work under 5.0.3? Also, how does one get around programs which don't
return you to the Finder without rebooting?

Philip McDunnough