[comp.sys.apple2] Shrinkit 3.03 question

dpalermo@aludra.usc.edu (Dan Palermo) (11/14/90)

   I have been using Shrinkit 3.03 for a while when I noticed that when I
copy entire directories from my RAM disk to 3.5" part of the directory name
is chopped off (from the front) when the files within are copied generating
funny directories or possible errors (invalid pathnames ie: MY.DIR => .DIR)
It almost seems like the length of the path combined with the name of the
first file in the directory determines how much of the directory name is lost.

   Thinking that this was strange enough, I checked out the older versions.
I discovered that the previous version I had (3.01) also did the same
thing to me.  For some reason I also had an even older backup of Shrinkit
(version 2.27 ?), but this one did NOT exhibit this behavior.

   I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen themselves or if it
is due to my setup:  (Is Andy out there somewhere? ;-)

	Apple //c
	Prodos 8 v1.8
	Unidisk 3.5
	AE Z-RAM Ramdisk driver installed
	AE Clock driver installed

Thanks,

   Dan Palermo
   dpalermo@usc.edu

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (11/14/90)

>   I have been using Shrinkit 3.03 for a while when I noticed that when I
>copy entire directories from my RAM disk to 3.5" part of the directory name
>is chopped off (from the front) when the files within are copied generating
>funny directories or possible errors (invalid pathnames ie: MY.DIR => .DIR)
>It almost seems like the length of the path combined with the name of the
>first file in the directory determines how much of the directory name is lost.
>   Thinking that this was strange enough, I checked out the older versions.
>I discovered that the previous version I had (3.01) also did the same
>thing to me.  For some reason I also had an even older backup of Shrinkit
>(version 2.27 ?), but this one did NOT exhibit this behavior.
[...]

     I noticed this on v3.0.  I mailed Andy about it, but I never got a reply.
Does anyone know why this is?  It's a pain when I download to /RAM5, unshrinkit
a file to see if I want it, and not be able to copy it to a floppy.  PITA.
     I'm on a GS, using /RAM5, with 1.25meg, ProDOS v1.7, ShrinkIt 3.03.

>   Dan Palermo
>   dpalermo@usc.edu
							Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield			      brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign    {..!}uiucuxc!uiucux1!brownfld
Junior, Computer Science/Engineering.

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/18/90)

	Does someone want to write a C program that will work on UNIX boxes
so that once a file is sciibin'ed you can run the program and it will
list the files and their sizes of the NuFX archive?

	That way if I see something on comp.binaries.apple2 and save it, I don't
have to dl it if I don't like it.

	If we could unSHRink the TEXT files then  it would be even BETTER
so we can read the docs to see if we want it.

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

msuacm@plains.NoDak.edu (MSU ACM Student Chapter) (11/19/90)

Perhaps you might want to try Andy McFadden's "Nulib" program which supposedly
unshrinks the Shrinkit archives.  I say supposedly not to slap Andy in the face
but because the damn thing would never compile on my schools AT&T system.
Granted I don't know a lot about C but I did set the machine type up correctly
but just couldn't get it to compile... then the mail with the errors I sent to
Andy got bounced back.  ramble ramble ramble

I asked for this before... but never got a reply except for "if you get a copy,
I want a copy too" message... does anyone out there have a copy of their
Wildcard disk that they could binscii and e-mail me???  Preferably the wildcard
plus disk since I don't know how compatible the software is between the WC
types.

Just a note... if anyone tries to download chameleon from the brown archives...
you will need to do the following once you've exec'ed the file.

]bload cham.system,a$2000
]bsave cham.system

The file needs to be run at $2000, alternatively you could type ...
]brun cham.system,a$2000
everytime you want to run it... but why would you want to???  Also... if you
have a filetype changer program on hand (also available from the brown server,
change the filetype to a SYS file... that's what it's supposed to be.

Sorry about the length
Eric Ondler
<msuacm@plains.nodak.edu>

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/24/90)

In article <6862@plains.NoDak.edu> msuacm@plains.NoDak.edu (MSU ACM Student Chapter) writes:
>Perhaps you might want to try Andy McFadden's "Nulib" program which supposedly
>unshrinks the Shrinkit archives.  I say supposedly not to slap Andy in the face
>but because the damn thing would never compile on my schools AT&T system.
>Granted I don't know a lot about C but I did set the machine type up correctly
>but just couldn't get it to compile... then the mail with the errors I sent to
>Andy got bounced back.  ramble ramble ramble
	Well I got LOTS of mail reccomending this.  Thanks to all.
Says alot about Apple ][ users as compared to the MUCH bigger reader base on
other groups when I asked a simple question. (Such as on a.f.c about
what Adventure was) I only get two replies.
	Someone said he'd mail it to me. (Thanks) And if anyone want it mailed
to them, I have it here.  Maybe it should be posted to c.s.a?

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/25/90)

In <6862@plains.NoDak.edu> msuacm@plains.NoDak.edu (MSU ACM Student Chapter) writes:

>Just a note... if anyone tries to download chameleon from the brown archives...
>you will need to do the following once you've exec'ed the file.

>]bload cham.system,a$2000
>]bsave cham.system

>The file needs to be run at $2000, alternatively you could type ...
>]brun cham.system,a$2000
>everytime you want to run it... but why would you want to???  Also... if you
>have a filetype changer program on hand (also available from the brown server,
>change the filetype to a SYS file... that's what it's supposed to be.

How about this:

]catalog  [note file length on far right of catalog line with CHAM.SYSTEM]
]bload cham.system,a$2000
]delete cham.system             [trust me]
]create cham.system,tsys
]bsave cham.system,Tsys,A$2000,L[that file length]

That'll take care of it too.

--
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    "I'm working the Eight Minus Zero Shift..."