[comp.sys.apple2] Looking for plotting software

mccann@plains.NoDak.edu (Lester I. McCann) (10/30/90)

I'm looking for a Apple II/IIgs program that plots graphs of sets of
data, allows multiple sets of data per graph (that is, more than one
line per graph), allows linear and logarithmic scales, and can print
the graphs on an Imagewriter in good quality and in a variety of
sizes (up to a full page).  It would be nice if it were also inexpensive,
but I'll take all suggestions.  Please post your replies, if possible;
I'm sure that there must be others who would be interested in such a
tool.  Thanks for your help.

Lester McCann
mccann@plains.nodak.edu

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (10/30/90)

mccann@plains.NoDak.edu (Lester I. McCann) writes:

>I'm looking for a Apple II/IIgs program that plots graphs of sets of
>data, allows multiple sets of data per graph (that is, more than one
>line per graph), allows linear and logarithmic scales, and can print
>the graphs on an Imagewriter in good quality and in a variety of
>sizes (up to a full page).  It would be nice if it were also inexpensive,
>but I'll take all suggestions.  Please post your replies, if possible;
>I'm sure that there must be others who would be interested in such a
>tool.  Thanks for your help.

>Lester McCann
>mccann@plains.nodak.edu

SuperCalc 3A does all of this, I think.  I used it with an HP 7475 a few
years back and it does an excellent job.  It has very nice plotter fonts
too.

It requires an enhanced Apple IIe, or a GS (I think there was a patch to
make it work with the built in serial port).

SuperCalc 3A is a spreadsheet, by the way, and is from Computer
Associates, formerly Sorcim.

Rick Fincher
rnf@catt.ncsu.edu

bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) (11/02/90)

Beagle Bros. TimeOut Graph does several of those things, although I don't
believe it works with APPleWorks 3.0 or gs.  There are several different
graph styles and at least two sizes and you are allowed multiple lines per
graph.  As far as the exponentiation is concerned, I think you might be out of
luck - as a function of what the spreadsheet can calculate - but you should rent
it and give it a try.  If you like it, buy it.

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca  (please note the lower case)

A - mazing               //     //       ___
P - rovocative          //     //     //    \\
P - enetrating         //     //     //      \\
L - imitless          //     //      ||||||||||
E - ducational       //     //       \\
                    //     //         \\ __ //
--

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca       (Please Note the Lower case!!)

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (11/03/90)

I used to use Interactive Microware's Scientific Plotter and theire
other program, Curve Fitter.  It can output to an Imagewriter, and
can use an HP plotter for an extra cost.

It only plots one set of data per graph.  I wanted multiples, so I
would save each graph (it uses HGR1 or 2, I don't remember which) as a
BIN file.  I have a machine language rountine that OR's two screens,
so with multiple graphs with the same axes, I can just sum the images.
I can put as many graphs together as I want.  It gets awkward since
they usually have the same symbols for data points.

The Curve fitter program let me use polynomial and other fits to the
data, which can also be superimposed with the original data points.

The programs were not expensive, something like $25 to $75.  They are
written in Applesoft BASIC, so they can be modified also.  I did some
mods that let me run in an automatic mode, where the data would get
read in, curve fitted, plotted, and saved to disk, and then go one to
the next dataset.
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/25/90)

In article <83@braille.uwo.ca> bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) writes:

>Beagle Bros. TimeOut Graph does several of those things, although I don't
>believe it works with APPleWorks 3.0 or gs.  There are several different

	My version of Graph works with 3.0 and a ROM 01 GS.

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM