[comp.sys.apple2] ANSI Terminal program

wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) (10/24/90)

	Hello.  I have a IIgs (and have had since 1987 I'm proud to say).
Every BBS that is local to me is run on an IBM and supports those pretty
little IBM graphics and color :)

	Could someone Email me a place where a program which supports this
type of emulation could be had?  I'd prefer shareware, but I'd also be
willing to look at something commercial.

Thank you..

Scott Wilken

--
                      Internet:  wilken@plains.nodak.edu
                         UUCP:  ..!uunet!plains!wilken

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (10/24/90)

In article <6429@plains.NoDak.edu> wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) writes:

>	Hello.  I have a IIgs (and have had since 1987 I'm proud to say).
>Every BBS that is local to me is run on an IBM and supports those pretty
>little IBM graphics and color :)

I ANSI standard and VT100 different? I don't have anyplace to try it but
had heard that they were actually the same. On the other hand, the person
may have meant that vt100 was *becoming* the ansi standard or some such.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (10/24/90)

In article <2247@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob
Church) says:

>In article <6429@plains.NoDak.edu> wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken)
>writes:
>>
>>       Hello.  I have a IIgs (and have had since 1987 I'm proud to say).
>>Every BBS that is local to me is run on an IBM and supports those pretty
>>little IBM graphics and color :)
>>
>I ANSI standard and VT100 different? I don't have anyplace to try it but
>had heard that they were actually the same. On the other hand, the person
>may have meant that vt100 was *becoming* the ansi standard or some such.

I think he's talking about the ones that give all the flashing colors and
the graphics that VT100 emulators (including snowterm so far) can not emulate.

>bob church
>bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
| Salvatore A. Buttice | Bitnet: SAB121@PSUVM           \_ Preferred    |
| RD#1 Box 488         | InterNet: sab121@psuvm.psu.edu /  (It's Free!) |
| Espyville, PA 16424  | Cleveland FreeNet: aj670 \_ If the above does  |
|   Apple II ForEver!! | America Online: Sal15    /  not work for you!  |

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/24/90)

In article <2247@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>I ANSI standard and VT100 different? I don't have anyplace to try it but
>had heard that they were actually the same. On the other hand, the person
>may have meant that vt100 was *becoming* the ansi standard or some such.

These days, ANSI and VT100 are technically synonymous. However, the ANSI
found on IBMs and such is a mutant of true ANSI or VT100. IBM changed it
to support the IBMs text display more cleanly. Thus, it's not true VT100.
BUT... they're close enough that a color VT100 will work when calling an
ANSI BBS, you just won't get the IBM graphics characters.

>bob church
>bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/25/90)

VT-100 is a subset of ANSI (formally known as ANSI X3.64-1979).  ANSI, as
implemented by most MeSsy-DOS BBSes, includes the liberal use of "IBM
graphics" characters that cause funny things to appear on most other
computers, the Apple II included.  I'm working on a terminal program that
ought to include most of the ANSI stuff.  It will also let you pick either
double Hi-Res (for 8-bit IIs) or 640-mode super Hi-Res (for the GS) for your
display (SHR will offer color, which will probably be impossible for DHR).
A real ZMODEM that works (unlike the fake ZMODEM in ProTERM) will also be
a part of the system.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/25/90)

In article <2247@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>I ANSI standard and VT100 different? I don't have anyplace to try it but
>had heard that they were actually the same. On the other hand, the person
>may have meant that vt100 was *becoming* the ansi standard or some such.

DEC's VT100 implemented a subset of ANS X3.64, plus some DEC-specific
extensions allowed by X3.64.  The so-called "ANSI graphics" supported
by many IBM PC terminal emulators is not, so far as I know, specified
by any actual ANSI standard.

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/25/90)

 There is a IIe/c/gs program called A-gate (I
believe) that lets ya logon to the IBM BBS's and see
their pretty graphix.  You can find it on any of the
3 online services, just search for AGATE ("acm" on
america online, a2 on GEnie, APPPROD on cis)

dlyons@APPLE.COM (David A. Lyons) (10/26/90)

Date:         Thu, 25 Oct 90 12:36:53 SET
From: TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject:      Re: ANSI Terminal program
To: info-apple-request@APPLE.COM

I'm also extremely interested in such an ANSI-emulating com-program.
In my part of the world, there's nothing but those BBS's.
I'm seriously thinking of making my own BBS, but thusfar,
no responses from the US. I had some nice reviews on good programs,
but I'm not going to pay several hundreds of dollars for something I never
saw before. If someone in the States is interested in the first REAL
APPLE II BBS in Belgium, they can always contact me...
Reactions from fellow-europeans welcome.
-----------------cut this strip and put in on the envelop----------------------
Stefan Bracke
Venneborglaan 77
2100 Deurne
Belgium, Europe, Earth
-----------------no refunds--no extra charges--no way--------------------------

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (10/26/90)

Scott Alfter said:
>A real ZMODEM that works (unlike the fake ZMODEM in ProTERM) will also be
>a part of the system.

>Scott Alfter                             _/_
>                                        / v \ Apple II:
>Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
>   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

A working version of Z-Modem would be worth a bundle to a lot of
modem users in my opinion... when can you have it working Scott?  Is tomorrow
too soon? :-)

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (10/26/90)

... 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
> There is a IIe/c/gs program called A-gate (I
>believe) that lets ya logon to the IBM BBS's and see
>their pretty graphix.  You can find it on any of the
>3 online services, just search for AGATE ("acm" on
>america online, a2 on GEnie, APPPROD on cis)

This program was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 once, but as far as I
could tell it wouldn't run.  Recently a working version appeared on a
local system (to me).  I'll see about getting it posted if there is
enough interest.

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /  "Is that really you, or is that a spacesuit and

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/26/90)

In article <90Oct25.193456edt.57643@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>A working version of Z-Modem would be worth a bundle to a lot of
>modem users in my opinion... when can you have it working Scott?  Is tomorrow
>too soon? :-)

Well, I'm stuck in midterms right now--history toorrow morning, philosophy on
Monday morning. :-( Even without those circumstances, though, there's still a
bunch of other stuff to get written:  polish up the modem driver, then write a
display driver and a BIOS to tie the two together and allow the selection of
different display drivers for different emulations.  The BIOS will also tie
in a file transfer protocol, so any type of transfer protocol will probably
be the last thing written.  Personally, I can't wait for me to get a working
ZMODEM put together, either.  I heard from someone, though, that Andy Nicholas
is working on a ZMODEM for the II--only thing my program will do that his
might not will be ANSI emulation, and who knows?  He might even do that, now
that someone's mentioned it. :-)

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/26/90)

On Fri, 26 Oct 90 04:16:47 GMT Hammer T. H. said:
>local system (to me).  I'll see about getting it posted if there is
>enough interest.

Yeah!  I've been looking for that for about six months now!

>--
>     __  _____________  __
>     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /  "Is that really you, or is that a spacesuit and
>      \greg@hoss.unl.edu/   you're inside somewhere, maybe just your brain in a
>       \_\ \_\|_|/_/ /_/    little jar..." -- Stephanie Speck, _Short Circuit_

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (10/27/90)

[Scott Alfter about a term program everyone's waiting for]

About a year ago, I seem to remember someone on c.s.a (Jawaid Bazyar, maybe?)
talking about a 'telecommunications program of the gods' they were working
on.  Does anyone else remember this, or know if it's still coming?  I
personally don't like Proterm, but Kermit has some problems also (mainly
downloading speed of the Kermit protocol).

(Incidently, this is off the point, but I just got a thing from InSync today
about ProTerm 2.2.  If you're a member of a user group, send in your
registration card and InSync will send you $15.)

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (10/27/90)

ANSI an VT100 are different.  Most people, referring to it "every day", will
mix the two up.  They are, by far, different.

A program that will get you ANSI graphics, is called "Agate".  It has been
posted to comp.binaries.apple2.  It was a little hack by Tony Marques (a
fellow Canadian), which showed us that Apple's can do it too.  We bboth admit
it's a lame terminal program.  But for the graphics, it's FINE.

/* Marek Pawlowski, marekp@{generic|pnet91|contact|bkj386|torag|aunix}.uucp */
/* President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding Blvd, PO BOX 32017    */
/* Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.				    */

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (10/27/90)

In article <2205@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
[Stuff about time for programming]
> I heard from someone, though, that Andy Nicholas
> is working on a ZMODEM for the II--only thing my program will do that his
> might not will be ANSI emulation, and who knows?  He might even do that, now
> that someone's mentioned it. :-)

One request that I would like for any terminal emulation is the ability to
emulate a tektronics graphics terminal (or something similar).  On the PC
Kermit we use at Monash University you can do this and get a (rough) plot on
the screen of a fit to data, or a TeX preview.  Such an ability, even though
restricted to a 640 by 200 screen in some of our PC's, is quite critical.

If such an emulation was available for the GS then it would improve the
usefulness no end.  A quick and dirty plot on the screen gives some idea
whether the output is vaguely like the desired one!
--
Stephen Harker
Monash University

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/27/90)

In article <9010261852.AA25771@apple.com> THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") writes:
>About a year ago, I seem to remember someone on c.s.a (Jawaid Bazyar, maybe?)
>talking about a 'telecommunications program of the gods' they were working
>on. Does anyone else remember this, or know if it's still coming?
[...]
>Henry Throop
>THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET
>throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

Hmm.. I seem to remember me saying something about this too...
What do I have to say for myself, Jawaid?

Um, well... Because of some really very poor design re: the IIgs serial
firmware, I'm having to rewrite all modem i/o code. I have to go directly
to the chip to handle baud rates over 4800 baud. I'm in the process of doing
this right now, I don't know how long it will take since the SCC is so
screwey.  I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as that's done
(BTW, this will also result in the long-awaited upgrade to my Modem Manager
tool.)

I'm glad someone remembers (Besides you, Dave!) this project... trust me,
I haven't forgotten it.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
   Apple II Forever!        |                             (B O'Cult)
Comp.Sys.Apple2- Home of the Unofficial Apple II Developer Support Team (DST)

taob@pro-micol.cts.com (Brian Tao) (10/27/90)

    According to the sysop of a Vancouver BBS which Tony Marques frequented
(the author of Agate), the ANSI emulator was a one-time hack, and Tony
probably won't be updating it.  I still have troubles getting it to work with
my GS and GVC 2400 modem.  It doesn't run in colour either.

BT

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\                                                                          /
/    |   |  | | ||| DO NOT CROSS - SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION ||| | |  |   |   \
\                                                                          /
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (10/28/90)

In <41@generic.UUCP> marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) writes:

>A program that will get you ANSI graphics, is called "Agate".  It has been
>posted to comp.binaries.apple2.  It was a little hack by Tony Marques (a
>fellow Canadian), which showed us that Apple's can do it too.  We bboth admit
>it's a lame terminal program.  But for the graphics, it's FINE.

The posting I received of it was a bit corrupted.  I just recently got
ahold of a working version and have reposted it to comp.binaries.apple2.

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/29/90)

On Sat, 27 Oct 90 20:28:13 GMT Hammer T. H. said:

>The posting I received of it was a bit corrupted.  I just recently got
>ahold of a working version and have reposted it to comp.binaries.apple2.

Could someone post this to Apple2-L?

>--
>     __  _____________  __
>     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /  "Is that really you, or is that a spacesuit and
>      \greg@hoss.unl.edu/   you're inside somewhere, maybe just your brain in a
>       \_\ \_\|_|/_/ /_/    little jar..." -- Stephanie Speck, _Short Circuit_

|CENSORED   CENSORED    CENSORED   C |                               |
|ED  CENSORED  CENSORED CENSORED  CEN|  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|ENSORED   CENSORED  CENSORED  CENSOR|  pro-line:                    |
|ORED  CEBSORED  CENSORED  CENSORED C|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

cl114222@ulkyvx.BITNET (Snuggles) (11/02/90)

In some article greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) writes:
>... 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
>> There is a IIe/c/gs program called A-gate (I
>>believe) that lets ya logon to the IBM BBS's and see
>>their pretty graphix.  You can find it on any of the
>>3 online services, just search for AGATE ("acm" on
>>america online, a2 on GEnie, APPPROD on cis)
>
>This program was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 once, but as far as I
>could tell it wouldn't run.  Recently a working version appeared on a
>local system (to me).  I'll see about getting it posted if there is
>enough interest.

I finally got a copy of AGATE yesterday!  I've heard about it for a couple
of months, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  And yes, you're right, there are
some severe problems with it, especially on the ][gs.  But that can be expected
for a program written without access to a ][gs.  The problem lies in the CHARIN
routine in the MI.GSPORT driver.  It's not returning with the carry set when no
character is available, so the program thinks there's always a new character
awaiting and reads it in.  Of course, it's a very easy problem to fix if you
have the source code, but unfortunately I do not.  I'll through a patch together
later today (when I finally get out of class) and send it to America Online.
There's also a problem with the copy buffer that is even easier to fix.
It appears the author simply typed in a wrong lable name on one of his branches.
No big deal.  I'll include that fix in the patch as well.  With these things
working, this is a GREAT start for IBM ANSI graphics emulation.  If anybody
knows the author of this program or knows how to get ahold of him, let him
know that we want him to continue work!  I can't wait to get a full-fledged
ANSI/Zmodem/everything else terminal for my ][gs (even if it doesn't support
color, yet)....

ThomasD

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/03/90)

> If anybody knows the author of this program or knows how to get ahold of
> him, let him know that we want him to continue work!  I can't wait to get a
> full-fledged ANSI/Zmodem/everything else terminal for my ][gs (even if it
> doesn't support color, yet)....

    Tony Marques is the author of Agate.  He lives wa-a-a-ay out in Terrence,
BC, out on the west coast.  I'm not sure of the exact city or address, but
it's displayed in Agate somewhere.  Last I heard, Tony wasn't going to do any
more work on it, since he intended it only to be a one-shot deal.  Maybe if he
gets enough feedback and enthusiasm, he'll start working on it again.  I can't
get it running at all on my GS!  I get to the terminal screen, and then
nothing else works!  I guess I'll be sticking to PSE for now...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (11/03/90)

Thomas
 Although it is still not a full-fledged term program, try using SnowTerm
version 2.03. It uses the SHR screen to emulate a VT100 very well, has a
nicely coded scroll buffer, etc. There is currently no protocol file transfers
(just text) but it is promised for the future. In the letter I sent to John
Snow today (paying my shareware fee!!!) I encouraged him to include XYZmodem
support (including batch). I didn't mention ANSI but I bet it wouldn't be hard
now that he has the VT100 emulation down.

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (11/03/90)

   Tony Marques has absolutely NO intention of continuing, or improving AGATE.

cl114222@ulkyvx.BITNET (Snuggles) (11/07/90)

In some article kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>Thomas
> Although it is still not a full-fledged term program, try using SnowTerm
>version 2.03. It uses the SHR screen to emulate a VT100 very well, has a
>nicely coded scroll buffer, etc. There is currently no protocol file transfers
>(just text) but it is promised for the future. In the letter I sent to John
>Snow today (paying my shareware fee!!!) I encouraged him to include XYZmodem
>support (including batch). I didn't mention ANSI but I bet it wouldn't be hard
>now that he has the VT100 emulation down.

Ok, so I have gathered that Tony isn't going to do any more work on this
program... That's ok, it's great anyway.  I've uploaded the patch to make it
work on the ][gs and to fix the copy buffer problem to America Online and I'd
post it on the comp.binaries thing, but I can't figure out how to.  Hopefully
someone else will get it from America Online and post it here if anyone is
interested.

As for the Snowterm program... Yeah, that's a really nice program too.  I'd
like to see it working in its finished form as well (with ANSI), but right
now I don't see a great advantage to it yet.  With protocol transfers and
ANSI graphics emulation, it'd problably quickly replace all of my terminals.

ThomasD

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (11/11/90)

I have AGATE available on here for Download.  If you call and leave me a note
telling me you saw it on here, I'll Que it to your mail box for the next time
ya call. :)

Mark Steiger

BTW, my BBS number is 218-262-3142 in case it ain't in the sig :)

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (11/12/90)

I have AGATE but I can't seem to get it to work on my GS. Does anyone have
it working on the GS? If so, how?

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu  thingvol@uwlax.bitnet

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/12/90)

From THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU:

> I have AGATE but I can't seem to get it to work on my GS. Does anyone have
> it working on the GS? If so, how?

    I can't get it to recognize my modem.  It manages to make it to the
terminal screen, and I can change the fonts and baud rate, but anything I type
isn't sent to the modem.  I checked all the settings (GS serial port,
2400-bps, echo on, etc.), but to no avail.  Is someone willing to pick up
Agate to finish writing it?

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (11/21/90)

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP writes:

> Although it is still not a full-fledged term program, try using SnowTerm
> version 2.03.

I paid my fee on this one too. It looked like something that has potential.
Five months later... it STILL looks like something that has potential...
but I haven't seen any upgrades from John. (I was going to write Mr. Snow,
but that sounds to my ear like Stephen Snow, a reptilian lawyer trying to
save Salve Regina college's ass from a discrimination ruling).

I would still like to see the guy put some more power into this program.
Maybe he should contact one of the more entrenched term-prog makers
(like Applied Engineering or InSync), and see if they would be into putting
their stuff into the Snow template.

Until I see a lot more features in Snowterm, I'm sticking with ReadyLink.
I really hope I see more from the guy, he looks like the only current hope
for a GS/OS terminal program besides AWGS - and AWGS Communication leaves
a lot to be desired, particularly on transfers; I haven't been able to get
a reliable batch Ymodem download out of AWGS yet.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: