[comp.sys.apple2] Data Recovery

Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/16/90)

I have a 5.25" disk with a trashed directory but text data that is
intact on the disk.  I can view the text using a sector editor such
as Block Warden, but I want to get these blocks of data into a file.

Is there a utility available that will read arbitrary blocks of data
from a ProDOS disk and put them into a file on another disk?

Barring that, is there a disk archiver around that will read an entire
disk and put the data into a file *without* compression?

Once I've got the data in a file, I can use various programs to filter
out the non-ascii junk.  It's just getting it into a file that's got
me stumped.

internet: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
bitnet:   userlsf@ubcmtsg

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Randal John Vose) (11/16/90)

HELP!  The other day one of my data disks crashed completely, :-(  and I
(unforunately) don't have a data recovery program.  It's a 3.5" ProDOS 8
disk, and I'm running a 128K //e...can anyone give me some info on any
available 3.5" disk recovery programs?  (before you say it, I know, I know,
I should have had a backup... :-( stupid me... )  Any input would be
much appreciated...especially if I can FTP one from somewhere...

Thanks...

        Randy Vose              | 1> Eveything is a learning experience.
rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu       | 2> Be careful! You may get what you want.
  University of Illinois        | 3> "I told you so."
     Urbana/Champaign           |     -- Dianne Harmon's rules of life...

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/24/90)

In <2561893@mtsg.ubc.ca> Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:

>... is there a disk archiver around that will read an entire
>disk and put the data into a file *without* compression?

There was Copy II Plus v7.2 which would do that.  (I'm not sure about the
others in the v7.x range, but I am about v7.2.)  It will copy a whole
5.25" disk into a singe file without compression.  It was used as a way to
make multiple copies of a disk if you had the ability to configure a
RAMdisk large enough.  (It wouldn't load the whole disk into memory before
copying yet.)  The destination disk however must have 280 ProDOS blocks
free; a blank, formatted 5.25" disk won't do it.  (Resulting filetype
was defined by v7.2 as IMG, but I don't know what the hex-type is now...
it isn't an official/reserved type.  If there is an IMG type now, it
probably isn't the same.)

>Once I've got the data in a file, I can use various programs to filter
>out the non-ascii junk.  It's just getting it into a file that's got
>me stumped.

You could create a file with the same length on another disk, then copy
the file block-by-block from the old disk to the new disk, skipping the
lookup block table of course.  There are programs which will extract the
file better, but I don't know their names, and I've never used them.

--
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    "I'm working the Eight Minus Zero Shift..."