[comp.sys.apple2] System Disk 5.0.3 hang problems

max@ (Max Heffler) (11/11/90)

The hang problem I posted about earlier occurs with both GSSHK and AWGS.
I get the little watch forever.  When I mentioned that System Disk 5.0.2
had worked in the past, this was with the Apple DMA High Speed SCSI driver
installed.  With System Disk 5.0.3, I assumed the SCSI driver was the
appropriate one.  Was this a mistake?  Do I need to reinstall the Apple DMA
High Speed SCSI driver?  Thanx...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/12/90)

    Better be safe:  re-install the SCSI driver that came with the DMA card.
Have you had this problem with any other desktop application?  I know both
GS/ShrinkIt and AppleWorks GS use modified StandardFile dialog boxes, so there
might be some arcane bug in that.  Guess they never thought someone would have
more than 20 partitions on a hard drive...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/12/90)

In article <158@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>    Better be safe:  re-install the SCSI driver that came with the DMA card.

Ack!  That's hardly "safe"; the driver that came with the card was for
GS/OS 5.0.2, and who know whether or not it would work with 5.0.3.
By the way, I've been using 5.0.3 with no apparent DMA SCSI problems.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/13/90)

From gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn):

> Ack!  That's hardly "safe"; the driver that came with the card was for
> GS/OS 5.0.2, and who know whether or not it would work with 5.0.3.

     What's wrong with that?  If it crashes, then he is no better off than
before.  If it works, then all the better!  I am assuming, of course, that he
is NOT modifying his only copy of 5.0.3!

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

max@lgc.com (Max Heffler) (11/13/90)

Somebody suggested I try the Tab key to avoid my hand problem with the
Volume button.  It works as before.  Then the Volume button works.  I
have to do some more testing, but there seems to be some initialization
problem that the Tab clears up for the Volume key to work in my 20
partition environment.  It is a pain to have to use a workaround, but
less of a pain than delaing with 5.0.2 limitations.  Thanx to everybody
that offered advice...
--

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (11/20/90)

In article <158@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>I know both GS/ShrinkIt and AppleWorks GS use modified
>StandardFile dialog boxes, so there might be some arcane bug in that.

The hooks in the modified standard file dialog box routines have stricter
requirements for register saving under 5.03 than they did under 5.02.
I cannot remeber of hand, its been quite a while since I played with it,
but I think you must save restore basically everything (including the
direct page and data bank registers) for the hooks in 5.03 routines, while
this was not strictly necessary under 5.02, even though the docs said you
should. When I was first playing with it I found a few things that crashed
under 5.03.
John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (11/25/90)

Interestingly enough, I find myself having less trouble with disk
dialogs now with 5.0.3.

When I was using 5.0.2, I always had to remember with certain programs,
notably GSHK, TextDragon, and a couple other desktop programs, to not
out a disk in the drive other than the one the application was running
off before going into the disk dialog. If I did, guaranteed, it would
stop in its tracks after polling the drive and freeze clear through
to China. I haven't had that problem since I started using 5.0.3,
nonstandard dialogs notwithstanding.

Of course, there's the other classic problem I have to watch with GSHK:
namely that the quit routine on GSHK sometimes freezes in a way that
the reset to reboot wipes out the RAMDISK.

Even that seems to be happening less often with the update though.
--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: