[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Magazines

ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu (Eric Hsu) (11/22/90)

In artcle <9011210057.AA27766@apple.com> $CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:

>I remember Softalk...damn fine rag. Someone should start publishing that
>again.
>>Does anyone remember A+ by itself??  Does anyone now have a subscription to
>>Incider/A+???  Who thinks that A+ was a far better magazine than the magazine
>>that swallowed A+ up?  :)   Just curious...
>
>I for one don't...many times I found myself accusing A+ of doing just what
>inCider/A+ is doing now...inCider was fine until they bought A+ (well, I
>didn't subscribe or buy inCider before they bought A+, to me, they were too
>educationally oriented...too many Stickybear reviews) A+ was every bit the
>paid propaganda mouthpiece that inCider/A+ is today (that is, after all,
>IDG's forte - propaganda mouthpiece made to order). One hundred times out of
>one hundred, I'd take Softalk over A+ or inCider/A+.
>
>Anybody remember Peelings II, or Micro?

I'll second the opinion on A+... although it sure looked nice.
Softalk was fantastic. I read it cover to cover (except for the
fiction they published. Even then, there was one good screen with a story
about a son who has turned into a sandwich confronting his dad...).

I never got mine free though... I got mine from my school when they were tossing
them.

I only saw one issue of Peelings II, which I thought was straight-talking and
extremely helpful. I found it in a stack of old magazines, and by that time
it had gone out of business.

Byte and Infoworld used to pay attention to the Apple II, but sometime around
the entry of the Mac they started targeting business and professional
markets... too bad. I find the early Bytes very interesting, though.

So... Open-Apple is now A2-Central??

Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc9.Bitnet, ehsu@husc9.harvard.edu

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (11/23/90)

In article <4794@husc6.harvard.edu> ehsu@husc9.UUCP (Eric Hsu) writes:
>So... Open-Apple is now A2-Central??

Yes; they've gone by the name "A2-Central" since February 1989.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/