[comp.sys.apple2] Glen Bredon revisited...

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (11/04/90)

Some of you might have remembered the slight 'disagreements' between Mr. Bredon
and Vitesse when Vitesse released their backup and other utilities.  Well, in
my views Mr. Bredon has behaved in a uniquely non-professional manner
throughout this whole affair and I have lost a lot of my respect for him as a
person (though I still respect his work as I have used it for years as a
registered user).

It appears now that I have reason to believe Mr. Bredon has completely gone off
the deep end, according to some recent information I have received.
Apparently Mr. Bredon has not only returned $20 registration fee to one of the
Vitesse people and one of their Beta testers, but he also 'dis-authorized' from
support for his products.  According to Bredon Vitesse's sole purpose has
always been to put him out of business, and thus he assumes that none of the
above individuals need to be registered owners of his products any more.

This behavior is not only completely immature, but highly unprofessional.  In
fact, Mr. Bredon seems unable to understand that the world does NOT revolve
around his works, and that people in the amrketplace have a right to a choice
of applications they use.  From what I can tell from his reactions, he believes
that the programmers at Vitesse are amateurs (the right to which he has), and
that everyone only needs and should use his products (none of his business to
believe so, unless we no longer live in a free economy and he has been elevated
to tyrant).  It is unfortunate, but it appears to me that Mr. Bredon is
suffering from extreme delusions and paranoia and as such has lost any of my
respect for him as a fellow human being and busniessman.  His products might
still be of adequate quality, but I no longer see any reason to recommend them
for this reason.

This is something that, in my mind, has gone alittle too far on his end.  I
have known quite a few of the people at Vitesse and their intention nevcer was
to put him out of business.  In fact, many of their personel and programers
used his products and spoke highly of Mr. Bredon until he started insulting
them for no reason whatsoever.  Needless to say, any sympathy and friends he
had earlier are no longer present.

Anyway, discussion on this subject is invited.

HGarry

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink | Achieve True Wealth and Financial Independence!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    |            Intrigued? - Send E-Mail!
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/04/90)

In article <214@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:
>Anyway, discussion on this subject is invited.

No, it is NOT.  Please keep these personal squabbles out of the
technical newsgroups.  Thanks.

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (11/04/90)

In article <214@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:
>In fact, many of their personel and programers
>used his products and spoke highly of Mr. Bredon until he started insulting
>them for no reason whatsoever.  Needless to say, any sympathy and friends he
>had earlier are no longer present.
>
>Anyway, discussion on this subject is invited.
>
>HGarry

A few years ago on Compuserve I found it necessary to deal with Mr. Bredon.
I was attempting to buy his assembler. I had been told that it was Shareware
and I sent a note to him asking how much it cost and where I should send the
money to. He posted a public reply calling me a thief and ranting about how
he was sick of scum like me stealing from him. I wrote it off to his being a
total asshole and deleted the note. The sysop was Shawn Goodin who spent most
of his time sucking up to Bredon.He undeleted the note and wouldn't allow me
to delete it. He did not, however, resurrect my note to Bredon which was
clearly an attempt to purchase the Big Mac assembler. I bought Orca/M instead
and canceled my Compuserve account.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (11/05/90)

  I must argue with you about your position against Glen Bredon.  When
I bought my ancient CMC 20 meg hard drive from some guy used, it had
ProSel 8 on it.  This was several years ago.  Before the GS came out.
After a while, I found out from various people that there were newer
versions than the one that I had.  So I called Glen up.  Let me
clarify myself, I called Glen, at home, and talked to him about
ProSel.  I told him what version I had, and that I hadn't really
bought ProSel, but that the previous owner of the drive had.  Did Glen
make it a problem for me to update?  Nope.  I mailed him five bucks,
and he mailed me the latest version.  Just like.  No problems at all.
I think most companies would consider it pirating, and make me
purchase a new copy altogether.

  Another instance...  About a year ago I was having problems with the
same hard drive I mentioned above.  I had an old version of the ROMs
on the card for it, and GSOS wouldn't accept the drive.  It's a big
pain the butt to have a drive on a GS and not be able to use GS/OS at
all.  Welp, after posting to the net several times, and getting no
help at all, I sent Glen a piece of mail asking him if he had any
clue.  It turned out that he had the same drive with newer ROMs.  He
had also disassembled the ROM and found a few bugs in it.  So he fixed
the bugs, burned me a copy of the ROM, and mailed it to me for free.
No charge, no nothing.  He covered shipping and the cost of the ROM.

  I haven't found Glen to be some evil guy like you have.  All of my
experiences with him lead me to believe that he's a pretty cool guy.

  Oh well.

		-Greg T.

In article <cbB_jcy00aw387IM0o@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>[other stuff about Glen Bredon deleted]
>I sent Glen a piece of mail asking him if he had any
>clue.  It turned out that he had the same drive with newer ROMs.  He
>had also disassembled the ROM and found a few bugs in it.  So he fixed
>the bugs, burned me a copy of the ROM, and mailed it to me for free.
>No charge, no nothing.  He covered shipping and the cost of the ROM.
	Not like I'm condemning pirating or anything, but it seems you're
saying Glen's a real cool guy because he pirated some ROMs and sent them to
you.

	[I will once again state that I support piracy for testing software]

>  I haven't found Glen to be some evil guy like you have.  All of my
>experiences with him lead me to believe that he's a pretty cool guy.

	Well he sure didn't seem to answer questions from me very well
when I sent him a letter a year or two ago. I even included a SASE, and
he just answered my questions in a word or two where elaboration would
have been appreciated. Seemed kinda strange for someone who wanted me
to BUY his software. [This was about DOS MASTER, and he didn't even say
multiple volumes could be made on one PRODOS volume, which is a capability
that other people on here have said exists.. And I did ask about how
much of a PRODOS device I could use for DOS 3.3!]
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (11/21/90)

Bob Church writes:

> The sysop was Shawn Goodin who spent most
> of his time sucking up to Bredon.He undeleted the note and wouldn't allow me
> to delete it. He did not, however, resurrect my note to Bredon which was
> clearly an attempt to purchase the Big Mac assembler. I bought Orca/M instead
> and canceled my Compuserve account.

About all I use CI$ for these days is trying to pull certain stories off ENS.
I've kind of gotten burned out on PARTI (which is what got me on CI$ in the
first place - I was on the Source before. But ultimately the whole confusion
about the buyout of the Source was what got me looking into Usenet, so....).
I was in HSX for a few months, but was locked out of their forum when I
(horrors) used someone's last name (they decided out of the blue to use
12-step notation and forbid the use of last names).

I never got into the NAUG forums on CI$ very deeply. I considered it once, but
Joe Kohn told me the Apple II area on CompuServe is a waste of time. And at $12
an hour, of money too. And the way messages scroll off on that system is
horrendous - if you're not on every single day you are sure to miss someone's
posting; you'd think with the money they charge they could put some more
capacity in their systems. Oh well, I'm sure some suckers will stay with
CI$ city. As it is, they're the only ones I know of who have newswire clipping,
so that's really the only reason I'm on there anymore.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: